Menu

What level should our vitamin D and B12 be??

DS3's vitamin D level was 30, so low that the doctor referred him to a hematologist. The hematologist thought nothing of it, so he is taking supplements. What I think is strange is that he has always had 1-2 quarts of milk a day, which is supplemented with vitamin D.

I'd like to see his level be around 80.

From the vitamin D council:

Studies indicate that for proper health, serum vitamin D levels should be a minimum of 50 ng/mL (125 nmol/L), with optimal levels falling between 50-80 ng/mL (125-200 nmol/L). These values apply to both children and adults.

This is also my doctor's take. I think people probably do feel better in the higher ranges.

A person tends to need about 1000 IU per 25 pounds to maintain current levels. Some people raise levels easier with less while others need more of course. My husband and father in law seem to need less and I (and my mom and sister) need more. But generally I think people are surprised their levels are low because they take a bit of vitamin D which often isn't even a maintenance level or they rely on sun which doesn't work for everyone/perhaps most based upon this disturbing study.

A healthy adult can take up to 10,000 IU per day of D3 (it needs to be D3). If you're low I would and did go for that top range.

I'd do extra b12...you really don't need to worry about overdose with that one at all. I'd aim for levels mid normal and above myself but I've never seen an ideal range for that like I have for vitamin D levels. It may be out there/I don't have issues with b12 so haven't really researched it.

So what's the point of supplementing it with D2? Obviously, it doesn't do a good job since DS3's levels were so low and he drinks milk like we own a dairy.

In my opinion, there is no point other than the claim that it is supplemented. Perhaps they started to supplement with d2 before they knew that it wasn't absorbed as well as d3? I don't know. Here's a google project for the New Year! (I expect to see it on your accountability list to me tomorrow;))

So what's the point of supplementing it with D2? Obviously, it doesn't do a good job since DS3's levels were so low and he drinks milk like we own a dairy.

The vitamin D council has information about D2 vs. D3 but I believe either will raise blood levels. It's just that D2 is not normally produced in the body and the body seems to use D3 preferentially (if it has both it will use the D3 first). D2 also has more issues with toxicity. So D3 is preferred and perhaps better used by the body. Still, D2 should raise levels if provided in enough quantity.

So I would say more likely for your son it's a quantity issue. I just looked and my milk says 100 IU of vitamin D per 8 ounces. I posted that the average person needs 1000 IU per 25 pounds to maintain their current vitamin D levels (not increase, just stay even). So it would take a lot of milk to get adequate D for most. Further, I believe light degrades the vitamin D in milk. Sometimes milk is in opaque containers for that reason. Ours varies because I buy the cheapest--opaque or not.

They do D2 (just like the prescription forms of supplements are D2) just because it was discovered/created first.

I think mine are low...even low they say " normal" on my last tests. They are borderline low....even though I supplement daily. What are the optimal levels? Anyone know...Negin perhaps?

Thanks,

Faithe

Hey Faithe, both my kiddos have low D from Lyme, the lab sheet says optimal levels are <30ng/ml.

Over the years I've had doctors tell me various different things regarding normal B12 levels. (I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia over 20 years ago, and receive monthly B12 injections, so I'm well versed in B12 counts... sigh...)

The best average of that information I can offer is a range of anywhere between 400 and 1200. B12 levels below 300 can be considered suspect, but not dangerous. B12 levels below 100 are dangerous, and can possibly lead to nerve damage. A doctor visit is in order to find out if there are any digestive disorders. A low B12 count combined with a high MCV count (this is the size of your red blood cells) is a possible indicator of pernicious anemia and warrants further testing.

HTH.

Those who have built up their Vitamin D and B12 levels, would you please link the supplements you had success with? My doctor says Vitamin D is no longer a prescription and I should buy it over-the-counter? I think it would be cheaper if he gave me a prescription.

Both of the otc brands I took a couple of years ago appear to be discontinued.

TIA.

Those who have built up their Vitamin D and B12 levels, would you please link the supplements you had success with? My doctor says Vitamin D is no longer a prescription and I should buy it over-the-counter? I think it would be cheaper if he gave me a prescription.

Both of the otc brands I took a couple of years ago appear to be discontinued.

TIA.

Blue Bonnet - liquid Vitamin D3 drops

Blue Bonnet - liquid Vitamin B12 drops

I once heard liquid is faster and easier absorbed so I went this route.