Menu

Hempstead, NY?

My son is looking closely at Hofstra University's Honors College. We will probably fly out for a visit in a couple of months, but until then I wonder if anyone here can give us an impression of the area (and of the school, if you are familiar).

I wonder most about the ease of moving around the area. He will not have a car during his first year of school, so I am curious about public transit. I also would like to know if getting into the big city for internships, ect. would be a reasonable expectation.

Thank you!

Our town is annexed into North Hempstead, so we are right next to it basically. We are about 6 miles from Hofstra.

Public buses are easy to come by. Walking is easy as well. Nassau is made up of many small towns, villages and hamlets, all right next door to each other. Most have their own little centers or tiny downtowns. So once you get to the 'center' you just walk around it. Biking is also very common.

I'd think he'd live on campus at least for his first year. That would have to be cheaper than living off campus I think. So that makes the no car issue easier.

As for the city, LIRR runs directly to Penn Station NYC. Once there you just grab your subway to where. We are on the Port Jeff line. From our station in New Hyde Park to Penn is about 33 minutes, so a super easy commute.

LaGuardia is super easy to get to and close. We've got a great car service I can recommend if you need. They are super reliable and cheap.

PM if you have more questions.

Our town is annexed into North Hempstead, so we are right next to it basically. We are about 6 miles from Hofstra.

Public buses are easy to come by. Walking is easy as well. Nassau is made up of many small towns, villages and hamlets, all right next door to each other. Most have their own little centers or tiny downtowns. So once you get to the 'center' you just walk around it. Biking is also very common.

I'd think he'd live on campus at least for his first year. That would have to be cheaper than living off campus I think. So that makes the no car issue easier.

As for the city, LIRR runs directly to Penn Station NYC. Once there you just grab your subway to where. We are on the Port Jeff line. From our station in New Hyde Park to Penn is about 33 minutes, so a super easy commute.

LaGuardia is super easy to get to and close. We've got a great car service I can recommend if you need. They are super reliable and cheap.

PM if you have more questions.

That all sounds wonderful. Thank you so much!

Yes, he will live on campus. Based on the maps we've looked at online, it does look as if there is quite a lot within walking distance.

I am certain we will have more questions, and I would love to send them your way if you don't mind.