Menu

MEP on the iPad2 - which app?

blondeviolin

Does anyone just do the student sheets directly on the iPad (with a stylus)? What app is best for something like this? I want her to be able to open to the page we left off on and write on the page with the stylus (possibly with different colors). Otherwise, I'm not too picky.

:bigear:

Just got an iPad and downloaded Notability. I'm hoping to use it for Mr Q's science worksheets - still trying to figure out exactly how to use it. Will Notability bookmark where you left off? That seems to be missing.

Mr. Q works well. No bookmark function is in place but according to another thread they hope to include it in future updates!

If you are having trouble with Dropbox try emailing the file to yourself. Then use the "open with" option to open it in Notability. This also works if you can access the pdf in the safari browser (like if it's KISS or something you can access online instead of it being on your computer already).

Also, to get around the no bookmarking thing for right now I keep the teacher copy of things in ibooks which does bookmark. That way where we left off is always bookmarked. I then only load a week at a time in notability for dd. That way there aren't too many pages to go thru to get to what she's working on.

On the ipad to extract the pages I want to use out of a pdf to get in to notability I use PDF expert. It was a paid app and there may be a free option but it allows me to open the pdf and delete the pages we don't want.

That's my question too. I loaded both Notability and Dropbox in my ipad and KISS workbook for 6th grade level 1 is currently in my Dropbox, but I can't seem to get it into Notability. It keeps saying it can't load the file. Not sure WHAT I am doing wrong here.

I don't think the KISS files are PDF, are they?

If memory serves they are Word files. I took mine into Word then saved them as PDFs (which on the Mac is under the "Print" option not the "Save" option).

I got KISS onto my iPad 1 this way.

Bill

If memory serves they are Word files. I took mine into Word then saved them as PDFs (which on the Mac is under the "Print" option not the "Save" option).

Bill

Exactly. You can save KISS doc as a pdf but I think it can only be done on your computer. You can open a KISS doc with PDF Expert but the latter program does not convert it for you nor does it allow you to handwrite with freedom like Notability. After I converted it, I copied the file to Dropbox and transferred to Notability.

I wonder if there is a way to convert from the iPad. I bet there is an app. Isn't there an app for everything?

We did Math Mammoth and MEP on the iPad with Notability today. Dd3 was begging for her own math to do, so I loaded MEP from Dropbox into Notability. Big hit! Dd5 was jealous, so we did it with Math Mammoth, too. :)

Math doesn't seem like math on the iPad, at least that's what DD is like. I've used it to my advantage.

We use PDF Expert for pdfs like Math Mammoth (don't have MEP), it bookmarks, DD recently decided she likes PDF Pro better (it's cheaper too - $2.99).

Do you have a reason for preferring these to Notability? I'm still trying to figure it all out and decide how to proceed.

We use PDF Expert for pdfs like Math Mammoth (don't have MEP), 99).

:iagree:

We use PDF Expert for MEP and it works great. Kids write with fingers or stylus, change colors and line sizes, and email me pages to put in their portfolio.

Math doesn't seem like math on the iPad, at least that's what DD is like. I've used it to my advantage.

:iagree: dd does extra math just to get more iPad time.

I have an app called PDF converter that I use to make pdf's. I also use PDF expert if I want to type on a PDF but found the writing to be more difficult than in notability. The zoom writing works well for dd and it's seems more intuitive to use.

Do you have a reason for preferring these to Notability? I'm still trying to figure it all out and decide how to proceed.

:bigear:

I'm wondering the same. What would be the differences between Notability and PDF Expert/PDF Pro? We are using MEP.

I'm using GoodReader. I"d be interested in seeing how Notability etc compare. I'm content iwth Goodreader, but not over the moon. It can be a little clumsy. But we only just started, so maybe it's just the operator lol!

I've found Notability MUCH better than GoodReader. The only thing missing is the bookmarking feature, but they are working on that for a future upgrade.

I found GoodReader way to clunky.

We use PDF Expert for pdfs like Math Mammoth (don't have MEP), it bookmarks, DD recently decided she likes PDF Pro better (it's cheaper too - $2.99).

Are you using a stylus to write in PDF Expert? I can type in notes and texts, highlight, underline, strike, and copy, but why am I not seeing an option to manually write?

neu.annotate app allows you to write in a space, but I still prefer Notability.

Are you using a stylus to write in PDF Expert? I can type in notes and texts, highlight, underline, strike, and copy, but why am I not seeing an option to manually write?

neu.annotate app allows you to write in a space, but I still prefer Notability.

On the menu bar at the top there are the different icons you can choose from (circles,lines, text, underlined text, etc). The one on the far right looks like a marker and a crayon (sort of :D). Select that one and another menu pops up so you can select line thickness and color, and also choose from "marker" or "colored pencil". Then just touch the screen. You don't need the stylus, you can just use your finger.

Bill

This is what I did also (Android tablet though, not iPad - I'm using ezPDF for any Android users reading the thread! And it has bookmarking :D).

On a Windows computer, just install "cutePDF". It will be another printer. Then in any program on your computer, you can choose print, then cutePDF as the printer, and it will pop up a dialog to give you the name of the file. Save it, and you're done. Very easy to use, and the program is free.

I had way too much fun annotating KISS documents the other day when I bought ezPDF. :lol: