Menu

FB Post question. Honest opinions?

Looks like a good list for a son, probably not as much for a daughter.

FB tends to show an idealized sense of ourselves, and people will mostly post things that make themselves look good (in their opinion). Just look going for a job interview, or meeting someone new, you emphasize the things you are more proud of, and minimize the less desirable aspects. Perfectly normal. I wouldn't worry about it.

And besides, most people use New Years to set goals for self-improvement...physical, mental, etc. Sounds like he is doing well with that.

And besides, most people use New Years to set goals for self-improvement...physical, mental, etc. Sounds like he is doing well with that.

That's a good point. It wasn't the middle of June when he busted out with, "Ahhh...just hit 225!! Dude, I'll bet I bench press 300 by Christmas."

If he was tooting his horn at all, he was doing it in an incredibly humble manner for a 16yo guy.

After reading your clarification, I hear and understand your concerns, but no, his posting would still not bother me.

I think his outlook-- and yes, even a certain amount of posturing-- is normal, healthy behavior in a 16YO male. It does not mean he lacks any sense of humility or values. It means he is behaving the way a well-socialized 16YO might behave.

One day he'll be a grownup and realize what a self-centered kid he was and be embarassed about doing stuff like using New Years resolutions to show how fit he is. Since he'll get it on his own someday I wouldn't worry about it too much. Teenagers have hard time looking past themselves sometimes but eventually they do.

It's all okay. Except the goatee part.

LOL. Agreed.

Actually, I don't see it as bragging. I see it as goal-setting, which is an important part of physical training.

Why do I say it wasn't a brag? Because for a young guy his size, unless he's rail-thin, a one rep max bench press of 225 lbs isn't all that impressive.

It's maybe a little over average, and it is probably more than his lighter/shorter friends can lift, but it's nothin' special.

He probably knows this already, hence the goal of increasing to 300 lbs.

Edited by jplain