Menu

Science?

Hottater

So up until now for my son, we've done, Kindy - Consider God's Creation, 1st - Real science 4 kids Chemistry, and Konos which hits science related topics and I purchased Astronomy apologia which we will start this month and hopefully finish in August, but we really want to get back on some kind of 4 year cycle for science starting in 2nd grade, so that I can combine ages. Any suggestions? My daughter will be in K4 Abeka starting this month hopefully ending in August. So kindy would start when my son is starting 2nd grade. All my kids are 2 years apart. This year has been CRAZY. I can't imagine documenting EVERYTHING.

My hubby JUST bought WTM for christmas for me. I read through some chapters in the very beginning (Library had it). I feel so out of control with the art and the science this year. (Even though I purchased Artistic Pursuits and Apologia astronomy and the notebook. ) I guess I should have let him do some other artwork-- cartoony types because Artistic pursuits had a leap forward in the history time line (Dark ages, not much to teach), whereas, we're still in the late 900's in Mystery of History.

So, initial question, is what have you done, when there is terror toddler, a K'er a 2nd grader and how did you combine them to do science? Or did you just do everything seperately?

I'm with you...I babysit 2 toddlers (and even a newborn a few days per week) and I'm teaching a 1st grader and a 5th grader, plus we attend co-op one day a week and I am teaching 2 classes there. (Only reason I'm stretched this thin is because the money I earn from sitting affords me to stay home and my co-op pays teachers, which usually offsets the expense of the classes my kids get to take.) Gets pretty tough (at least for me - I may be easily overwhelmed...LOL). I have been using MFW, which includes science. They are still split for 1st & 5th curriculums, but next year will be combined. However - due to the fact that I just can't wrap my life around all the stuff we do - I do all of 1st science & pare it up a bit for my 5th grader and I choose certain science topics / experiments from my 5th graders curriculum. Truth be told - I don't always love the science for MFW and I'm actually using Considering God's Creation when I just don't want to do the science that we are doing this year (Genesis for Kids in Creation to the Greeks). But next year when they will both be in Rome to Reformation - science will be combined - and I think they use Apologia Astronomy for that one.

One other thing I do when I don't have time for science - especially if it's a drawn out project - I make it kind-of a 'fun' weekend project. I know that may sound like no fun - but it's what we have to do sometimes...and we enjoy the stress free, less-hurried science time. Sometimes I even just do something we don't have in our curriculum at all that we found online or in another book we have around. We do a project together and just add it to our science notebook. Both of them keep a science journal and they always notate what they do from hypothesis to results. Sorry if I'm not much help - but you mentioned wanting to combine ages and I'm doing that as well - and though it may seem a little dis-jointed - they really love our science projects and activities - so I guess it is working for us.

I highly recommend NOEO science. They have bio, chem and physics and I think they are doing astronomy (don't quote me on this though...). It is a wonderful program that combines reading quality, living books and narrating, illustrating, etc (whatever you want your child to do) and experiments that work and come with the supplies you need. I love it! You can easily combine kids within a few years of each other or you could do two levels of the same subjects and have some overlap there.

terror toddler? I definitely know about those.;)

If you really want to COMBINE for science, you could pick up another apologia book to do together or something like the outdoor secrets guide from Simply Charlotte Mason. I have not been able to combine ANYTHING without using naptime.

My oldest 2 are less than two years apart and I've found it much easier to just separate them while they take turns playing with my younger set. We're using science selections from Ambleside at the moment which is CM.