Menu

FaithManor (and other performance majors)--how does music fits into your current life

Beth in OH

Hi Faith--

I always feel a kindred spirit when I read your posts, since all of my dds have grown up intensely connected to classical music. You mentioned having gone to a Tier 1 LAC in piano performance. Do you mind telling us which school? Dd #3 is a junior this year, and we're gearing up for those senior year auditions. Although we'll be looking at flute professors, I'm always interested to hear how others have walked this path.

I'm also interested to hear about the role piano plays in your current life. Are you performing? Teaching? Dreaming about more time to play? Guiding your kids toward (or away :)) from music? I was exposed to the arts growing up, but I followed a very linear academic path toward law school. My dds are all involved in performing arts. I'm just interested in your story.

Others? Please share, too!

Thanks, Jane. I totally would have missed the GB post. I suspect from her description that her music might fall into the "dreaming about more time to play" category :-).

The General Board moves quickly so I was glad to have noticed her post. Otherwise several of us would have wondered what led to Faith's disappearance.

While I cannot be of help, I can wish you a Happy New Year! (Need musical note smilies!)

• 2 weeks later...

I graduated from Northwestern University (Bachelor of Music in Bassoon Performance) and Indiana University (Master of Music in Bassoon Performance). I traveled and played in many different orchestras in my 20's. Once I had kids, I found less and less time to practice. Since I had my third child, I have quit playing entirely. I am an all or nothing type person. I just don't have the time to devote to music right now. I don't know if this is a season and I'll play again later or if I will find new interests.

If I can help you in any way, let me know. My husband is an orchestra conductor, so I am still surrounded by music in some ways. I do miss it, but I focus on homeschooling my kids right now.

Well, I was music education but then switched my major the summer before my junior year. I've taught children's choir at my church since 1998 with a few breaks when I had my 3rd child and the year my dad died. I do a sticks group using materials from here: http://saltandlightmin.org/home/trainingresources.asp

However just recently the music minister and I have recently collaborated and come up with our own sign language/ stick things.

I've was music ministry chair for 5 years or so, but have taken a break..but to be honest I still sort of am. I run things like the Hanging of the Green service. When our music minister and his wife are out, I run the rehearsals. I even planned a few worship services during one period when his dad was dying and he kept having to fly back and forth to New Jersey ( from Texas). Over the last year I have begun to direct the adult choir more and more. In fact I got to this last Sunday as well.

I sang in a ladies ensemble that traveled around a little bit for a few years, but had to give that up. I am now in the Praise Team for worship.

I lead VBS music nearly every summer and that is fun!!! I've done music on some of our mission trips as well, learning songs in Spanish.

So even though I switched my major from music education to secondary education, I use my music A LOT. I can't imagine it not being a big part of my life. I sort of wish I had gone ahead and gotten my degree, but my husband could not have handled my being a "real" music teacher. They have so many extra performances and traveling and contests. He likes me home when he is home. Plus, I need to be here with the children. Dh's hours are tough (orthopaedic surgeon) and I need to be the stable one. The children have all participated in children's choir, stick groups, etc. Even the older one who doesn't particularly like performing, does the behind the scenes things like power point or sound. So it is something we can all do together.

Plus the degree at Baylor in the 80's was all opera. (Not my favorite.) I was told to stop singing that contemporary Christian crap. ( Amy Grant Age to Age) Of course now Baylor is excited about contemporary music and has several artists like David Crowder that are on some kind of a board for a degree in music publishing or something. I also got stage fright VERY badly. I barely passed my sophmore barrier. I was so nervous knowing my whole degree rested on passing it that I completely blew my first song, but I recovered. My voice coach was so disappointed in me. It is a big reason why I changed majors. I am an adequate singer. He gave me a B+ my freshman year first semester until he realized that he ruled my 4.0. He never gave me another B, not because he thought I was better but because he didn't want to ruin my average... I never wanted to be a performer. I just wanted to pass my love of music on to other kids and to worship God that way.

The kids all must take an instrument until they graduate. ( Dh's rule, not mine. He played piano until he was a senior and we have 3 clarinets in our closet. I have records of his high school band with him playing solos! But he hasn't played since he played in the band his freshman year at Baylor.) The boys play piano. My daughter playes piano and violin. She is also in a community children's choir and does community theater occasionally.

So if you want, you can make it a part of your life. If you have a performance degree, you can perform in church orchestras. You could give private lessons to other homeschoolers or to adults who have always wanted to learn.

I LOVE MUSIC!!!!

Edited by choirfarm

I am an all or nothing type person. I just don't have the time to devote to music right now. I don't know if this is a season and I'll play again later or if I will find new interests.

Maryann, I think you've described my my dd#3, which is why I've posed this question. Her college goals are similar to your path, and she spent the past two summers in the Young Artists Orchestra at Tanglewood. That experience alone would have made her want to take a shot at an orchestral career (yeah, we know the odds for a flute player :glare:)!

I've always kind of wondered what would be next if an "all or nothing" type person followed this path. I guess only time will tell ;).

I LOVE MUSIC!!!!

This was our only goal when we began music lessons with our kids soooo many years ago. I think we were quite successful! I am hoping for all of my kids that their artistic interests evolve alongside the opportunities available. It will be interesting to see how their life choices play out.