Menu

R&S Writing

If I plan on using R&S for English, do I need a separate writing program? I know this has been asked a million times but searching is too many posts to wade through. Yeah, I'm being lazy.:tongue_smilie:

So no WWE/WWS, IEW, Classical Writing....or any of the other myriad of options? I want to be very clear because it will save me mucho moola as time goes on. (Rather my dh wants to know very clearly so I don't spend the mucho moola. :))

So no WWE/WWS, IEW, Classical Writing....or any of the other myriad of options? I want to be very clear because it will save me mucho moola as time goes on. (Rather my dh wants to know very clearly so I don't spend the mucho moola. :))

No, you do not need to add WWE/WWS, IEW, Classical Writing, et al.:001_smile:

Some people will add, "...as long as you're doing writing in other subject areas," but I don't because I'm assuming you will without my saying anything. :) But even if you don't, R&S is pretty comprehensive as far as writing goes. In the first 6 years, children are learning basic skills such as punctuation and capitalization, putting words together in sentences so they make sense, different kinds of sentences, word usage, and so on. (And let's not forget the writing that goes on during grammar instruction, such as "Write the following sentences adding correct end puncutation." I made that up, lol, but *all* writing counts, even if it isn't a lesson that specifically identifies itself as "writing."). Beginning with the 7th grade text, the actual writing assignments increase, because now the children know all of the foundations of written English and are ready to put that knowledge to work.

No, you do not need to add WWE/WWS, IEW, Classical Writing, et al.:001_smile:

Some people will add, "...as long as you're doing writing in other subject areas," but I don't because I'm assuming you will without my saying anything. :) But even if you don't, R&S is pretty comprehensive as far as writing goes. In the first 6 years, children are learning basic skills such as punctuation and capitalization, putting words together in sentences so they make sense, different kinds of sentences, word usage, and so on. (And let's not forget the writing that goes on during grammar instruction, such as "Write the following sentences adding correct end puncutation." I made that up, lol, but *all* writing counts, even if it isn't a lesson that specifically identifies itself as "writing."). Beginning with the 7th grade text, the actual writing assignments increase, because now the children know all of the foundations of written English and are ready to put that knowledge to work.

Thanks for this summary. I know have wondered many times if I need to add more writing for my boys but have not taken the time to wade through the posts either. This really helps me put my fears to rest, as it was what I was thinking but haven't been really been but in to words.

I think it depends on your preferences. I use R&S English, and I think it is a fantastic program for grammar. However, for writing I have added a combination of IEW, WWW, and a little WWE.

Perhaps you should get the R&S English books and see how you like them. Figure out your philosophy, your goals, and your strategy for teaching writing. Then you can decide if R&S is meeting your needs. Writing is a tricky subject to teach and not as straightforward as other subjects. On top of that, there are a fair number of homeschooled kids come out of high school deficient in writing skills. I think it is worth the time to invest in figuring out how you want to teach writing so that you can help your kids develop competency in that subject.

One note to add--I am not saying that R&S English isn't good for writing. I just personlly find the IEW and WWW programs a good fit because they match my philosophy and goals.