Menu

Today is the day!

All four kids started school today. I am a little bluesy, but they are sooooo happy! Their bus will be picking them up at 6:30 in the morning. :scared: I am pretty sure they start the elementary school before the middle and highschool here.

On a funny note, we have a horribly long last name involving lots of K's and Y's and N's. Think hard gutteral noises. Well the community we live in is filled with many families of eastern European decent, so my kids are in good company for strange last names. :D

It was a good day for them and is so far tracking at about the level I thought it would.

Dd10 is pretty far ahead, the twins are on par with a few challenges, ds6 is a mix (ahead in phonics, behind in whole words; ahead in math facts, behind in some concepts.)

The twins have been doing homework for a little over an hour and are quite disturbed at how fast their sister was able to accomplish her work. :tongue_smilie: (she decided to get most of it done in class and on the bus ride home)

It is somewhat nice to simply enforce someone else's demands and have the kids realize they are accountable to their teachers as well as us. :D

I am glad it went well. I hope the homework gets faster.

One twin ended up with way more homework than the other. It didn't help that the one with more homework is the one who is dyslexic. Ugh. Even with us doing it with him it was about 3 hours (with a couple distractions).

He had 2 pages of word scrambles and fill in the blank based on about 10 pages of his health book. Then he had 2 pages of math and his nightly reading. The math and reading wasn't that bad, but the health worksheets for very difficult for him.

I am hoping tonight is better for him. The other twin was not assigned the health worksheets yesterday. This is going to take them some getting used to. ;)

One twin ended up with way more homework than the other. It didn't help that the one with more homework is the one who is dyslexic. Ugh. Even with us doing it with him it was about 3 hours (with a couple distractions).

He had 2 pages of word scrambles and fill in the blank based on about 10 pages of his health book. Then he had 2 pages of math and his nightly reading. The math and reading wasn't that bad, but the health worksheets for very difficult for him.

I am hoping tonight is better for him. The other twin was not assigned the health worksheets yesterday. This is going to take them some getting used to. ;)

If it stays 3 hours, I would definitely say something to the teacher. The rule for our county is no more than 10 minutes per grade. So a fifth grader would have at most 50 minutes. My fifth grader never has that much, but he is very efficient at getting things done in school. Give it a week to make sure it isn't about settling in at school, and then ask the teacher if you can just put a time limit on the homework. That is what our teachers say to do.

And I just realized you didn't ask for any advice, so please feel free to tell me what to do with my unsolicited advice. Sorry.

If it stays 3 hours, I would definitely say something to the teacher. The rule for our county is no more than 10 minutes per grade. So a fifth grader would have at most 50 minutes. My fifth grader never has that much, but he is very efficient at getting things done in school. Give it a week to make sure it isn't about settling in at school, and then ask the teacher if you can just put a time limit on the homework. That is what our teachers say to do.

And I just realized you didn't ask for any advice, so please feel free to tell me what to do with my unsolicited advice. Sorry.

No, I appreciate the insight. i am going to be watching the homework load this week very carefully.

I think I am going to start a spin off. :D

Yes, 10 mins per grade is the norm here too. Of note, I met a mom of twin girls in my DD's class-- she had insisted they be in the same class particularly to avoid those discrepancies in homework, field trips, etc. I never thought of that myself (my brothers who were twins were always placed separately) but that was this mom's idea.