Menu

head:wall Or , these children will land me at the asylum

Seriously. First day back after 2 weeks off. The boys were given two pages of ETC ans a math review sheet at 8:30 (before that, actually. I'm being generous) at the Y. Each came to me while I was working out, to clarify which pages to do.

Halfway through my workout, I go to get my gloves an discover the 10 year old has chosen to sit at the front desk and gab instead of at the table where I set her up to do the VIE pages she just plain skipped or did half of in the past weeks (yup, our bad. We had other things going on and weren't following up. Got it.). Redirect.

Done, I find the 10 yo watching tv in the childwatch area. The boys are playing Wii. Nobody has done ANY of his/her work. But wait, it gets better.

We have been home since 10. One of them, as of right now (2:40) has still not fnished. Nor has he eaten the lunch I made at noon, a full 2 hours after he sat down.

:banghead:

I feel your pain. My kids are having a hard time getting back in school mode, too. As far as that goes, so am I. My 14 yo has been working on math since lunchtime and still isn't finished. I think once after school activities get back into swing, they will get motivated.

Going to make another cup of coffee . . .

:grouphug: If it makes you feel any better, we're doing our first day back and it's not going well. I'm trying to teach my son to be more independent this semester and giving him work to do without me sitting there. It's almost 3 pm and he's still not done. He's also pouting and crying because he "doesn't like" that subject. Oh well.:glare:

Ugh. Our first day back will be tomorrow. I'm dreading it. And to make matters worse, the children and I have dentist appointments smack in the middle of the day. What was I thinking six months ago when I made that appointment???

Well, cheer up. Tomorrow you will be over the hump of the first day, and I will be the one suffering and posting about it instead. ; )

Sounds like my day thus far. THe only one done school is my 4 yr old and she did 2 days worth. My big kids have been playing the kinect all day, and everytime I remind them to come to the table I hear "after this challenge so we can save" and then the next and the next. The only reason I have let it slide today is because they have only been home for a couple days and got it for xmas but didn't get to use it all last week due to being at their dads and giving how sweaty both are I can claim it is phys ed right? As soon as I am done these lunch dishes my 8 yr old will be doing his school work. Hopefully sometime before 10 pm the bigs will have done their's. My new daycare kid doesn't start until monday now so at least I have a week to get them back onto routine. It was a light week planned because of being the first back and because I want to paint the boys room, and thought I would have a child here everyday. I am so glad I scheduled it light.

I'm laughing out loud right now. Glad to know I won't be alone in my perpetual jammies and slippers attire. We can all sit around and talk classical education, religion, politics, crockpot recipes and kilts while the nice staff brings our anti-eyetwitch medication. :D

:grouphug:

I find my son dislikes my pointer finger between his shoulder blades, pushing him to the table. It is my method of last resort, for I feel like such a witch doing so.

I keep threatening (just to my husband, not the kids) to don a full-on habit, grab a ruler and stand behind them menacingly. Would that be wrong?

Here's the kicker: they finally FINALLY!!! finished, knocked out 2 pages of VIE in 10 minutes (with good handwriting, even) and then came in and asked - with great enthusiasm, as if asking for a puppy or chocolate - if we could do spelling. :blink:

Are they intentionally gaslighting me to get my stuff?

Everyday is like that here. I am getting really worn down and want to give up on homeschooling. I never thought I would say that but I didn't picture my days being like this at all.

I've gone through those periods. I realized today that, while my days would be relatively quiet if they were at school, I'd still be piling on the stuff I think is important that the schools don't. At the end of the day. When they're tired and hungry and have been immersed in all sorts of anti-social behavior.

And that would just be a pain in my arse.

I'm laughing out loud right now. Glad to know I won't be alone in my perpetual jammies and slippers attire. We can all sit around and talk classical education, religion, politics, crockpot recipes and kilts while the nice staff brings our anti-eyetwitch medication. :D

Ah, insanity has never sounded so appealing - don't tempt me.

We don't start back until next Monday. I'm slowly psyching myself up. Trying to remember how much I love homeschooling (I do, I do, honest I do). All I can come up with so far is the thought of snuggling on the sofa while DS7 and DS4 read to me, with DS10 upstairs in bed reading. I think I need to work a bit harder ...

Best wishes and a Happy New Year MyCrazyHouse, I always love your posts

Cassy

I keep threatening (just to my husband, not the kids) to don a full-on habit, grab a ruler and stand behind them menacingly. Would that be wrong?

Well, I have said things I never thought I'd say, e.g. "For the last time, stop singing while I'm working math problems with you. If I'm killed in a car crash tomorrow you will have to go to PUBLIC SCHOOL, and I will die of shame all over again if you can't sit in a chair five minutes without singing, scratching, farting and dropping your pencil the whole time."

Well, I have said things I never thought I'd say, e.g. "For the last time, stop singing while I'm working math problems with you. If I'm killed in a car crash tomorrow you will have to go to PUBLIC SCHOOL, and I will die of shame all over again if you can't sit in a chair five minutes without singing, scratching, farting and dropping your pencil the whole time."

:lol:

Does it work? :001_huh:

Does it work? :001_huh:

Yes, it seems to. When he is being particularly trying, I will lay my head down and moan, or fall on the floor and beg to be shot. Sometimes he just needs to know I'm tired of all the twitching and he has got to get on with it. One day, after a bad session of math, I asked him who suffered more, him or me. He laughed and pointed at me.

So, this morning, when I said I'd die of shame, it actually worked.

(Hint, don't overuse.)

We haven't started yet, but we took two weeks off at Thanksgiving to take care of some family things...huge mistake! The Monday after, DD12 asks me where her checklist is.

We have a special folder that has all her papers in it that she will use that day. We have used this EVERY DAY since the start of school. Her checklist is ALWAYS in her folder. The folder is sitting on the table right in front of her.

"Is is not in your folder?" I ask, thinking maybe I forgot to put it in there somehow.

"Oh. I didn't look in the folder." :willy_nilly:

Yep, really regretting these two-week vacations....

Well, this is one of those long-term things but .... rest assured your children will one day have children just like the ones they were.

Ask me how I know, and why my parents are laughing.

Signed,

Convert to the Church of Murphy's Law

This is so true! and I didn't find out until recently when child #7 turned 13. :glare: