Menu

From FLL to MCT - Question

manyblessings

We currently use FLL for our 1st and 3rd graders but are considering switching our oldest to MCT Island level. Not because it isn't working but rather in hopes that it will pull her in more, and she will get more out of it.

I'm curious though if anyone has switched from FLL to MCT just to end up switching back to FLL.

Well, I have MCT but I am not using it until next year (official 3rd grade.) I did not do formal grammar in 1st, and we are going through FLL3 this year. I love MCT but I really felt lilke we needed a more scheduled out, concrete grammar study for one year first. I think if you have gone through FLL3 you will be happy using it. I don't think I'd want to do 2 years in a row of FLL3, as we would tire with it. MCT is definitely more interesting....maybe that is not the right word, but if you look through them side by side you get what I'm saying. We read through much of grammar island and enjoyed it, but then I realized since this was our first real intro to grammar, it wasn't quite right for this year.

I didn't use FLL, but I did use a more traditional grammar program--GWG--before switching to MCT. We did Island and Town, then switched to Hake this year. I decided to move away from MCT this year because my son needed more input on things like punctuation and capitalization. I intend to do ML1 after Hake then another level of Hake. I haven't thought beyond that yet.

I am very happy that we used MCT for those two years. It gave my son a really good understanding of the big picture. Right now Hake is giving him an up close look at the details. I think that going back and forth will be helpful.