Menu

s/o Loop Schedule Experts: how does this look?

Halcyon

This will be my first time using a formal loop, although it's been our informal method for a while. Could those of you with experience take a look at this loop? Is it too much? I want to get Science and History at least weekly, and my thought was that this loop would be completed every two weeks....which looks doubtful given the length.

Thoughts?

Daily: (Begin at 8 am)

__ Reading (45-60 min)

__ Math (45 min)

__ Latin (30-45 min)

__ Writing (20 min)

__ Xtramath.com (10 min)

__ Memory Work (10 min)

__ Piano (10 min)

Finish by 11:30. Have Lunch. 12:00 noon begin Loop.

Loop:

__ Science

__ Grammar

__ Mythology

__ Geography

__ Yoga

__ Free Writing

__ History

__ Typing Practice

__ Grammar

__ Weekly Reader

__ Mythology

__ Composer Studies

__ Science

__ Typing Practice

__ History

__ Grammar

__ Yoga

__ Science

__ Weekly Reader

__ Geography

__ Free Writing

__ History

__ Artist Study

__ Typing Practice

__ Yoga

Finish by 2:30 on Afterschool Days, later on Home Days.

ETA: see streamlined list below :)

Edited by Halcyon

I am by no means a loop expert, but I don't understand why in your 2nd list you have subjects listed twice?

Because I want to get to certain subjects more often than others (for example, I want to do more Science than Composer Studies). It was suggested by another "loop-er" to just increase the number of times a subject shows up in your list if you plan to do it more frequently than another subject.

I could be very wrong, however :)

ETA: okay, just tried to simplify it down to one week's worth of lessons.

Weekly Loop:

__ Science

__ Grammar

__ Weekly Reader

__ Geography

__ Yoga

__ Typing Practice

__ Free Writing

__ History

__ Grammar

__ Typing Practice

__ Mythology

__ Composer/Artist Studies (alternate)

Edited by Halcyon

I know you are trying to simplify so please don't take this the wrong way. The list is overwhelming to me. I am the adult, and I just can't see myself doing so many things so regularly. There is nothing wrong with the list in itself, however, most of these things you can get to without a list.

Of course, it could work if this list is really just for you, and you are not pressuring anyone to get to x-thing next. I hope I haven't offended you.

Because I want to get to certain subjects more often than others (for example, I want to do more Science than Composer Studies). It was suggested by another "loop-er" to just increase the number of times a subject shows up in your list if you plan to do it more frequently than another subject.

I could be very wrong, however :)

ETA: okay, just tried to simplify it down to one week's worth of lessons.

Weekly Loop:

__ Science

__ Grammar

__ Weekly Reader

__ Geography

__ Yoga

__ Typing Practice

__ Free Writing

__ History

__ Grammar

__ Typing Practice

__ Mythology

__ Composer/Artist Studies (alternate)

I think it looks great. Go with whatever works for you and your kids! :001_smile: The only thing we do daily is math; everything else is based on a block schedule. I'm glad you went with some form of alternate scheduling, though. I can't imagine trying to do it all daily! :ack2:

Looks good to me! One thing that I did before was to have 2 loops going. If you want to ensure that 2 subjects get done in the afternoon, you could divide it into a Loop 1 and a Loop 2 (still repeating subjects that you want to cover more frequently). Whether you divide it or not, it really looks like a solid plan to me!

Are you setting the additional subjects to 1:15 minutes each session?

Not necessarily. We'll take as long as we need. My general hope is that we get through a loop every week, but if we don't that's okay. Typing is only 15 minutes, Grammar is 20-30, but Science and History can take anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours depending on what we're doing! So we'll just go with the flow....

Looks good to me! One thing that I did before was to have 2 loops going. If you want to ensure that 2 subjects get done in the afternoon, you could divide it into a Loop 1 and a Loop 2 (still repeating subjects that you want to cover more frequently). Whether you divide it or not, it really looks like a solid plan to me!

If the method I posted doesn't work, I'll definitely try this. There are certain subjects that I want to get to more frequently, so that might be a good plan. Thanks!

Okay, I get it, I thought you were doing 2 subject loops at first.

I've been doing a ton of reading on focus, retention and time with subject study. It's one of the major changes I'm making this year; intentional breaks combined with movement and nutrition- and actually very purposefully not letting any subject study run more than 90 minutes at a go no matter how engrossed we are.

It's an experiment at this point.

Stop, stretch, move, hydrate, nourish and dive back in.

We are adding Leslie Sansone! Mostly for me, but I think my dd's will like it as well.

I am looking forward to tomorrow when dh is still off and I can actually write down my loop in my planner and the first week of lesson plans for this semester (procrastinate much?:blink:) Then we will actually begin on Tuesday.

I have planned the 4 r's as well daily, but with the ages of my littles, I think these are more important than other subjects right now. We will have breakfast, two of the r's, Leslie, then 2 more r's, then lunch, then loop.

No set time on days we don't have afternoon stuff. We have Girl Scouts from 3:30-5pm 2x monthly, and homeschool park day on Tuesday and Friday at 2pm (two different homeschool groups).

I don't always get to both park days, but they are both there.

I think we should easily make our loop 2x in one week as many things are oral at this point. That would make me ecstatic!

We are adding Leslie Sansone! Mostly for me, but I think my dd's will like it as well.

I am looking forward to tomorrow when dh is still off and I can actually write down my loop in my planner and the first week of lesson plans for this semester (procrastinate much?:blink:) Then we will actually begin on Tuesday.

I have planned the 4 r's as well daily, but with the ages of my littles, I think these are more important than other subjects right now. We will have breakfast, two of the r's, Leslie, then 2 more r's, then lunch, then loop.

No set time on days we don't have afternoon stuff. We have Girl Scouts from 3:30-5pm 2x monthly, and homeschool park day on Tuesday and Friday at 2pm (two different homeschool groups).

I don't always get to both park days, but they are both there.

I think we should easily make our loop 2x in one week as many things are oral at this point. That would make me ecstatic!

That sounds great! We also have some afternoon activities which will curtail our loop on certain days....Wed and Thursday we need to be done by 2:15 as the boys go to Afterschool while I work....Tuesday, we have piano at 1:15 so we generally break for that and resume afterwards for an hour or so. Monday and Friday we can go for as long as we please (well, there's tennis at 4:30....)

Anyway, I am excited to start this morning! I woke up late as I am still suffering from a bad head cold, but was pleased to see that both boys had already finished their reading for an hour and had breakfast (thanks hubby!) so we are about to begin Math. We're going to go a little "light" for a couple days as we get back into the flow, but I'm psyched!