Menu

CLE + MUS grade 1?

mohini

Hi all,

This is my first question though I've been reading all your terrific answers for a long time:001_smile: My son is 5 in grade 1. We are using CLE for math. It's great and we are happy with it. My only concern is that my son has trouble applying the concepts that he learns (outside of the book that is.) I was wondering if anybody has experience using MUS with CLE. Will it help to reinforce the concepts in CLE? Can I use just the DVD with the Manipulatives or do I need the workbooks too? I just want it as a supplement (I think my son will like the visual explanations.) Can I use it as like a spare time thing? and of course, is it worth it? or does anybody have any better ideas to supplement CLE?

Anybody? Thanks

Math Mammoth would be a better and easier-to-use supplement for CLE. My oldest three used MUS before we all hated it and needed something else. Some of my kids are using CLE now. Others are using Math Mammoth. MM Blue is organized by topic and may be easier to use as a supplement than MM Light Blue, which is organized as a year-long program.

Hi! We use CLE too. What LU are you on? What concept(s) is he not getting? With a 5yo you may want to just take some time to make math hands on. You could either continue to do CLE concurrently or put it away for awhile. MUS is a fine program, but I think it would be unnecessary as a supplement. Do you have manipulatives that you are using now to illustrate the concepts? I do like and use the MUS blocks so they may be worth it on their own. I also use C-rods quite often.

If you really want a "program" to use then I would second the recommendation for MM. It makes a very good supplement to CLE, but I would really strongly encourage you to go "off the page" for now.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will definitely check MM (I was under the impression that it was a bit busy-worky? esp. in conjunction w/ CLE) We are working on LU 104 now. My son is great with the memorization part and easily does the bookwork but if I (for example) ask him what time it is... when it is 9:00 on the kitchen clock (digital) and he has just answered time questions in his book and wrote out other o'clocks, he just stares at it and starts mumbling about 90. Other things too, like he can count up the coins in his money cup no problem but don't ask him to count the change @ the store - I'm like:001_huh: does he get it or not? Maybe it's an age thing? Still CLE's a way better program for him than singapore was. I just thought MUS looked "fun." but I trust the Hive more than the hype.;)

I wouldn't use both programs, that would be overkill totally.

My youngest is 5 and we are on LU 102 right now is I use manipulatives to show concepts. Whether I use her toys or grab some erasers from our little caddy on the table. I show her, she shows me and it seems to work well this way.

You can do other things to help along , like cooking together, playing with Legos. Also remember that telling time isn't exactly an easy thing to do for a little kid. I know my older three it took time no matter what math program I used. My suggestion is if you have a digital clock , take it out and go over how to read it together. If you have an analog clock, like Judy Clock or can take it down off the wall you can show him its the same as when he does it in his math book. Play some games before setting him off to do his workbook work. As for money, well again, its an age thing. My girls did the exact same thing. I came to the conclusion its much easier to sit and figure out the money at home and you can take your time, versus being put on the spot to figure it out at a store with everyone staring at you while you count it out. Just really, keep practicing with him.

You really don't need another math program. I assure you. Those things will come in time with lots of practice using everyday thing at home. Really, whether you use CLE clocks on paper, or Math Mammoth clocks on pape,r or even MUS clocks on paper. He still isn't going to quite make that connection to the real thing unless you provide the opportunity.

I see that your child is only 4.5 . CLE is intended for a 1st grader. I do use it with my 5 yo, but she is very "mathy" and I always make sure to use a lot of manipulatives such as base ten blocks and Rightstart abacus. She enjoys Singapore as a supplement and it is very easy to add on . We did not like Math Mammoth because it looked like busy and boring pages of numbers, nothing exciting for a 5 or even 6 yo. We also have MUS DVDs but haven't used them much. If you choose to supplement CLE with MUS, I rec. the dvds only, but again, our favorite is Singapore .

IMO , CLE does not need a supplement if the teacher uses the TM correctly and illustrate concepts with base ten blocks and abacus , regardless of the child's learning style. At that age, any child is visual and kinesthetic :)

Also you can use an egg cartoon to illustrate facts. For ex 8+5 , put 8 in the cartoon, the rest outside and see how many are needed to make 10, then add the rest.

CLE 100 is a 1st grade curriculum, I would wonder if your ds is simply not ready for it. My 7.5 y/o dd (2nd grade) is doing the 200 series, and it's a good fit.

I am of the camp that math needs to be gentle and fun at that age. Doing too much, too soon can cause math frustration and resistance, and that is so hard to overcome in later years.

I'd put it away for a year, but that's me. I'm not familiar with MUS, but maybe they have a K program that would be better to do this year, and then next year do CLE 100? I would not do both.

Edited by Mallorie

Is your little one 5years old going into first grade? If so, I would hold off on CLE. It is a great program but I think it moves a bit too fast, even sometimes for a 6 year old first grader. You could try something like Miquon with cuisenaire rods for manipulatives or Singapore or a combo of the two. I have mixed feelings about MUS past the primer but it has more to do with my own experience rather than the strength of the program itself.

I'm sure others will chime in soon.:001_smile: