Menu

Speech and ASL

DD(4) has started repeating back what she think is said in ASL. I think she doing this to make sure she understands. Well it has one of her therapist up in arms, who thinks I should should make her do this orally. DD personality is not one that you can force to do anything and I don't see an issue. This is going on in sessions that aren't requiring parroting, and her primary speech therapist thinks it great.

Our adoption agency has been called twice on parenting advise I would not take. OK maybe I have a sore spot on advise. DD came to us with a past and development delays, and care givers that didn't think anything was wrong with her hearing. Typical advice does not always apply and she is growing leaps and bound.

Less than 9 months ago this child had less than 10 words and now I past counting oral words. She does currently have a better grasp of asl than oral but I think that may change as her hearing age goes up. (She only been aided for 3 months) Annouciating is coming.

I'm thankful for this board of parent that give advise from personal experience and not what they were trained in school. Your advice and support are welcome.

Any advise on my newly eavedropping DD. :D

disclaimer-Not having a child with hearing or any qualifications other than I am taking ASL with my son and we have been thoroughly immersed in Deaf culture for the past 5 months...here are my thoughts:

1-I would choose a primary therapist who can make the call on this so that everyone on the therapy/ caregiving team can be consistent.

2-Honestly, I would tend to agree with you...this it is great that your daughter is playing with language. In many ways, what she is doing is really sophisticated because she is becoming bi-lingual. When she repeats in ASL she is using expressive language skills and then translating to English.

And as someone who is working really hard as an adult to learn ASL, I think it is fantastic your daughter is becoming bi-lingugual.

All my best. Keep up the good work with your daughter. It sounds like you are doing great work!