Menu

Driving. Me. Nuts.

Instead of saying "yes" or "yeah," my dd17 has taken to saying "YEEEE-uh." I know it's a small thing that I should probably let go, but it drives. me. nuts. Every time she says it I want to scream. I mentioned to her once that I didn't like it, but she (of course) doesn't care.

Is this worth making an issue about? She says it 20 times a day or more. It's to the point where I don't want to talk to her because I can't stand it. She sounds like a braying donkey.

Tara

It's a phase. You could counter w/ an annoying phrase/word/sound of your own every time she does it, just to drive your point home to her about how annoying it is. That usually works around here. :D

Uh, I don't know if it's petty or not, :D, but this is what I'd do, too. I've got a couple teenagers that occupy my home sometimes, :tongue_smilie:, and I could TOTALLY see my dss doing this. And if I mentioned I didn't like it, he might decided to 'test' me by doing it MORE. So, you know, two can play at that game. :lol:

(If he REALLY wouldn't stop, I suppose I'd 'lay down the law', IYKWIM. But he really is a good boy, I don't think it'd come to that. I hope.)

A friend of mine used to carpool her teen-age daughter and her friends to soccer a great deal. They would listen to music with some questionable songs on the cd's. My friend hated the music but the teens would roll their eyes if she asked if they could change it. She solved it by learning the lyrics to the songs and making sure to belt out the more questionable ones loudly. Her daughter was mortified and the music was quickly changed. :)

Mine are still at a manageable age. Here, it's saying 'alsome' for aweome. Not sure why. I simply told her that she would use words properly in our household and to save the slang for her friends.

oops. I think that's ME in our house.

My kids are often pointing out my word of the week/month... like I had a student named Jessie and I called her Jess-ayyyyy or smelly becomes smell-ayyyyyyy.

I'm rather annoying.

But I don't care when people tell me to knock it off. I just can't promise I will remember 100% of the time.

need to decide it's the cool thing to do and look for any and all opportunities. Usually the "cool" things my kids adopt go out the door quickly when DH and I decide to imitate them. Nothing uncools it like parental use:)

:iagree:

Since my "cool quotient" is in the negative numbers, announcing that I am going to adopt whatever catch-phrase they are currently annoying me with is a pretty sure-fire way of eliminating it from common use!

Tara, friend, you know exactly why your little darling is doing this. :D. I would start to laugh each time she does it, or at least smile. Make sure it sounds or looks as genuine as possible. If she thinks you like it, she will stop. Even consider doing it yourself with a laugh, smile, or better yet, a high five. :D

need to decide it's the cool thing to do and look for any and all opportunities. Usually the "cool" things my kids adopt go out the door quickly when DH and I decide to imitate them. Nothing uncools it like parental use:)

:iagree: exactly. Use it as often as humanly possible. Two or three times in every conversation. Then come to us for help when she quits using it, but your stuck it. ;)

A friend of mine used to carpool her teen-age daughter and her friends to soccer a great deal. They would listen to music with some questionable songs on the cd's. My friend hated the music but the teens would roll their eyes if she asked if they could change it. She solved it by learning the lyrics to the songs and making sure to belt out the more questionable ones loudly. Her daughter was mortified and the music was quickly changed. :)

That is a fun way to deal with it...honestly though, I would never ask a group a teens in MY car if I could change a cd. I would just turn it off. ;) My kids start annoying slang but I tell them to pronounce words the right way, please. Repeat as necessary. I am not all business...we have a lot of fun...but I can' t handle some things. Annoying words and music are high on the list because I am very sound sensitive.

So I sat down with dd and told her about "Holla!" with the fake gang sign. She was appropriately horrified, so I told her I would make her a deal: if she will stop saying "YEEE-uh," I will not shout "HOLLA!" and throw fake gang signs in front of her friends. She agreed.

Thanks for all the advice!

:D

Tara

So I sat down with dd and told her about "Holla!" with the fake gang sign. She was appropriately horrified, so I told her I would make her a deal: if she will stop saying "YEEE-uh," I will not shout "HOLLA!" and throw fake gang signs in front of her friends. She agreed.

Tara

Glad to be helpful:lol:

Tara

Aaaaaand the Hive pulls through once again. :D

Where did she get that from anyway?

Probably from the kids at school. She's a junior at a local public high school, and I'll just say that we have been less than pleased with the speech patterns she has picked up. A friend of mine recently asked dd when she started talking "ghetto," and while dd was not very happy with that question it did validate to her what we have said about how she talks affecting the impression she makes.

Tara