Menu

How do you support a smoker who is trying to quit?

One of my long-time friends is trying to quit smoking. He has tried, struggled and failed to quit a number of times.

I am a former smoker, so I realize that even this time may not be the final, 'quit.'

Still, I wonder what words of encouragement you would choose to offer someone who is trying so hard.

http://whyquit.com/ Understanding the physiology of nicotine addiction helped me tremendously. 72 hours cold turkey and you are over the rough part. Cut straws in half to hold and "puff" on when the hands tell you you need a fix. I quit after smoking 22 years using this website and straws. No nicotine and the receptors die off in the brain. However, if you pick up nicotine again they come right back and you are hooked again. Best wishes to your friend. As a lawyer and home educator who has done a fine job at both, I am still more proud of quitting smoking, it is that hard to quit. It is not a habit it is a physical addiction from *ell.

I don't think there are really any words. It's just one of those things people aren't going to do until they make up their own mind for good and have had enough. Sometimes I think the more people say, the more it makes a person want to start back. Smokers get very defensive about their habit/addiction.

I quit 20 years ago after smoking for 6 years. Not a fun thing to do but so worth it.:001_huh:

I usually refer them to quitnet.com for support (info, very active and supportive forums, resources, gadgets, etc).

I tell them about how long I have quit and how it was the best decision I've made for myself.

I tell them that it wasn't easy but that it can be done, and that the cravings are very hard at first but if you can just stay busy and distracted, they do go away and eventually become fewer and fewer and if you can just get through them, they will eventually get easier to deal with and less frequent and it's so worth it.

Speaking of quitnet, I just signed on for the first time in a long time to take a peek at my personal stats, and here's what it says as of today for me!

My Stats:

Your Quit Date is: 1/18/2005 11:59:00 PM

trans.gif Time Smoke-Free: 2539 days, 20 hours, 28 minutes and 37 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 88895 trans.gifLifetime Saved: 22 months, 19 days, 1 hour trans.gifMoney Saved: $13,335.00

It'll be 7 years for me this month. :)

There are several things I did when I quit a long time ago.

Change your schedule. For example, if you get up read the paper, have a cig and coffee, instead, get up and take a shower and go grab coffee and finish getting ready in the bathroom. All schedules. Change them.

Second, cut oodles of food for finger food. I'm not a guy, so food would be different. I had cut up huge trays of raw veggies. Cutting them up gave me something for the hand habit, you know, habit #2.

I cleaned everything! My walls, my carpet, my rugs, my upholstry. Another words, I had on paper all my plans on what to do to stay busy. If it wasn't on paper, my mind was mush and I didn't do anything.

I agree w/the 72 hours!

Sometimes you just need to hole up and not talk to anyone. I had to go cold turkey, but my dh was okay with having a drag then tossing it when the going got rough. I couldn't do that. He should do what's best.

So....leave him alone, change his schedule; this includes, eating or drinking habits, take him somewhere that is new where he wouldn't want a cigarrette. Stop talking about it.

My dh was unbearable! He said I wasn't that bad:D. Don't take anything personally.

It's something they have to do. Sometimes you may be better off doing nothing, then to keep bringing it up.

HTH.

Electronic cigarettes.

You still get nicotine (like the patch), but none of the carbon monoxide, tar, or thousands of chemicals that the tobacco company puts into cigarettes.

I have had several customers who successfully quit smoking by using an ecig. You can start out at a higher strength of nicotine and ween yourself down to zero nicotine.

I've had two customers with COPD whose doctors have taken them off inhalers as a result of ecigarette use. I've had asthmatics report that they are able to walk up a flight of stairs without reaching for their inhalers anymore. I've got several police officers, paramedics, nurses, and yes, doctors who are using ecigs too.

My personal story: I was 2-packs a day. I was to the point of having Robitussin on my nightstand because I would wake up in the middle of the night coughing so badly. After two weeks on the ecig, I no longer woke up coughing in the middle of the night. I can taste again. I can smell again. I haven't smoked since October 2010, and better yet - I have no desire to smoke analog cigarettes ever again.

If you would like more info on ecigs, PM me. :)

Electronic cigarettes.

You still get nicotine (like the patch), but none of the carbon monoxide, tar, or thousands of chemicals that the tobacco company puts into cigarettes.

I have had several customers who successfully quit smoking by using an ecig. You can start out at a higher strength of nicotine and ween yourself down to zero nicotine.

I've had two customers with COPD whose doctors have taken them off inhalers as a result of ecigarette use. I've had asthmatics report that they are able to walk up a flight of stairs without reaching for their inhalers anymore. I've got several police officers, paramedics, nurses, and yes, doctors who are using ecigs too.

My personal story: I was 2-packs a day. I was to the point of having Robitussin on my nightstand because I would wake up in the middle of the night coughing so badly. After two weeks on the ecig, I no longer woke up coughing in the middle of the night. I can taste again. I can smell again. I haven't smoked since October 2010, and better yet - I have no desire to smoke analog cigarettes ever again.

If you would like more info on ecigs, PM me. :)

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/PublicHealthFocus/ucm173146.htm

The OP asked how to support a friend who was trying to quit. Trying to sell her an object that permits the nicotine use and addiction to continue is not responsive. Soliciting business for an addictive and destructive product on a home education board wherein the OP is seeking help for her friend to QUIT using nicotine is not helpful.

Edited by elizabeth

The OP asked how to support a friend who was trying to quit. Trying to sell her an object that permits the nicotine use and addiction to continue is not responsive. Soliciting business for an addictive and destructive product on a home education board wherein the OP is seeking help for her friend to QUIT using nicotine is not helpful.

Dr Oz promotes those too, I've seen several friends use those successfully yo quit.

For me, (those weren't available at the time) cold turkey was the only way to go. Encouragement is really helpful to someone quitting.

I wasn't trying to sell her anything. I was trying to give her accurate information on other options that can help people quit smoking. Linking to the FDA is useless. Those are the people that approved Chantix - you know, the drug that can cause murder/suicidal thoughts and actions?

http://chantixlawsuit-info.com/2011/06/chantix-murder-vermont-kenneth-heath/

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Suit-Blames-Chantix-Drug-for-Murder-Suicide-121566444.html

Ecigarettes do work. http://www.casaa.org has a wealth of information regarding the use of ecigs.

Sometimes the best way to help a smoker quit is to understand the addiction and offer alternative (more successful, less expensive) options.

Well, to be fair, while I quit "cold turkey," my husband quit using nicorette gum. I think my mother used the nicotine patch. The e-cig wasn't around back then but I don't see why it's not just as viable for those who don't want to or can't quit "cold turkey," and a lot of people can't. I've read a lot of people have more success if they do use some sort of aid like that. An adult who is looking to quit smoking should know what their options are and should choose the one they think will give them the best chance of success. I thought mine was to stay away from it entirely. My husband thought there was no way he could do that. We don't know the OP's friend, but I don't think we should jump down anyone else's throat for making valid, legal, alternative suggestions!

I quit back in 2002 when I found out I was pregnant. I had smoked 1.5 packs a day for 14 years. Haven't smoked since.

I had tried to quit previously, and truly, the more people tried to "help" me, the more annoyed I would get and the more I would want to smoke.

I wouldn't do anything unless the person specifically asked for help. If they mention it, sincerely congratulate them, but I personally I wouldn't do much else. It's just like changing someone's eating habits. They will do it when they are personally good and ready, and not before. No amount of talking by anyone else will matter.

For support, just be there without comment. Listen without comment. That is what I would want. :001_smile:

I don't think there's anything anyone could have said to me that would have seemed supportive. Everyone who smokes knows they should quit, so telling them even in the most gentle way, that it would be better, comes across as judgemental. I'm not saying it is, but that as a smoker you get defensive, and it feels that way. I would wait for her to bring it up - asking how you did it, how you got past the hardest part, etc. Be there if she needs to talk to you about it but let her take the first steps.

For me, it was a stay in the hospital in 2004. While my reason for being there had nothing to do with smoking, it scared me into wanting to be healthier. Since I was there for 2 days, I had a head start on quitting. When I came home I crushed all my remaining cigarettes (if even one was usable, I know I would have smoked it) over the trash can. It was hard, but I'm so glad I finally quit.

:confused: I don't see anything wrong with someone offering this advice. They're not new to the board and was just trying to give their experience and what has helped others. There are patches, gum, prescriptions etc... available so what's the difference? When I quit 20 years ago, there was nothing to help but Nicorette gum, which was completely disgusting. I had no choice but to go cold turkey and it was brutal.

Thank you, everyone. It is always interesting to hear different perspectives.

I have decided to send him the Alan Carr book with a note that we love him, and via email I will share the WhyQuit and QuitNet websites.

I'll leave the methodology to him and just do my best to 'be here' for him.

Thank you!!

Dr Oz promotes those too, I've seen several friends use those successfully yo quit.

For me, (those weren't available at the time) cold turkey was the only way to go. Encouragement is really helpful to someone quitting.

http://www.oprah.com/health/Dr-Oz-Reviews-Electronic-Cigarettes

Dr Oz does NOT promote these. If any one who is critical of my statement had read the link in my original response they would know that continuing to use nicotine in any form is basically slow torture. You still crave the nicotine and the delivery system of cigarettes for months rather than a week. It seems that it is not clear that the person who is promoting these on the board is selling the **** things. This is not hard, if people make money from selling something they have an incentive to gloss over the negatives.

http://www.oprah.com/health/Dr-Oz-Reviews-Electronic-Cigarettes

Dr Oz does NOT promote these. If any one who is critical of my statement had read the link in my original response they would know that continuing to use nicotine in any form is basically slow torture. You still crave the nicotine and the delivery system of cigarettes for months rather than a week. It seems that it is not clear that the person who is promoting these on the board is selling the **** things. This is not hard, if people make money from selling something they have an incentive to gloss over the negatives.

How strange, I've seen a bunch of ads saying he did. My bad.

I think everyone has to quit in their own way. Cold turkey was the only way for me. I personally can't imagine it being any worse than any of the other nicotine step down systems. Don't care to argue about it, just my .02 as an ex smoker.

I wasn't trying to sell her anything. I was trying to give her accurate information on other options that can help people quit smoking. Linking to the FDA is useless. Those are the people that approved Chantix - you know, the drug that can cause murder/suicidal thoughts and actions?

http://chantixlawsuit-info.com/2011/06/chantix-murder-vermont-kenneth-heath/

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Suit-Blames-Chantix-Drug-for-Murder-Suicide-121566444.html

Ecigarettes do work. http://www.casaa.org has a wealth of information regarding the use of ecigs.

Sometimes the best way to help a smoker quit is to understand the addiction and offer alternative (more successful, less expensive) options.

**Warning! Nicotine is an addictive substance. This product has not been approved by the U.S. FDA as a smoking cessation product. This product is simply an alternative to tobacco smoking and should only be used by long-term smokers. This product is not a smoking cessation device. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent, cure, or mitigate any disease or medical condition or offer any therapeutic benefit. Do not use this product if you are under the legal age of smoking or if you are sensitive to nicotine or inhalants. Do not use this product if you have or if you are at risk of having any respiratory conditions, heart disease, high blood pressure or diabetes. Consult your doctor before use if you have any medical conditions. Do not use if you are pregnant or nursing. Discontinue use of this product immediately if you experience symptoms such as nausea, dizziness, a weak or rapid heartbeat, vomiting, diarrhea, or any negative physical symptom. Keep product away from children and pets.

This is from your website. From your family-owned business. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor. However, I do not think that your response is exactly straightforward, given the words from your very own website that say the opposite.

http://www.vapininthecape.com/Why-Vape_ep_41.html

Nicotine IS an addictive substance. So is caffeine. I don't see anyone railing about the evils of coffee and tea on this board.

We can't MARKET ecigs as smoking cessation devices because they haven't been deemed as such by the FDA...YET. However, it's funny that smoking cessation is exactly what happens when one starts using an ecig.

There are several lobby groups working against ecigs, regardless of what impact they have on a person's health: Big Tobacco (though they are currently marketing their own brand of ecigs), Big Government (losing tobacco money on all levels - local, state, and federal - when smokers quit buying cigarettes), and Big Pharmacy (who's going to buy Chantix or Nicorette when ecigs are cheaper and more effective).

Nicotine (that big, bad substance) is also found in tomatoes, potatoes, bella donna, red peppers, and every other 'nightshade' plant. Yet, most eat those without a second thought.

And FTR, I wasn't selling the OP a **** thing. I offered to give her more information on ecigarettes as an alternative to smoking because IT WORKS. But thanks for linking to my website. I appreciate any business you may drive my way.

Here's another one: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ That site has doctors, lawyers, and regular users of ecigs. Please, by all means, research ecigs. I encourage it.

Nicotine IS an addictive substance. So is caffeine. I don't see anyone railing about the evils of coffee and tea on this board.

We can't MARKET ecigs as smoking cessation devices because they haven't been deemed as such by the FDA...YET. However, it's funny that smoking cessation is exactly what happens when one starts using an ecig.

There are several lobby groups working against ecigs, regardless of what impact they have on a person's health: Big Tobacco (though they are currently marketing their own brand of ecigs), Big Government (losing tobacco money on all levels - local, state, and federal - when smokers quit buying cigarettes), and Big Pharmacy (who's going to buy Chantix or Nicorette when ecigs are cheaper and more effective).

Nicotine (that big, bad substance) is also found in tomatoes, potatoes, bella donna, red peppers, and every other 'nightshade' plant. Yet, most eat those without a second thought.

And FTR, I wasn't selling the OP a **** thing. I offered to give her more information on ecigarettes as an alternative to smoking because IT WORKS. But thanks for linking to my website. I appreciate any business you may drive my way.

Here's another one: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ That site has doctors, lawyers, and regular users of ecigs. Please, by all means, research ecigs. I encourage it.

Okay. I said my piece and you said yours. Let's hope the caucuses tonight have as many people that are outspoken and ready to defend their positions because that is what makes our contry great.

If any one who is critical of my statement had read the link in my original response they would know that continuing to use nicotine in any form is basically slow torture. You still crave the nicotine and the delivery system of cigarettes for months rather than a week. It seems that it is not clear that the person who is promoting these on the board is selling the **** things. This is not hard, if people make money from selling something they have an incentive to gloss over the negatives.

On quitnet.com, some excerpts under "Methods of Quitting" say:

"A panel of physicians and researchers appointed by the Surgeon General of the United States reviewed more than 6000 studies of quitting and issued a set of guidelines in June 2000.[22] They made some powerful conclusions and recommendations. They said "Use medicine:"

Research has shown that Zyban™ and nicotine replacement therapy helped people succeed more than trying without medication. Nicotine replacement therapy comes in a number of forms: gum, a skin patch, inhaler or nasal spray."

"Nicotine Replacement Therapy

Nicotine replacement therapy is an effective way to “wean” yourself off nicotine. Although not the “magic pill” that it was thought to be when first introduced, nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) has been shown to be very effective and is now recommended for all smokers attempting to quit (when medically appropriate). On average, all nicotine replacement products are equally effective, roughly doubling the chances of quitting successfully.

The basic idea is to give you time to break the cigarette habit before attempting to actually get off nicotine. NRT minimizes withdrawal symptoms and helps control cigarette cravings to allow you to concentrate on using behavioral techniques to stay smoke-free. There are 4 different types of nicotine replacement therapies: the nicotine patch and nicotine gum are available over the counter without a prescription, while the nicotine spray and nicotine inhaler require a prescription from your physician.

What NRT does not do:

· It doesn't work equally well for everyone.

· It doesn't eliminate withdrawal symptoms entirely.

· It doesn't give you any more willpower.

What NRT does do:

· It does let you concentrate on your habit before breaking the physical addiction to nicotine."

(I believe at the time this was written, the e-cig was not yet on the market, but I would assume it would be along the same lines as the gum, patch, spray, and inhaler. Anyone interested would have to research it for themselves and decide if it was something they were interested in. Like anything else, it's merely an option).

"Other Approaches:

Cold Turkey

Some people swear by this approach. It’s a no-nonsense, low-cost approach… the “Just Do It” method for quitting smoking. About 85% of smokers who try to quit do it “cold turkey”; however, this strategy has been shown to be far less effective than active approaches like nicotine replacement therapy and behavioral counseling. The problem is that, for most people who quit cold turkey, nothing changes except the smoking. Daily routines are still the same, methods of coping with stress and frustration are still the same, and the body’s dependence on nicotine is still the same. With all these powerful triggers to deal with throughout the day, it’s no surprise why many people relapse within just 3 days after trying to quit cold turkey."

Again, Elizabeth, research shows that using these nicotine replacements DOES help people have success quitting smoking. Yes, it makes the process last longer, but so what if that is what makes it effective for them in the long run? That's what made my husband (will have seven years quit in May) and my mother (will have two years quit next week) and millions of other people able to quit smoking. We're not talking about illegal substances. So I still really don't get why you have such a problem with someone making the suggestion? :confused:

Edited by NanceXToo

On quitnet.com, some excerpts under "Methods of Quitting" say:

"A panel of physicians and researchers appointed by the Surgeon General of the United States reviewed more than 6000 studies of quitting and issued a set of guidelines in June 2000.[22] They made some powerful conclusions and recommendations. They said "Use medicine:"

Research has shown that Zyban™ and nicotine replacement therapy helped people succeed more than trying without medication. Nicotine replacement therapy comes in a number of forms: gum, a skin patch, inhaler or nasal spray."

"Nicotine Replacement Therapy

Nicotine replacement therapy is an effective way to “wean” yourself off nicotine. Although not the “magic pill” that it was thought to be when first introduced, nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) has been shown to be very effective and is now recommended for all smokers attempting to quit (when medically appropriate). On average, all nicotine replacement products are equally effective, roughly doubling the chances of quitting successfully.

The basic idea is to give you time to break the cigarette habit before attempting to actually get off nicotine. NRT minimizes withdrawal symptoms and helps control cigarette cravings to allow you to concentrate on using behavioral techniques to stay smoke-free. There are 4 different types of nicotine replacement therapies: the nicotine patch and nicotine gum are available over the counter without a prescription, while the nicotine spray and nicotine inhaler require a prescription from your physician.

What NRT does not do:

· It doesn't work equally well for everyone.

· It doesn't eliminate withdrawal symptoms entirely.

· It doesn't give you any more willpower.

What NRT does do:

· It does let you concentrate on your habit before breaking the physical addiction to nicotine."

(I believe at the time this was written, the e-cig was not yet on the market, but I would assume it would be along the same lines as the gum, patch, spray, and inhaler. Anyone interested would have to research it for themselves and decide if it was something they were interested in. Like anything else, it's merely an option).

"Other Approaches:

Cold Turkey

Some people swear by this approach. It’s a no-nonsense, low-cost approach… the “Just Do It” method for quitting smoking. About 85% of smokers who try to quit do it “cold turkey”; however, this strategy has been shown to be far less effective than active approaches like nicotine replacement therapy and behavioral counseling. The problem is that, for most people who quit cold turkey, nothing changes except the smoking. Daily routines are still the same, methods of coping with stress and frustration are still the same, and the body’s dependence on nicotine is still the same. With all these powerful triggers to deal with throughout the day, it’s no surprise why many people relapse within just 3 days after trying to quit cold turkey."

Again, Elizabeth, research shows that using these nicotine replacements DOES help people have success quitting smoking. Yes, it makes the process last longer, but so what if that is what makes it effective for them in the long run? That's what made my husband (will have seven years quit in May) and my mother (will have two years quit next week) and millions of other people able to quit smoking. We're not talking about illegal substances. So I still really don't get why you have such a problem with someone making the suggestion? :confused:

http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_03_02_cold_turkey.html

It doesn't matter how people quit, so long as they quit. Having said that, it seems ludicrous to make the process longer and more painful by not addressing the physiological mechanism by which people become addicted. To continue to activate those neurological pathways is literally putting money in the hands of those who would rather see people still using nicotine in one form or another.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10542436

Edited by elizabeth