Menu

Taking photos at Mass--yes or no?

My son serves at Mass. I'd love to get a picture of him serving for his book but I don't want to do anything inappropriate. Can I do it or not?

I wouldn't do it without talking to your priest. I video taped a friend's RC wedding on her request and the priest came down really hard on me while I was setting up my tripod (I was doing it as a friend to the bride, I'm not a professional, and I assumed it was cleared by her and fairly standard at a wedding).

Despite not even being a Christian, I've actually been to Mass twice in my life. (Long stories...) It definitely didn't seem like the appropriate place for pictures. In all honestly, I wouldn't want someone possibly getting me in a picture while I was worshiping.

Why is it a nono?

Some places of worship -- not just Christian -- do not permit photography during worship services. Some prohibit just flash photos, some don't allow any.

OP, I would ask the priest. It might vary. I went to a Mass that allowed a professional photographer in for a particular reason (I can't remember) and was instructed not to be taking photos of the people in the pews. (And he may have just been taking photos during announcements. I don't remember.) And keep in mind, people in the background may not want to be photographed. If you get permission I'd be careful to only get a photo of your son. :)

Personally, I think the sound and flash of the camera during a sacred ceremony would be disrespectful to the other worshipers. As others said, talk to the priest but make sure your camera is silent (especially when focusing) and doesn't have a flash if you are allowed to take pictures during Mass. I'm sure most worshippers would understand your motivation, but they aren't there for your son, they are there to worship God.

I have two altar servers and plenty of pictures of them serving at Mass. But, since I've taken photos at the Catholic school Masses at the principal's request, that didn't feel odd to me. In any case, no one tackled me or reprimanded me. You can do it with your phone if you want to be less obtrusive but I just used my camera.

The church has photos taken at Masses. They must come from somewhere.