Menu

Mandatory testing in VA -- help 1st timer

mlktwins

My boys are 6.5 and will be taking a standardized test for the first time in the near future. I live in VA and I need to conduct mandatory testing and submit the scores to the county by August 1st. Here is the part of the law I'm referring to:

The parent who elects to provide home instruction shall provide the division superintendent by August 1 following the school year in which the child has received home instruction with either (i) evidence that the child has attained a composite score in or above the fourth stanine on any nationally normed standardized achievement test...

Now that is getting closer, I'm coming up with a game plan and have a few questions:

1. When should I test them (spring, early summer, or soon)?

2. I need to figure out what they need to be tested in -- I thought I had read it was math and LA, but now I can't find where I read that. If it is math and LA, do you still give them the full test (that includes social studies, science etc) and submit all scores to the county?

3. My boys have never taken a standardized test. I am planning to do some practice test so they get used to being timed and filling out the bubble sheets. Did you find this necessary with your first timers? If you used practice tests, what did you use? I was looking at Spectrum Test Prep for 1st grade.

4. I am still researching, but right now am leaning towards the ITBS. The law says "any nationally normed standardized achievement test" but is it worthwhile to call the county and find out if they have a preference?

I hope my questions make sense. I haven't been worried about it, but now that it is getting closer, I'm getting nervous. My boys are in 1st grade for purposed of reporting to the county, but both are working ahead in LA and math. We are on our 2nd year of science. For history last year we studied the states and Presidents (with American History along the way). This year we are doing SOTW 1 which I know will not be on the test -- LOL.

Anything else I am missing? Thanks so much for any responses.

I'm not in VA, but if it says "any" test, I'd consider CAT-E from Seton. If the law says "any", then the county can't really tell you which one, right?

http://www.setontesting.com/

easy to administer by parent. Here is the content. Focus on Reading, Lang. Art, and math.

http://www.setontesting.com/content.php

It is timed test. take some practice time.

-crystal

oh wait... I'd test in early spring to have time to get result and all of that. I know too late in the year ,and then results can be longer. seton had a great turn around time last year for me. 2 weeks and we did it in mid February.

it's paperwork. :grouphug:

the CAT-E that Seton does is a nice and gentle intro to the whole testing thing.

-crystal

We haven't done the testing so I can't help you there.

But I thought I'd throw out that we went with the outside evaluator last year. I had thought you had to have an approved evaluator and thought it would be expensive and that my son would be too shy to talk to someone. But I re-read the law and discovered that anyone with a master's degree in any academic subject (or a valid teaching license) can do the evaluation. I had a friend with a master's in English who has been a teacher do it. It was a very easy, gentle way to do the first evaluation. She did a fantastic job (I've actually encouraged her to start doing this as a business.) We'll do the testing at some point but I wanted to wait until my kids were older.

Also, I know in NoVA there are some homeschool organizations that offer testing (FISHE is one that comes to mind). I thought about going that route if we do test.

My best friend teaches 3rd grade and has a master's degree. I hadn't approached her about the evaluation option. She has not done this before. I'm wondering what would be required of her to prepare for this and provide me with something to provide to the county?

We've been living in SEVA for 4 years now so I've turned in a lot of testing requirements. I just use the CAT-E from seton because it fits what the state is looking for. Any test means just that any test that is nationally normed. I like the CAT-E because it's short, and to the point. It only tests Math and LA which is what they are looking for. The state doesn't care about the science or social studies scores. Because seton has great turn around time (being located in VA helps with that) I usually test in late May or Early June.

I'm not sure if this applies to you or not but if your kids weren't 6 by Sept. 30th 2011 you don't have to test them this year. Only kids who were 6 by Sept. 30th of that school year are subject to testing.

I'm not sure if this applies to you or not but if your kids weren't 6 by Sept. 30th 2011 you don't have to test them this year. Only kids who were 6 by Sept. 30th of that school year are subject to testing.

We didn't test last year for K for this reason. They turned 6 this past June.

I will look into the CAT-E. I am still interested in what is required during an eval, but also want the kids to get practice taking tests.

We didn't test last year for K for this reason. They turned 6 this past June.

I will look into the CAT-E. I am still interested in what is required during an eval, but also want the kids to get practice taking tests.

Ok, I hear you. My son was that way too.

If you'd like them to get practice taking tests, I would just give them the CAT-E (no need for practice before hand really) and you could either turn it in or have an evaluation done. I did an evaluation when I was living in FL, but not sure what one here in VA entails, the testing requirement is just so much easier for me to handle.

This should help on tests:

http://www.vahomeschoolers.org/eval/option_i.asp

And evaluations:

http://www.vahomeschoolers.org/eval/option_ii.asp

I prefer at-home testing using the CAT-E from Seton until 3rd grade or so because I could time it for a good period of the day and spread it out over several days. The turn-around is quick. You don't have to do any more than that, and for a young child, I don't see the point of testing them on more than math and language arts. Having them sit for longer testing on subjects they may not have studied is not a priority then. By testing at home, you can make sure that they are paying attention and that they work steadily.

Beyond that, the PASS from Hewitt, the ITBS, and Stanford are all fine and can also be done from home within certain restrictions.

At some point, most homeschoolers I know switch to group testing to prepare them for college tests. I've proctored in group situations, and it seems to work best for 5th and up because of the many hours and short breaks required to get it done. That format is tough on the little guys.

Testing really isn't that big of a deal. I submit the CAT, which we do through Christian Liberty Academy (now done on-line, with instant results). Print out the results (one for me, one for the county), and mail them in with my NOI and curriculum outline. It's about $20 per test, and is very simple to administer (although you have to read everything aloud at that level).

Since the scores are available right away, I now wait until June to test and submit my NOI at the end of June. Prior to the instant notification, I would test in April and have my results back by mid-to-late June.

HTH!

Testing really isn't that big of a deal. I submit the CAT, which we do through Christian Liberty Academy (now done on-line, with instant results). Print out the results (one for me, one for the county), and mail them in with my NOI and curriculum outline. It's about $20 per test, and is very simple to administer (although you have to read everything aloud at that level).

Since the scores are available right away, I now wait until June to test and submit my NOI at the end of June. Prior to the instant notification, I would test in April and have my results back by mid-to-late June.

HTH!

CLP says they use the 1970 version of the CAT test. I'm confused how this constitutes a nationally normed test if it's not the same test being taken by all of the other kids.

Can someone explain that to me??

Here is what I have done for testing:

I order my tests in March, and I plan to give them over one week either in March or early April. This way I can get the test results back in time to make sure the kids passed. If for some reason they don't pass, I would still have time to retest them before the deadline.

For 1st-2nd grades, I have used the CAT-5 Complete Battery. It contains some questions on science and social studies, but not very many. (I think the CAT-5 "survey" version is shorter and only contains the math and LA.) I thought the CAT-5 was very straightforward and not difficult to pass. I think most students who have had an average education could achieve the required score to meet the requirement. For a child with a learning disability, evaluation may be more appropriate.

For third grade on up, I am planning to switch to the ITBS just because I am interested in doing a more rigorous test in order to evaluate where my kids are academically (for my personal information). I think which test you choose should be determined by what your goals are for testing. If you just want to fulfill the requirement, get a simple, easier test. If you want to use the testing to see where your kids are academically and make sure you don't have gaps in your curriculum, then use one of the longer, more rigorous tests. From researching (not personal experience) it sounds like ITBS is one of the more rigorous and difficult.

Have you seen the HEAV website on this subject? This is very helpful:

http://heav.org/testing/options/standardized/choosing.html

There is some mention that the CAT-5 is being phased out and replaced by the Tara Nova, but I don't know much about this.

A couple more things since I just reread the initial post:

DON'T call your county about testing. Call HEAV if you need to talk to someone.

I have also heard that you only need to test for LA and math, but I don't know where it says that in VA law. Whichever test you choose, I would do the whole thing with your kids.

A couple more things since I just reread the initial post:

DON'T call your county about testing. Call HEAV if you need to talk to someone.

I have also heard that you only need to test for LA and math, but I don't know where it says that in VA law. Whichever test you choose, I would do the whole thing with your kids.

Thanks for the info on the CAT-5. I will look into it. I am using HEAV to research the different testing options. Love that site. Also the VA Homeschoolers site.

After reading the responses, I am feeling more comortable. I will not call the county :D. Great advice!!! I don't give them a lot of info in my NOI and am not on their radar. Would like to keep it that way.

I was just looking at my Spectrum Testing Practice book. For anyone that has used the CAT-E (or the CAT-5) are the answers to be filled in directly below the question (like in the practice test) or will it be a separate answer (bubble) sheet?

Thanks again!

I used the CAT 5. It is fast and the parent can administer the test. I took a magic marker and blacked out all results and the parts of the report that were not about math and LA. The boys did great but I don't want to give the state more than required by law.

We're using the ITBS this year (Level 7) and my DD is your children's age. I chose it because it is a more comprehensive test and *I* wanted that for our first year of testing. Next year we will most likely switch to an evaluator as it seems a more reasonable way to track the progress of very young children.

The answers are recorded IN the book itself. We are in VA and I ordered from Seton testing - they are in VA and even though I tested in May, I got the results within two weeks. You do not need to test additional subjects; the HEAV Web site has details.

:iagree:

Same here. Results are FAST, and the test was super easy despite our pretty much only doing spelling so far where tests are concerned.

I have myself conducted evaluations for other hs students, though, so I can talk a little about that. Unfortunately I can't evaluate my own kids' work :D, but when it comes to the evaluations, all the evaluator has to certify is the students have made sufficient progress. I do not include grade levels or specifics. Just, for example, "This year in math John studied addition and subtraction of double digit numbers.... His work demonstrates satisfactory progress."

I also only discuss progress in those subjects specifically named in the parents' NOI. Let me know if I can answer any more questions about the evaluation process.

HTH.