Menu

How does your family celebrate New Year's Eve?

We don't have any standard things we do every year, but when we were kids, my sisters and I would make big bags of confetti and toss it all over the place at midnight. We had to help clean it up, but it was still fun.

One of my sisters is coming to stay over tonight with her family for our Christmas celebration with them, and we decided to let the kids make confetti, too. We may let them throw it a little early, because I'm not sure they'll all be able to stay up that late.

We do something different every hour from oo.. I dunno about 1pm onward.

Today {we're in Australia} we did:

1:30 -- Lunch out

2:30 - swimming

3:30 -- pick up grandparent to celebrate with & make homemade fudgesicles

4:30 -- make donuts

5:00 -- order pizza & play a board game

6:00 -- Movie {we went with Planet 51}

7:30 -- Wii time

8:30 -- Found new calendars & received devotionals for the new year

9:00 -- went to town to watch fireworks over the ocean

10:30 -- we rolled back the clocks, blew up giant party poppers, & lit sparklers. Kissed the kids and sent them to bed. :D

We vary things from time to time.. Sometimes we do resolutions, sometimes we don't. Sometimes we make our own pizza instead of ordering it, but we got in late from swimming. We sometimes go to a stone fruit farm and get stone fruit. Sometimes we all play a video game together. The idea is keeping the kids busy in an organized way until we roll in the New Year.

Our children have never stayed up until midnight and are none the wiser, not sure how much longer I can pull that off. They knew we went into town at 9 and wondered how when we got home it was all ready quarter to eleven. :lol: I told them there was a delay with the fireworks {totally true} and we stopped to watch the floating lanterns {totally true}, & dh stopped off to get a coke on the way home {also totally true}. :D

Wish I could help, but we aren't very fun here.

We get some rather snack-y, junky food and watch a good movie or just the tube.

My ds seems to want the ritual of eating the same carp every year--taquitos, those gross little weenies in bbq sauce, a veggie tray (redeeming grace), that sort of stuff. We don't drink so no champagne, but we might have some sparkling cider or gingerale. We do watch the ball drop. (One year, our first in Texas, we totally missed it b/c it was live from NYC, and it drops at 11pm Central Time! What a bummer!!)

We play games. Everyone puts the name of a game into a hat and we pick one out to play - play it - then head for another. It's fun. We also snack...

About 11:45pm we stop and get our sparkling cider and watch Times Square with the ball dropping.

Then we gather around our lit Christmas tree and go through all the memories we can think of from the past year.

It's a thoroughly enjoyable evening by all.

We haven't really done anything in past years. This year we are having a family campout in our family room. We plan on setting up a tent and air mattresses and watching a movie all together. We have a projector so we can make it a big screen event and we will have snacky food (pigs in blanket, nachos, fruit, ice cream sundaes). Then we plan on sleeping all together downstairs unless the kids are too crazy.

Wish I could help, but we aren't very fun here.

We get some rather snack-y, junky food and watch a good movie or just the tube.

My ds seems to want the ritual of eating the same carp every year--taquitos, those gross little weenies in bbq sauce, a veggie tray (redeeming grace), that sort of stuff. We don't drink so no champagne, but we might have some sparkling cider or gingerale. We do watch the ball drop. (One year, our first in Texas, we totally missed it b/c it was live from NYC, and it drops at 11pm Central Time! What a bummer!!)

I was thinking the same thing! We're pretty boring here too. We don't even watch the ball drop. :001_smile:

I'm lucky if I'm able to stay up to "ring" in the new year LOL....usually the fireworks wake me up....might let kiddo stay up later this year haven't decided-depends on his attitude today....we are usually homebodies-this year I want to watch a couple of movies maybe.....haven't really thought about it...have a 2-3 yr old bottle of proseco I'm determined to open this year...

My kids are almost 8, newly 5, and 21 months. The older two are sick with a pretty old run of the mill cold. The 21 month old is dealing w/ diarrhea following a fever a few days ago (which my dad and DS1 also had). He's feeling okay otherwise though thankfully. We were supposed to go to the ILs today (didn't see them for Christmas) but that was put on hold, especially since my toddler nephew was going to be there and we don't want to get him sick.

So we just rented Cars 2 from Redbox, and a movie for Dh and I for later. DH and I went out last night to belatedly celebrate our 10th anniversary. It was nice to have a night on the town while my parents babysat, and it will be nice to just relax tonight.

We'll probably have a nice dinner (DH just ran out to the market and I think is picking up steaks?). Some years we do fun things like an all appetizer type of dinner or fondue.

Today and tomorrow Dh and I will be working on our family mission statement (we've kind of been crafting one since last year but adjust it as needed) and focusing on some family goals and talking those over with the kids. DH is really good about initiating that type of thing :001_wub:

Hopefully the rest of the house won't contract the fever/diarrhea illness that DS1 and DS2 have had.

we play games with the kids...it's a board game marathon going on up in here :). We wear Happy New Year Hats & take our pictures & set out snacky foods & make gumbo (yum). After dark we let the boys go outside & do poppers & sparklers & snakes & such. There's usually a movie involved at some point, or dancing in the living room, & copious wine. We're LUCKY if we make it until midnight...we start early, so we tend to crash early too :).

Happy New Year y'all!