Menu

Core 6/G before 5/F?

Dmmetler

SL has been a great fit for my book-loving DD for the last couple of years (she did Core 1/2 last year and core 3/4 this year) and I'd like to continue with it. She's still really into Greece, Egypt and Rome, so I think she'd enjoy spending more time with the time period, but is still young enough to really enjoy reading the Spine together and talking about it, even though she's always read many of the read-alouds on her own.

Would it be reasonable to skip Core 5/F and go on to Core 6/G?

I haven't used core 6, but have used cores 1 to 5. I've seen a lot of people say that they found 6 easier than 5. I think the spine aspect probably makes a difference. I got core 5 used and didn't want to spend a whole year on that format (without the spine) so what I did was to split it up and include it along with our 4 year cycle. So when we got to the beginning of Islam in history I added in all the Middle East stuff from core 5 etc. We started core 5 when DS was 8 (almost finished it now) and he had no trouble with the level of it, but he was already working at logic stage at that time. I do think core 5 requires logic stage thinking as there is a lot of processing different beliefs etc which would overwhelm grammar stage kids.

Edited by kiwi mum

Ability-wise, I'm sure Core 6 wouldn't be much of a problem. I'd like to recommend something else, though: Have you ever looked at TOG?

We ran into problems with Cores 6 and 7. My oldest son thought it wasn't 'enough' harder than Core 4, and he did both cores in a year. He still supplemented heavily from the WTM list and with materials from Memoria Press and Ambleside Online. Sonlight just wasn't enough anymore. I don't intend to use it for my other PG child. He's already blowing through all the books in his spare time.

My two middle boys had read too many Core 6 and 7 books (we have a good library) to be excited about it. I'd used SOTW part of the time with younger cores, as well, so no novelty there. Also, after really enjoying Cores 1-4, it just felt like time to do more the second time through Ancient History. It felt like time for more geography, projects, and related writing.

I've found all that, plus more variety in book choices, with TOG year 1. We wallowed in Egypt and Greece until we'd really had enough, and are just getting ready for Rome.

For your advanced daughter, you have much more flexibility with TOG. You can look at the book recs across all the levels and pick and choose, because all four levels are in your teacher's guide. For example, if she's read the upper elementary book recommended in a certain week, look up to dialectic or rhetoric. Some of lower grammar books are so beautiful and interesting that she might love them, too.

Just something new to consider! :)

Ability-wise, I'm sure Core 6 wouldn't be much of a problem. I'd like to recommend something else, though: Have you ever looked at TOG?

We ran into problems with Cores 6 and 7. My oldest son thought it wasn't 'enough' harder than Core 4, and he did both cores in a year. He still supplemented heavily from the WTM list and with materials from Memoria Press and Ambleside Online. Sonlight just wasn't enough anymore. I don't intend to use it for my other PG child. He's already blowing through all the books in his spare time.

My two middle boys had read too many Core 6 and 7 books (we have a good library) to be excited about it. I'd used SOTW part of the time with younger cores, as well, so no novelty there. Also, after really enjoying Cores 1-4, it just felt like time to do more the second time through Ancient History. It felt like time for more geography, projects, and related writing.

I've found all that, plus more variety in book choices, with TOG year 1. We wallowed in Egypt and Greece until we'd really had enough, and are just getting ready for Rome.

For your advanced daughter, you have much more flexibility with TOG. You can look at the book recs across all the levels and pick and choose, because all four levels are in your teacher's guide. For example, if she's read the upper elementary book recommended in a certain week, look up to dialectic or rhetoric. Some of lower grammar books are so beautiful and interesting that she might love them, too.

Just something new to consider! :)

Agreeing with Tibby, particularly the bolded. That is why we did not continue with Sonlight past core 5. While we have not used TOG, We have done something similar with our own book choices and going deeper on his areas of interest. I have also tried to focus on writing (his weakness) to try to bring his output level closer to his input level.