Menu

Planning Question

My DH has, on his own, decided that in order for me to homeschool successfully he will be taking the kids out of the house or, at least, occupy them completely for 2-3 hours every Saturday in order for me to plan, gather materials, and do whatever else I need. In addition, he thinks I'll need a full 6 hours every 6-8 weeks. :001_huh:

He seems to believe I'll need this starting with DS being in K. He knows a couple of guys at work whose wives homeschool, but I guess I'm curious.

Will I really need this time? It seems a bit much, but he's offering....

Oh, honey. Are you honestly asking for other moms to say that is TOO much time? :confused::D

Take the time! Use it! You will either need it for planning, scheduling, or for general downtime. Consider yourself blessed!!!!:hurray:

ETA: Your oldest child wouldn't be K age for several years, so I'm confused as to why this is even an issue. If your dh wants quality time alone with the kids, more power to him!

Edited by greenvneck

Enjoy the time! I would love it! Really take him up on it. Even if you find it is just a break enjoy it! Yeah a little over kill but don't question it. Thank him for being so supportive and considerate. And explain sometimes it might be used for things other than planning, but it will still be good for your mental health.

Enjoy the time! :D

Will you really need it?

Probably not.

But I do go out - alone - one Saturday a month, just to recharge my batteries. I treasure that time.

I seldom get time alone at home, which sounds wonderful! I can normally plan and organize with my student around, but it would be so much easier if I had that time alone.

Honestly - the one thing I really would like - time to sit and listen to the mp3 audios I have bought over the past few years. My student is in a summer camp for 15 hours. It is a long drive, so I just go to a library in that area and listen to as many as I can. It would be nice to have time throughout the year to listen to the audios and get inspired.

Oh, honey. Are you honestly asking for other moms to say that is TOO much time? :confused::D

Take the time! Use it! You will either need it for planning, scheduling, or for general downtime. Consider yourself blessed!!!!:hurray:

ETA: Your oldest child wouldn't be K age for several years, so I'm confused as to why this is even an issue. :confused: If your dh wants quality time alone with the kids, more power to him!

Not an issue really, it came up in the course of a conversation and I was curious. Sorry! :)

Not an issue really, it came up in the course of a conversation and I was curious. Sorry! :)

Ack, I'm sorry, what I typed came out wrong. That is AWESOME that he recognizes you need time to plan for the coming week/schedule/activities/etc. What I *should* have said was that your kids are sooo young, I would hate to see you get burnt out on making a schedule for them. There is time enough for that. Meanwhile, make some cookies, make some mudpies, and take the time to do something for YOU when your dh takes them out!!! :001_smile::grouphug:

Ack, I'm sorry, what I typed came out wrong. That is AWESOME that he recognizes you need time to plan for the coming week/schedule/activities/etc. What I *should* have said was that your kids are sooo young, I would hate to see you get burnt out on making a schedule for them. There is time enough for that. Meanwhile, make some cookies, make some mudpies, and take the time to do something for YOU when your dh takes them out!!! :001_smile::grouphug:

That makes sense. I'm nowhere near a schedule yet. I'm still in the, "Hey DS the baby is asleep, pull up a chair and we'll make cookies, play play dough, or cut and glue stuff." stage. :lol:

We were talking about the future and what was needed to educate a child in the home. He brought up planning and it went from there! :001_smile:

My husband takes the boys out most Saturday mornings or afternoons for a couple hours... I don't usually use the time to plan (though sometimes I do), but I often use it to catch up on other things that I am not able to get done during the school week (cleaning, balancing the checkbook, email correspondence, errands, etc). It is good for them to spend time with dad, and good for me to have some time alone! He did this even before the boys were school age, it has been a good routine for us for a long time.

Oh dear. I think you might need even a little more time than that so that you can take a nap...I mean, plan thoroughly.

:tongue_smilie:

Cat

P.S. I suppose I should give a serious answer, too. You probably won't need that much time to plan for kindergarten unless you're doing a lot of hands-on activities and need to gather materials. You'll probably need space to keep them handy if you're doing that. Otherwise, you can use the time hanging out on the forum...I mean, researching homeschooling methods and gathering ideas. Heh.

My DH has, on his own, decided that in order for me to homeschool successfully he will be taking the kids out of the house or, at least, occupy them completely for 2-3 hours every Saturday in order for me to plan, gather materials, and do whatever else I need. In addition, he thinks I'll need a full 6 hours every 6-8 weeks. :001_huh:

He seems to believe I'll need this starting with DS being in K. He knows a couple of guys at work whose wives homeschool, but I guess I'm curious.

Bless that man!! Take it and if you don't need it all take a long soak in the tub with a good book.

Dude even if you do not need that much time accept it! A long soak in a bubble bath every weekend with 20 minutes at the end to put things together for K soudns fabulous to me. Makes me think of that old rice crispy treats commercial where teh woman flings flour around to pretend she has been slaving away making them when in reality they took 10 minutes and then she sat and read a magazine. Be that woman ;) Ciome junior high or high school that time will be much needed but for now accept it and make it become the status quo while he is offering.

Wash your mouth out with soap, Girl!

Yes you need it. If you don't need it to plan, you need it to study, to be able to mop the floor and have it dry before anyone walks on it, to work on hand made Christmas presents, to go for a walk where you can actually walk at your own pace- standing up straight instead of slouched over a pram. (Oops. This wasn't about me, was it? :lol:)

I see the ages of your kids, they're about the same as mine. I need dh to take the kids out on the weekends too! But they also need the Dad time, and he needs the kid time. It's very healthy for everyone. :D

Rosie

Never say no to time off.

That said, the biggest mistake I have made with homeschooling has been failing to spend adequate time planning. I think it's worth getting into the habit early. As time goes on you will need time for marking or reading ahead of your dc. For now, use any time over-and-above what you need for general homeschool reading. If you set the habit now, it will be easier to manage later.

Incidently, years ago I read of a WTM homeschool Mom who went away annually to a hotel for a weekend to do her planning. After talking about what a brilliant idea it was for literally years, I finally did it. A fellow WTMer and I went away in November to plan for our 2012 homeschooling. There was perhaps more coffee, wine, discussions and food than planning but it was defitely a lot of fun!