Menu

Grateful for...(silly things preferably)

My husband is suffering some depression this holiday season. This usually puts him in a very somber mood feeling almost overly grateful for his wife, his life, etc. I am not trying to make light of his issue or any of you who suffer this way but right now I am needing a break from the glum. I am asking for things you are grateful for that probably seem frivolous but actually put a grin on your face.

I'll start:

I am grateful for the array of "smiles" on the right hand side of this screen that can so often accurately describe my feelings better than I can put into words :D.

The color of my dd's eyes. It's kind of an amber brown, and I don't know but especially with the rest of her coloring (pale skin, hair on the edge between light ash brown and blonde) I just find them really striking. And she's such a little wisp of a thing, and her eyes are so large and expressive, really it just takes my breath away sometimes.

And ds has a little dimple when he smiles just so that does the same thing.

Purple and pink hearing aids and glittery ear molds (mine are purple, the girls both have pink). It makes it much more fun than just having boring beige!

Another thanks is nail art stickers - they are just the right size to bling up hearing aids! :D

And smartphones! Love being able to check in on WTM on my phone.

I am grateful for my Labradoodle puppy who will be one year old tomorrow. She's so gentle, funny, adoring and, sometimes, naughty (yesterday, she ate a quarter of a Christmas cake that had been left out on the kitchen table). She is a wonderful friend for my boys, she walks my 10 year old ;), wrestles with the 4 year old, cuddles the 7 year old, and patiently allows the 12 year old to 'train' her. I love cuddling her, grooming her, and just having her near me while I work in the kitchen. She even joins in school regularly, my most enthusiastic pupil.

Best wishes and a very Happy New Year, to you, your DH and your family (depression stinks).

Cassy

Cakeballs....yummm

my cats (sick kitty is on the mend...thank-you ladies for your advice)

pajamas....and days that I can wear them ALL day

giggles

my scented candles (that are probably putting off toxins which will someday

give me cancer)

good books

Vit. D (seriously...it has changed my life!)

Now if I just had a house and laundry that were Self-Cleaning, life would be perfect;)

Vegan chocolate cupcakes with vegan frosting (homemade, I might add)

My fluffy cat, Tigger who just turned 9 a few weeks ago. Him and his crazy antics :D

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series

Terry Goodkind's new Richard and Kahlan series

Peppermint tea with aforementioned vegan cupcakes

Raspberry Sorbet

I am thankful that a pair of LL Bean Wicked Good Scuffs are on their way to me right now because my toes are flipping COLD.

And yes, I am in Texas and it's only 52 degrees :lol:

:lol: This is me in anything below 75 degrees - I live in Western Washington so it rarely goes above 75.

Thanks for playing y'all!

I am grateful for peanut butter - my comfort food.

(1) My daughter's fashion advice that prevents me from looking too matronly and bag ladyish. I am dangerous anywhere beyond matching solids in black and white.

(2) My new $30 stapler :

Swingline Optima 70 Reduced Effort Desktop Stapler, 70-Sheet Capacity, Jam Free, Silver, Retail Packaging

Prior to the Swingline Optima 70, I had a pricy $200+ Swingline Electric 70 page that jammed incessantly only after a few months of use. We tried several things to fix it including WD40 on the release mechanism. What worked best was a hard whack with hand to back of stapler to force release of staple.

I was delighted to see availability of a manual 70 page stapler that required little effort to use. All that and flat cinch staples too!

1) Onions and lemons. How much feebler my enjoyment of life would be without onions and lemons.

2) Being divorced. (I never thought I'd write that.) This weekend, at work, I spoke to my ex for the first time in 7 years. It was work related. We chatted briefly about the patient being transferred, and all felt professional and normal. I was perfectly calm, as if I was speaking to a complete stranger.

Then he said, "I met your son." I was surprised by the sweet tone of voice. I took a breath and replied that we were very lucky, that we had a happy, healthy child. And I thought he might, just might, enter into a conversation. He said, "Well, okay, bye" and hung up before I could say goodbye.

It is Lucy, Charlie Brown and the football all over again. He comes across with that very lovely tone of his, and then slams the door. Any luck at all, I'll never have to do that again, because unless I am completely rude from the get go, I always get the football taken away and end up lying on my back.

3) What my son says when he's half asleep. This morning, still asleep, he announced he was going to do some teaching in the breakfast kitchen. (He means Papa can't cook eggs to save his life.)

Ah, yes. Add indoor plumbing with private toilet and shower facilities. .

Oooh, yeah! Dh spent last week re-grouting the (only) bath in the house. I think I enjoyed the shower I took Saturday evening more than I have enjoyed any shower in my life!

I am also thankful for after-Christmas chocolate sales! (nom, nom, nom....):D

Oooh! So many good ones! Toilets, and toilet paper and salted butter, oh my!

We recently got a new chair in our living room(we've always had used stuff before), and I absolutely LOVE sitting in it and reading a book and drinking my morning coffee. It feels like I am doing something so luxurious and naughty somehow, and I love it!

I'm thankful to Mark Twain for leaving us so many fun, juicy quotes.

With so many making 'healthy' resolutions as we start the new year, I always like to keep Twain's words in mind....

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint."

:D

I'm thankful to Mark Twain for leaving us so many fun, juicy quotes.

:D

Oh yes. How about this little ditty:

"Yesterday Mr. Hall wrote that the printer's proof-reader was improving my punctuation for me, & I telegraphed orders to have him shot without giving him time to pray."

Onions and lemons. How much feebler my enjoyment of life would be without onions and lemons.

Is it weird that I was going to say onions and lemons (and garlic, in my case) too? I am solidly of the opinion that caramelized onions will make almost anything better.

And my Keurig. I resisted it. Didn't want one, wouldn't use it, didn't need it. Six months later, I love it like a family member. It was out of commission for a few hours yesterday while I cleaned it and we all wandered around in a state of semi-shock. We had to remind ourselves how to use the French press. Pathetic.

Oranges. Best enjoyed when one slowly, methodically peels it by hand and eats it one section at a time while daydreaming. There's something so basic about eating an orange this way, and what's more cheery than that little spray of orange oil that comes from the peel?

Washers and dryers. Seriously?! All I have to do is dump in the clothes, add soap, turn a dial, and WALK AWAY while it does all the work? Then I return when I am good and ready and spend all of half a minute moving the clothes from the washer to the dryer, push a button, and walk away AGAIN?? And the choice to fold or not fold is all mine. We've all bemoaned the mountains of laundry, and it's not like I've ever had to carry my clothes to the river to beat them with a rock, but I am still blown away that a couple of machines inside my house do all this work for me whenever I decide it's to happen.