Menu

What hangs above your bed?

We have a big landscape style wedding picture printed on canvas, so it looks like a painting, on the wall behind our bed. Several weeks after our wedding we had a photo shoot outside on some bluffs on the Pacific Ocean. In this particular one, you can see the ocean in the background and a lighthouse as well. We look fairly small in it, which is all to the good.

One nice fringe benefit of this photo shoot is that there is a picture of us walking along the beach, in the sand, holding hands. We put that one in our wedding album as a symbol of our tropical honeymoon, although it was taken on a windy, chilly day in Northern California.

The photo shoot was included in the price of our wedding package.

Ours is hard to explain...When we moved here we bought a wire to hang a quilt (that friends had given us for our wedding) over our bed. (In our previous house our bed was under a window so we had nothing over the bed.) The quilt ended up looking too much like an odd flag so we took it down. But we still had the wire.

Dh makes our Christmas cards every year. One year he used Madonna and child stamps centered in a cardboard frame as the card. So we ended up taking five of the leftover cards and hanging them by very thin wires from the other wire. It's hard to explain but the effect is nice, five small pictures suspended over the bed.

Dh has always had a fear of hanging a picture over the bed because he thinks it will fall down in the middle of the night. I think this is irrational as pictures don't just fall off the walls. But the wire thing worked for both of us.

ETA: I see many people have the same fear. We don't really get earthquakes here though (ok, one last summer but that was a once in a lifetime thing) so I still think it's irrational.

Edited by Alice

I have a generic painting above mine. It looks crooked here due to my angle. What I really want is a headboard with a lot of texture but can't find what I have in mind and have no time to make one.

6181663647_6f8f45d460.jpg

It took me a long time to post this since baby thinks it's funny to lay in the dog's bed, climb the bookcase, and things like that.

Nothing. My mom always taught us that it's safer to have nothing hanging directly over your bed in case it were to fall during the night and hurt you. *She did not (nor did I) grow up in earthquake country, but my grandmother is the queen of superstitions, so I'm sure there's some relationship there! And the "knowledge" was passed down. ;)

I have a generic painting above mine. It looks crooked here due to my angle. What I really want is a headboard with a lot of texture but can't find what I have in mind and have no time to make one.

It took me a long time to post this since baby thinks it's funny to lay in the dog's bed, climb the bookcase, and things like that.

Oh my word, that baby is gorgeous. And the picture is nice too!~

What book is that by baby?

Attachedto4 and Scarlett:

Thanks for the kind words about the photos and cats. I took the three photos above the bed and am unduly pleased with the effect of framing and grouping them. That my husband thought the idea was cool really boosted my confidence, so you can imagine what the kind words of "strangers" does for me. (*smile*) As for the cats, they are pretty ones: The big gray fellow is thirteen now; his partner in crime, Jenny Linsky, is 3.5. They're both indoor cats.

What book is that by baby?

It's Guess How Much I Love You. We've had it since my 11 yr old was a baby and it's always been a favorite. It's hard to see in this particular pic, but the baby was wearing a cloth diaper with a print from the book on it and I was trying to photograph him in the diaper with the book. (Which is why he's holding a graham cracker on the bed- bribery. I had to change the bedding afterwards.)

Attachedto4 and Scarlett:

Thanks for the kind words about the photos and cats. I took the three photos above the bed and am unduly pleased with the effect of framing and grouping them. That my husband thought the idea was cool really boosted my confidence, so you can imagine what the kind words of "strangers" does for me. (*smile*) As for the cats, they are pretty ones: The big gray fellow is thirteen now; his partner in crime, Jenny Linsky, is 3.5. They're both indoor cats.

It looks great! I love Jenny Linsky's name, that's a favorite book here.

By the way, these are the images, if you're interested: one, two, three.

Those are great! I love how cheerful they look.

In our last house, which we built as our dream house, we had a set of library lamp/sconces. I always wanted some right over our bed so we could read in our bed!

This house I hung a set of antique botanical prints that were in the guest room in the old house. There are 4 of them about 8 x 11 so they are hung in a rectangular pattern over the center of the bed.

Good luck,

ReneeR

It's Guess How Much I Love You. We've had it since my 11 yr old was a baby and it's always been a favorite.

I thot so! I read that to ds11 when he was a baby and it is/was :( a favorite here too. LOVED that book.

We do still use the expression, love you to the moon and back. My mom bought him a plague with that on it.

A 36" x 24" print of Gustav Klimt's "Tree of Life" in a contemporary dark wood frame on a medium purple accent wall with 2 oil rubbed bronze/circular mirrored wall sconces on either side of painting. They hold teal mosaic candle holders. On the side of bed on other wall I have Gustav Klimt's "the Kiss" in a much smaller size. I didn't want it glaring at the general public & dc. I'm fine with it, but don't need to make guests double take, some might be not so appreciative. Obviously not in eartquake country or would reconsider choices.

We don't have a headboard as we have a dark wood contemporary platform bed.

A 36" x 24" print of Gustav Klimt's "Tree of Life" in a contemporary dark wood frame on a medium purple accent wall with 2 oil rubbed bronze/circular mirrored wall sconces on either side of painting. They hold teal mosaic candle holders. On the side of bed on other wall I have Gustav Klimt's "the Kiss" in a much smaller size. I didn't want it glaring at the general public & dc. I'm fine with it, but don't need to make guests double take, some might be not so appreciative. Obviously not in eartquake country or would reconsider choices.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Gustav Klimt!!

That's beautiful.

That is stunning! So sexy!!

Thank you!

Wow.

Um, thanks? LOL. I can't read your wow.

My friend took my wedding photos...we got married in a B&B (but didn't stay there for honeymoon) and sneaked off upstairs for some cool photos while everyone was getting the refreshments ready.

Right now, we have a framed print with the words "Always Kiss Me Goodnight" above our bed. Soon that will be replaced by large prints of these:

[ATTACH]7480[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7481[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7482[/ATTACH]

Oh these are so pretty! And I have pillow cases with 'Always kiss me Goodnight' along with each our names on the end....I love them.

Oooh....love this. I wanted something like this above our bed, then remembered, 'hey we have a cool 'kiss' wedding picture.' And it was free. I took an old family picture out of a framed/matted frame and used it.

Nothing. Throughout my life, I have never put anything on wall above my bed.

:iagree:

1. Our headboard is somewhat tall.

2. The concept of something hung above the bed creeps me out -- I picture it falling on us in the middle of the night. I vaguely recall that one of the basics of feng shui it to not having something heavy hanging on the wall over your bed, and I'd prefer to simply nix everything regardless of weight.

:iagree:

1. Our headboard is somewhat tall.

2. The concept of something hung above the bed creeps me out -- I picture it falling on us in the middle of the night. I vaguely recall that one of the basics of feng shui it to not having something heavy hanging on the wall over your bed, and I'd prefer to simply nix everything regardless of weight.

I am surprised at the number of people who don't want something over their bed. It has never crossed my mind that it could be a concern....but it might now! :001_huh:

I don't currently have anything hanging over the headboard. We have a fairly large upholstered headboard. I am getting ready to move it and then I am going to get this metal frame thing that you drap fabric over to put over it. I do have other paintings in the room though. There is currently a ceiling fan directly over the bed but it won't be there when we move the bed.