Menu

Tell me your thoughts? Mark Driscoll's new book. CC

Well, what I've read of the many reviews circulating in the bloggosphere, I'm inclined to think, "TMI."

But I haven't read it and probably won't. I'm not a great fan of marriage books.

Thank you, Daisy. I used to be a huge Driscoll fan, my beliefs have changed, but when I saw some of the other staff Pastor's I used to serve with recommending this book I became curious.

This is the first I've heard of it. Tbh, I'm not a Driscoll fan, having read another of his books and listened to some of his podcasts. I did quickly read the linked chapter and felt a spark of hope that maybe things are better now when he said that he became chauvanistic and that tone infiltrated his preaching for a time, which he now regrets. However, the timeline looks to me like I missed the part of his preaching that he regrets and I still find him chauvanistic. In that first chapter he takes a jab at Catholic priests for being celibate and "wearing a dress" and talks about finding a church with men who hunted and were masculine. I can't get past stuff like that and am quite certain I wouldn't even be able to glean the truth that may well be in his book through the red haze that would be my anger....

I blundered right into that one ;)

Thanks for the taking the time to write that review.

:iagree: Sorry, Susan- I hadn't seen yours before. Very well written and I appreciate your perspective....the celebrity of it certainly weighs into the picture.

This is the first I've heard of it. Tbh, I'm not a Driscoll fan, having read another of his books and listened to some of his podcasts. I did quickly read the linked chapter and felt a spark of hope that maybe things are better now when he said that he became chauvanistic and that tone infiltrated his preaching for a time, which he now regrets. However, the timeline looks to me like I missed the part of his preaching that he regrets and I still find him chauvanistic. In that first chapter he takes a jab at Catholic priests for being celibate and "wearing a dress" and talks about finding a church with men who hunted and were masculine. I can't get past stuff like that and am quite certain I wouldn't even be able to glean the truth that may well be in his book through the red haze that would be my anger....

This was my very mixed reaction as well. I was grateful for his acknowledgement, but then he seemed to turn right around and go right back to a similar attitude just directed at a different type of person.

The second part did remind quite a bit of Intended for Pleasure, which I thought was a great book.

I was a little struck by the amount of "revelations" he had from God. Not entirely sure what to make of that, and found it a bit confusing....alarming...not really sure :confused:. Which is weird because my background is really spiritual gifts friendly :D. But in regards to teaching, how does one disagree with a "revelation?" How does one defend it?

Hannah, that one brings up an interesting point. I struggled with what Mark Driscoll wrote at times, but his wife seemed to have a very balanced perspective on the problems they were having and why (except when she tells him it is okay to leave her, pregnant with their first child, after it is unearthed that she had a sexual encounter in highschool). Her "tone" or "voice" was somewhat different than his. Hmmmm....interesting. :D

Edited by simka2

Well, I must be living under a rock, because although I work in a large hotel and meet all sorts of world leaders and influential people, I never thought much of this guy. I stay away from books that have to tell me how revolutionary they are. Books like, "What God Wants" crack me up when they tell you how you never could have had these thoughts without a book and tell you how to respond to the book.

Thanks for the review, Susan.

IMO, sloppy exegesis = loss of credibility. That's all I need to know to avoid this book.

And, btw, how can one be BOTH complementarian AND softly patriarchal? I see those as mutually exclusive terms. I mean, aren't you one because you're NOT the other?

Good review. I've come to realize that whenever a new book is described as "bold" or "raw" or promises to create a "stir" or "buzz" or "send shockwaves", I can be fairly certain that timeless truths will be exchanged for--at least in part--titillation. Then, either in the process of or as a result of trying to fulfill those exciting advertised descriptions (for the reader or the author him/herself?), the crummy exegesis shows up.

My disdain of Marc Driscoll begins (but doesn't end) with this

. I've watched the whole thing, but I've linked the seven minute excerpt where Mark, (Pastor Mark) let's you know that "God hates you."

I know he's preaching fire and brimstone here, and it isn't new. But it might be sermons like this that make him the most quoted preacher in America.

Edited by Jana