Menu

Spelling suggestions

I love everything I am using/doing with dd except spelling. We were using BJU Spelling 2 but it just wasn't making us happy. I think it was the workbook format...we are moving away from them. I tried a vintage book I had but the words were not grouped in phonetic/spelling rule order but based on a theme (Picnic, In the House, Christmas). DD liked this but I feel the need for a more orderly way to learn how to spell. One that does not take lots of time. I am thinking a list of words based on a phonics/spelling rule...no work pages or assignments. I usually have dd write sentences with her spelling words and practice her cursive as she practices spelling them...I have found this is enough work needed in this subject. Thanks in advance.

Check out Apples & Pears Spelling. It is designed for dyslexic dc. It is a very different approach to spelling. There are no lists. If you go over to the special needs board, you can read lots about the program. I use it with my dyslexic dd and my ds, who is not dyslexic. I really can't say enough about the program. I love it.

If you go to the web site, you can preview the entire program. The program uses dictation as part of the learning process. It also gives a tremendous amount of repetition. I started at the the beginning of the program this year with my 2nd grader. I thought it would be too easy, and the first several pages was, but I am glad I did. It gave my dd confidence.

I really like Spelling Power. Not many people use it on here, but it may be a good fit for you.

The book consists of lists of spelling words grouped by rules. The rules are basic spelling rules, but the amount of rules is not a extensive as some other programs, which is the way I like it.

One of the best aspects of this program IMO is the method of practicing new words. There is a worksheet on which the student writes the words he missed from the current word list. He looks at the word (noticing difficult aspects of the spelling), says it and spells it, says it and spells it with eyes closed, writes it in very large letters on something such as a white board, and then tests himself to see if he can spell it properly without looking. After words are practiced, the student makes one or more sentences with the spelling words. You could modify this method to suit your preferences.

I think this is a very effective spelling program. It is also efficient since it takes me about five minutes of my time per day for each child.

I love everything I am using/doing with dd except spelling. We were using BJU Spelling 2 but it just wasn't making us happy. I think it was the workbook format...we are moving away from them. I tried a vintage book I had but the words were not grouped in phonetic/spelling rule order but based on a theme (Picnic, In the House, Christmas). DD liked this but I feel the need for a more orderly way to learn how to spell. One that does not take lots of time. I am thinking a list of words based on a phonics/spelling rule...no work pages or assignments. I usually have dd write sentences with her spelling words and practice her cursive as she practices spelling them...I have found this is enough work needed in this subject. Thanks in advance.

Natural Speller! Word lists are sorted by grade level and then by phonetic rule or pattern. There are also some lists of words that fit together topically (for example in grade 2-3, it has separate lists for colors, days of the week, and contractions).

It's very inexpensive (about $15, I think), so you can't really go wrong. :001_smile:

Natural Speller! Word lists are sorted by grade level and then by phonetic rule or pattern. There are also some lists of words that fit together topically (for example in grade 2-3, it has separate lists for colors, days of the week, and contractions).

It's very inexpensive (about $15, I think), so you can't really go wrong. :001_smile:

I didn't even think about Kathryn Stout's book. Funny, because I just mentioned her subject books on another post. This might be what I am looking for.

I am not familiar with the other curricula mentioned, I will check them out...Thank you.

I think it is ok for me to post this since it is free...

After not finding what I wanted for my own homeschooling needs, I developed a spelling program that uses color-coding to reinforce the concepts (http://jettedgames.com/spelling.htm). It is organized and definitely phonics/rules based. The year of material I currently have available is geared toward 3rd grade (can be used for 2nd if reading well, or 4th if catching up b/c previous programs weren't using spelling rules).

I am currently working on a 2nd year, but as indicated on my web site, I will be asking for a nominal fee for that year given the time investment. (Year One will remain free)

Note: the web site listed above is new, I am in the process of moving over from my old web host, so if you run into any trouble feel free to email me (jetted4@gmail.com)

Edited by jetted4
I goofed in typing in the link the first time

I think it is ok for me to post this since it is free...

After not finding what I wanted for my own homeschooling needs, I developed a spelling program that uses color-coding to reinforce the concepts (www.http://jettedgames.com/spelling.htm). It is organized and definitely phonics/rules based. The year of material I currently have available is geared toward 3rd grade (can be used for 2nd if reading well, or 4th if catching up b/c previous programs weren't using spelling rules).

I am currently working on a 2nd year, but as indicated on my web site, I will be asking for a nominal fee for that year given the time investment. (Year One will remain free)

Note: the web site listed above is new, I am in the process of moving over from my old web host, so if you run into any trouble feel free to email me (jetted4@gmail.com)

The link in your post did not work but the one in your sig did.

Thank you for offering this:001_smile: