Menu

Valentine Exchange?

Jen and I will get everything figured out in the next day (or two) and will let you know on the next step for signing your kiddos up for the Valentine exchange.

Handmade, store-bought, and everything in between will be LOVED by our kiddos, so don't worry about it!

Each family will get a chance to state how many cards they want to send, and can submit all of their children. We will make sure we give your kiddos names out evenly in hopes that everyone can get a similar amount of cards.

Am I too late to get in on this? I have a 9yo dd & a 6yo ds & this would be the coolest thing.

And now I am going to admit something horrifying. Other than packages to deployed loved ones I have never sent mail out of the country. Is it different if it is letter size?

Thanks,

Amber in SJ

Edited by Amber in SJ
random letter

Ok, so I know from reading stories that American kids swap Valentines at school. I am under the impression that they are often heart shaped and have pieces of paper doilies stuck on them. :tongue_smilie: This is obviously not a thing that Australians do, so I should like to hear the full story!

:)

Rosie

Ok, so I know from reading stories that American kids swap Valentines at school. I am under the impression that they are often heart shaped and have pieces of paper doilies stuck on them. :tongue_smilie: This is obviously not a thing that Australians do, so I should like to hear the full story!

:)

Rosie

In stories they are often handmade lacy valentines. In real life they are often Disney or Spiderman or something purchased in the store (usually in sets of 20 or so). The kids have always received a mix (handmade/store bought). Sometimes candy is included. Sometimes stickers or temporary tattoos.

When I was a kid it was just paper valentines. I used to give the most romantic ones to the boys I liked. But they never caught on. :lol:

do we need to let you know how many we would be willing to do now?

Nope! Tomorrow I'll PM everyone as soon as I hear from my marvelous volunteer.

I can tell you that there will be two types of lists: one list for the crazies who want to do EVERYONE (like me!!) and one list of 20 names of children (or families if people want to do it that way).

Alrighty. As of right now, I believe I have sent a PM to everyone who ever posted an interest in this thread. Rosie in particular, I don't know if you want to participate but I don't want to make any assumptions. :)

If you wish to be added after this, we can do that through tomorrow.

If you did not get a PM from me and you have previously posted here - feel free to PM me and chastise me. :D

If you do wish to participate, please respond to your list maker by January 10. Moe is insanely eager to begin spreadsheeting. She rocks! When we find out who is responding where, we will be able to give you a better idea of when spreadhseeting will be done.

We ended up with about 50 interested posters.

Take care, everyone! :001_smile:

Just in case you're joining us late or been stalking not sure if you want to participate I thought I'd copy the PM sent out here for all to see. It's really not scary, I promise! DD picked out valentine paper today at Target, she's excited for the project! Anyway, let us know if you have any questions!

Due to the interest level, we are going to try to do more than one type of exchange because not everyone can send out seven pages of Valentines.

So here's what you need to do:

1. If you do NOT want to partcipate - do nothing. You may be contacted once more to make sure we haven't accidentally dropped you but we will try very hard not to bother anyone who does not want to be bothered.

2. If you want to exchange a lot of Valentines, PM me (Jennifer3141)

3. If you would like to be on a randomized list of no more than 20 participants, please PM MHowell

Moe is looking forward to a spreadsheet challenge!

Here's a few pointers:

1. Homemade Valentines are lovely and so are the store bought ones. There is no guilt in just running through Target and sending a box of regular old Valentines out. There is also no guilt if you decide to make each individual Valentines from doilies, glitter, and organic alpaca wool. All I can say is that the envelope itself is quite exciting, in our experience and the spectrum will be half the fun.

2. If there are any foreign countries on your lists, please get those out in the mail ASAP. I noticed last year that it took a month to get/send something from Canada. After all, it's not those kids' fault that they are Canadian.

3. Extra goodies in the envelopes are fine. I will say that pencils rarely survive the trip. I don't know what the USPS is doing to small packages that have a pencil in them but it is not good.

4. If we have any children that absolutely, positively cannot have one piece of candy, please tell whichever list maker you have and we will make sure to notate that next to your address.

5. Everyone has different security feelings. If you do not feel safe listing your child/ren's ages or names, that is fine. You may write, "The Children of Mrs. Jones" or call your children Mr. or Miss Jones. If you want the Valentines mailed to your DH's work or whatever because you don't want to give out your home address, that is fine too.

6. Once you send your contact information back to a list maker, please be cognizant that you have just made a commitment to mail the Valentines to everyone on your list. Don't drop kids because you suddenly develop an intense hatred of Catholics and you suspect the children of a Catholic poster is on your list. God sees that. And for us atheists... karma SUCKS. These are children. Just don't be mean to children and you'll be ok in the end.

7. If you have multiple children and want every single one of them to get a Valentine, that is totally fine. If you want to send and receive as a group, that is totally fine too. Be aware of your littlest ones and if you think your three year old's feelings would be hurt at being left out, by all means include them!

Any questions beyond this, feel free to post them to the board. Moe and I will get on it as soon as we can.

Have FUN doing this and HAPPY VALENTINES DAY to all the mamas and daddies who are doing this!!

Jen and Moe

To clarify Moe's post - PM her if you want to be on a limited list. Continue to PM me if you want to send/recieve to more people.

Because Moe is doing such an awesome job and because many people were scared off by the warnings of a big list, we really only have 24 kids on the "big" list now so don't get too scared. :)

Tuesday is fast approaching, folks. Moe's already got her lists out. I'll pick up stragglers for the big list until Tuesday morning.

Those of you on the big, BRAVE list... if you do not get a PM from me by Tuesday evening, feel free to PM me. I'm double and triple checking mine but mistakes happen.

That reminds me - EVERYBODY CHECK YOUR ADDRESS ON YOUR LIST AS SOON AS YOU GET IT. I'm thinking we're going to find Moe is perfect at this but stuff happens. So check yourselves please!!!

That reminds me - EVERYBODY CHECK YOUR ADDRESS ON YOUR LIST AS SOON AS YOU GET IT. I'm thinking we're going to find Moe is perfect at this but stuff happens. So check yourselves please!!!

I wasn't worried until now! My address wasn't on the list I received earlier today. Should it have been? :confused:

I wasn't worried until now! My address wasn't on the list I received earlier today. Should it have been? :confused:

No, hopefully your own address is not listed in the pm I sent to you. Though one Mom received all her kids but one on her list :blushing: But I fixed it! :D

No, hopefully your own address is not listed in the pm I sent to you. Though one Mom received all her kids but one on her list :blushing: But I fixed it! :D

Okay, thank you!

Also, my ds wanted to start on Valentines the moment he saw the list. What is it with 8 year olds and snail mail? :lol:

I've gotten a few messages since closing the small group, and have decided to go ahead and make a second group for those still interested. Cut off for entry will be Friday, and lists will go out on Saturday. :)

MY DS would love to participate!

I'm heading off to the organic co-op to start our juice fast and after that, I'll be sending out the big list. I want to send it before I pass out!! :lol::lol:

I sent a PM to you, but thought I'd post here to be safe, also. I've already had contact with you, but hadn't given an address. Do you need those for the list going out today? I sent it to your inbox.

Thanks!

Ok, the BIG list is out. If anyone else wants to be added, Moe is holding a list open for stagglers. Do not PM me to be added to a list. Ours is closed now. :001_smile:

If you have not received a list from me by now and you did send me your information and ask to be on the large list, feel free to PM me and I'll fix it!!