Menu

Test Anxiety

I think my ds has test anxiety or something that makes him completely blank out when he knows what he is doing is a test.

I first noticed it when homeschooling him. I didn't really give him tests except the tests that came with Saxon math. I always told him they were just so I would understand what he knew and what he needed more practice with but every time I gave him one, he would completely blank out and have difficulty doing things I knew he knew how to do. The very next day, I could give him similar problems from the practice section of his daily chapter to those done on the test and he'd do them without a problem.

Fast forward to him in school...he does all his homework and has A's on everything...even quizzes but when it comes time for a big test in any subject he scores poorly even though I have helped him study or quizzed him at home on the content and know he knows it. At the end of the school year they give them the MAP test and he scored worse after a year in school than he had at the beginning of the school year when they tested to place him....this child ended the school year with A's in every subject.

I don't know if it is an attention issue with him or a test anxiety issue and am wondering if I should have the child study team at the school look at him...though I have no idea what they might be able to do to help him.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I had similar problems when I was at school. A number of things helped me:

1 A kind of systematic desensitisation - ie, do lots of practice, but start very simply, setting tests that are well within his capability, gradually building up to full blown tests; maybe don't set a time limit initially, then quite generous time limits until he's doing them in the times he'd be expected to in the actual test.

2 I've said do lots of practice, but I'll say it again, practice makes perfect.

3 Learning to meditate - wonderful in helping to cope with the physiological effects of 'test anxiety' and helping to calm the mind so that it can work to its full capability.

Hopefully, others will have more suggestions. If I have any other thoughts I'll get back to you. 'Test anxiety', and that 'blanking out', are quite devastating to have to deal with, and very detrimental to a child's self-esteem. He's very lucky having a mom who's taking it so seriously, and hopefully will help him overcome his problems.

Best wishes

Cassy

One of my ds's had strong test anxiety and I took him to a cognitive behavioral therapist for a few sessions. This is exactly what was recommended, except instead of the meditation, he taught him relaxation exercises.

My ds's anxiety was the worst with math. This didn't really become an issue until high school when standardized tests began to have potentially large consequences. An example is that that ds and another ds both took the same outside course in environmental science and got very similar grades (like 98% or something). Ds-with-test-anxiety got a 3 on the AP test (a decent score); ds without test anxiety got a 5 (the highest score.) Ds with test-taking anxiety had studied. Ds without test anxiety had not. That's how much difference the anxiety made and why we got him help. The help did help quite a bit.

Thank you Cassie. I will see what I can do to help implement your suggestions. Did you get over your test anxiety or is it something you had to deal with throughout school?

I suffered from test anxiety from about the age of 15 yo until I went to university. I got help before doing my finals. I wish someone had realised earlier that I needed help. It sounds like Laurie's son benefited enormously from a similar approach, which is encouraging.

Best wishes

Cassy

• 5 weeks later...
Guest KristinWard

Test Anxiety seems to be a rather common problem. I suffered from it when I was in middle school and high school. Like all fears the only way to beat it is to keep facing it.

Start giving easy tests on a regular bases. Throw in silly questions and make sure that you give him plenty of time. I found that sucking a peppermint helped me. Music can also help. You going to want to try to make taking a test as relaxing as possible. :chillpill:

Boost his confidence before hand. Remind him on well he did on prior assignments. When he gets that hang of that move the bar up a little until he reaches the point he can take test regularly.