Menu

Questions on Tapestry of Grace and MFW

Janelless

This year for the first year ever I bought a "boxed" curriculum (HOD Bigger) and we are ending up hating it. At this point I'm tweaking everything to make it through the year. While I love the thought of HOD and like most of the books it's just not for our family.

So now looking ahead for next year I'm looking again at TOG. Or maybe even MFW. Or going my own route. I went with a boxed because my dh has diabetes and losing 3 toes in 2 years and numerous foot wounds, then out of work, I needed something I thought we could open and run with.

SO here's the thing...does TOG include science or do I need to come up with my own? I printed out the first weeks samples. How is MFW...lots of hands on? We need a hands on type of curriculum. DD (7 1/2) is a huge advanced reader so lots of books are an absolute bonus. The science in HOD is way to weak for us so I'm changing everything pretty much at this point. I'm not opposed to tweaking something to make it work, but having to tweak pretty much everything isn't working for me.

So just give me opinions I guess on MFW and TOG. What works, what doesn't.

Janelle

We are on our 3rd year of TOG and are hooked. We have never used MFW.

TOG does not have science, so you will need to get your own.

TOG is as hands-on as you want. They purposefully design in more than you could ever do in each week, so if you have a child that is in need of activity, then you would lean that way when selecting the learning projects.

TOG doesn't include math or science.

It is my favorite big curricula and we use quite a bit of it.

That said, I have also learned over that years that once you are a tweaker you will always be one. Nothing will ever be quite right. I wouldn't try to find a curricula that you don't need to tweak-just aim for one you don't need to tweak too much. :001_smile:

I've never used TOG. I've used MFW for a long time. One of the common comparisons has to do with amount of mom time on lesson prep. MFW is pre trimmed in that regard. From listening to my real life friends who love TOG, they are doing more in prep time than I do in MFW. It could just be them, though.

mfw - hands on included. Science is included. But one of the common things I hear on the internet about mfw is that people either love or hate the science. My dh holds advanced degrees in science and we like MFW 's science approach. We always found it easy to add in other fun science that was of interest to our children (grab library books, or do more experiments, etc). Again, it will depend on the student and year of program. are you looking at ECC or ADV? But if you like science and have a student who wants more, you can easily add to MFW with that whole Charlotte Mason "productive but unstructured afternoons" philosophy.

plenty of book basket in MFW.

-crystal

Thanks guys. I don't mind tweaking because I am one by nature. I can't even follow a recipe without tweaking. But I've found with HOD I'm tweaking the whole thing. So yes I'm aiming for something that's "less" tweaking! I don't even mind the more parent intensive or less. That doesn't bother me. I'm still in the frustrated mode I guess because we put out the money and it's not working. I'll go read the reviews. Still considering both for right now. Thanks again.

TOG doesn't include science but one nice way to work science in is to take a historical approach. We did the human body when we studied Da Vinci, we have been studying physics and astronomy like you would with idea of BF History of Science, as we move through the corresponding historical period. Earth Science is being addressed as we study the westward movements in the US and we addressed volcanoes and earth's core when we discussed Pompeii and read the stories about Krakatoa. Many of the resources you could use are listed in TOG, like the Da Vinci activities books, the Ben Franklin activities books, all the listed books about Galen, Galileo, forward through Robert Fulton, you get the idea. I think it's a great way to address science in the younger years.

Thanks guys. I don't mind tweaking because I am one by nature. I can't even follow a recipe without tweaking. But I've found with HOD I'm tweaking the whole thing. So yes I'm aiming for something that's "less" tweaking! I don't even mind the more parent intensive or less. That doesn't bother me. I'm still in the frustrated mode I guess because we put out the money and it's not working. I'll go read the reviews. Still considering both for right now. Thanks again.

some thinking points even though I have no answers....

*what kind of tweaking is ok amoung

and

*what kind of tweaking is making HOD feel not right?

I wonder if looking at this blog of an MFW tweaker, who uses MFW as the basis of her co-op might give you an idea if it is helpful?

http://homeschoolblogger.com/mfwexplorers/exploring-countries-and-cultures/

I look at it and think - ewww.. .too much for me. I don't do nearly that much extra. it's fine as written without all of that.

on the other hand, it shows how someone else who uses and likes ECC tweaks.

-crystal