Menu

High school secular science that you really like? Any format

We start with physical science next year (I guess, lol), but I'd love recs on any high school secular science that you have used and liked. Textbook, online, I am open to any format as long as it is secular, thorough, and accurate enough to be taught "as is" - - I do not have the science mojo to spot lots of inaccuracies.

I'm willing to pay a good bit for something excellent, but I'm not willing to pay a lot extra just to have it online or just to not have to schedule it.

Thanks!

We start with physical science next year (I guess, lol), but I'd love recs on any high school secular science that you have used and liked. Textbook, online, I am open to any format as long as it is secular, thorough, and accurate enough to be taught "as is" - - I do not have the science mojo to spot lots of inaccuracies.

I'm willing to pay a good bit for something excellent, but I'm not willing to pay a lot extra just to have it online or just to not have to schedule it.

Thanks!

UCCP has AP Environmental Science (a common freshman option at local public schools) and Biology (both AP and standard available).

The Open Access courses don't have assessments included. We'll probably use sample tests from AP test booklets as a test bank or write our own tests.

We're doing Biology - but for future reference if you'd like it - I use Miller Levine and love it :)

:iagree:

We are loving Miller Levine Biology this year. I bought the textbook new, then got the free online resources with it. It provides labs, tests, TM, online book, and lots of videos and animations too.

Ds is my anti-biology guy and has really enjoyed this year!

We don't use a canned program. I've worked with texts and study guides. Dd works best when I impose a narrative on the problem solving. I like to change variables and maybe call to mind reality shows such as "The Biggest Loser", cooking shows, Star Wars, sci-fi stories with aliens and a running comparison of Hummer vs. Prius. Exercises like these working off the basic questions in the book lead to better conceptual grasp. I try to have her generate graphs and tables to experience the data. She is happier about science (which she loves) when we do things this way. I found a lot of creative incentive and inspiration looking at some of the tests on the MIT Open Course sites.

Derek Owens offers both physical science and physics via distance learning. You may read my review of the physics program here.
Derek's physical science is available for purchase here:

http://www.lucideducation.com/

$172 includes a cd with the video lectures, student notebook, and teacher cd with tests and answer keys. I believe it's the same as his distance-learning option, but the parent does all of the grading at home. The first two chapters are available to try for free online-not sure if you will find the labs, homework, or tests there.

We're doing Biology - but for future reference if you'd like it - I use Miller Levine and love it :)

Actually, I was reading some old threads, and I'm thinking we may do biology in 9th! She has done "middle school" physical science, and could fit in a refresher/additions this spring. So if y'all could point me to the text and the online resources, awesomeness would ensue.

I'm taking notes on all the thoughts and recs in this thread; please keep 'em coming! I will write up a master list with notes, and then I can cut and paste when others post this question :001_smile:

After *forcing* ourselves through Apologia Biology (both DSs), and Apologia Chemistry (older DS), we switched to Conceptual Physics (by Paul Hewitt) and Conceptual Chemistry (by John Suchocki).

While we missed the Christian viewpoint by switching away from Apologia to secular CC and CP, we were SO much HAPPIER and regained our love of science! We used various TOPS units and other kits (from Home Science Tools website) and matched them up to the textbooks for the labs. (You really do need something in addition to the CC or CP for labs. While each has several very simple hands-on things in each chapter (experiments that REALLY do work, and REALLY do use things you have handy around the house), it is NOT enough to count towards the lab portion for a science credit.)

While CC has no teacher manual, it has great support at the website (short videos matched to each chapter; practice worksheets; exams; solutions; etc.). I was able to find a 2nd ed. Conceptual Chemistry (c. 2004) for about $30. The current 4th edition came out in 2010, and is what the website videos are synched up to; with a little effort, you can "mix and match" the videos to fit with older editions.

The Conceptual Physics was more expensive (about $100) -- but it came as the complete set of student textbook, teacher edition textbook, lab book, student problem-solving workbook, and teacher edition/answers to the problem-solving workbook. Plus, the homeschooler who sold it to me threw in two extra books for free, with ideas for physics labs and projects! There is no support website for CP.

Wish I could have found something we loved for Biology! BEST of luck in finding what works well for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

We've used Glencoe textbooks for science for 3 years now. I have a college student tutor my son, and they are really comfortable with the Glencoe format. I buy older editions (not outdated, just not the latest editions) and I get the teacher's wrap-around editions for the tutor. I just make sure the teacher's edition and the student edition are from the same year. There are also lab manuals, manuals of extension activities, and things like that available. I have purchased all of these from Amazon.com, usually for under $30 per year.