Menu

A question or three about spaghetti squash.

I made my first spaghetti squash last night to serve with spaghetti and meat sauce. YUM! DH tried it as leftovers today. I served regular pasta for the kids because I didn't want it to be a flop/I wasn't sure how much to make. So, my questions:

Is there a rule of thumb for lbs/squash to how many it will feed? I picked a smallish medium sized one yesterday and it fed me, DH, and there is still some left over. There are 5 kids to feed, as well.

What is the best way to cook it? The sticker on it said prick it, leave whole and scoop out the seeds after cooking. That was kind of a pain but not unbearable. Is it easier to cut, scoop, and then bake?

I has a question about price, too. But it is probably pointless to ask since prices are different everywhere.

I love spaghetti squash. I've tried to scoop the seeds before the baking process but it doesn't seem to work very well for me so I follow the directions on the sticker - except I think the sticker I usually see says to cook it in the microwave and I always do it in the oven.

I'm not sure about servings per pound - I'm the only one in my house that will eat it so I fix one and just eat it for lunch for a few days all by myself :)

Just be careful to REALLY REALLY poke it before sticking it in a microwave!!! We've cooked them in there for years, but earlier this year my MIL was getting it ready & she didn't poke it very well (she has arthritis & didn't stab deep - I usually slam it a bunch with a large knife). Anyhow... 1 new microwave later... be careful to REALLY poke it!!! :D :D

Interestingly enough, we just got a spag squash from the store this week after not eating it for awhile (kind of thrown off our game by the exploding microwave thing!) and it was WAY smaller than I am used to! Usually, I would have said 1 good sized squash could easily feed 2 adults and 5 (non adult portion) kids. With this one, thought, I'd think it might take 2-3 of the little things! :)

We've tried cooking them by cutting first & de-seeding, but it hasn't worked as well as just poking it a bunch and throwing it in the microwave. Well, overall, of course! :D

I always cut them in half and remove the seeds/pulp before cooking. I place them shell side up in a lasagna pan with about half an inch of water and nuke 'em for 8 to 10 minutes. We don't like it mushy! I always grab the largest one that I can find and it's enough to feed my family, but two of mine don't love spaghetti squash and just take a very small portion.

For me, the effort of cutting into a tough squash prior to cooking exceeds the issue of scooping out the seeds after cooking. Much easier,imo, to toss the whole thing into the oven and scoop later.

Can't believe a squash that size only fed you and your dh with just a little left over! Did you get all of it out of the shell? A medium sized one feeds 5 people here, , 3 of whom are ravenous teenaged boys who love the stuff. We get large helpings and some seconds.

I always attack it with a big knife and whack the knife with a meat tenderizer (heavy metal thing) to get it through the squash to cut the squash into two long halves - then I scoop out the seeds, lay the sides cut-side down on a pan or cookie sheet, and bake them for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

I LOVE spaghetti squash!

For me, the effort of cutting into a tough squash prior to cooking exceeds the issue of scooping out the seeds after cooking. Much easier,imo, to toss the whole thing into the oven and scoop later.

Can't believe a squash that size only fed you and your dh with just a little left over! Did you get all of it out of the shell? A medium sized one feeds 5 people here, , 3 of whom are ravenous teenaged boys who love the stuff. We get large helpings and some seconds.

I didn't pay attention to the actual weight. It could have been on the small size. I probably didn't get it all out and I lost some scooping out the seeds.

I always attack it with a big knife and whack the knife with a meat tenderizer (heavy metal thing) to get it through the squash to cut the squash into two long halves - then I scoop out the seeds, lay the sides cut-side down on a pan or cookie sheet, and bake them for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

I LOVE spaghetti squash!

This is what I do too.

When I first started serving it, I'd serve it as a side dish with the pasta to the kids so they could try it and realize it wasn't toxic.

I love cooking spaghetti squash! I had no clue what to do with it and then I read the betty crocker cookbook...it says poke holes in it (i poke lots of slashes with the knife carefully) and then microwave it 8 minutes at a time...usually twice...until it is soft. Then you CAREFULLY remove it and you can slice it in half...and let it vent! Then just scoop out the seeds and use a fork to get the squash. I like it with white alfredo only or butter garlic sauce. I add tomatoes, artichoke, broccoli etc. It is so yummy