Menu

Online courses -- where?

Ds has taken 5 online classes, but I would only recommend 2:

• Physics with Derek Owens - see review here
  • HS Composition with Laurel Tree Tutorials - no review yet, but see this thread. I've been pleased so far, but I must admit that ds does not spend as much time on the class as I expected. I really oughtn't count it as a full credit for English, which was my intention.

Ds has taken 5 online classes, but I would only recommend 2:

• Physics with Derek Owens - see review here

• HS Composition with Laurel Tree Tutorials - no review yet, but see this thread. I've been pleased so far, but I must admit that ds does not spend as much time on the class as I expected. I really oughtn't count it as a full credit for English, which was my intention.

Sue, which ones don't you recommend and why? That can be as useful as ones that work. ;)

Sue, which ones don't you recommend and why? That can be as useful as ones that work. ;)

The other 3 were okay, but I just did not feel that they were worth the cost. They are:

• Java at Potter's School - review here.

• Exercise Physiology & Sports Medicine at Landry Academy - we had a rocky start and the teacher changed after 5 classes. I haven't written a review yet as the class just ended in December. I'm not even sure how to put into words how I felt about this class.

• History at Our House ( ;) dare I mention the controversial program?) - while I liked it for junior high, the lack of class notes at the high school level bothered me. Also, the fact that the only way to have the tests graded is to pay $150/mo for live daily classes whether or not you can attend live daily classes, makes this cost prohibitive. I might be able to grade the tests myself, but that would mean putting an enormous amount of work into the class myself. For more information, see this thread. You'll have to let me know what you decide when you hit high school. :bigear:

HTH!

Edited by Sue in St Pete

Potter's School -- overall very happy. Quality varies with teacher and teacher's experience, of course -- easy to get recommendations, as many people on these boards take classes at TPS. English (Writer's Workshop to English 3) has been great; biology so-so; computer classes (Logo, Web Design, and Python) good to great.

Scholars Online -- only took summer enrichment classes. My son loved their Tolkien class. (This is the "original" Scholars Online, not the classes by the same name run by Veritas Press.)

Oklahoma State -- German. Very happy ... with some tweaking. (ALL online classes, of course, have limitations.)

Derek Owens -- physics. Very happy. (My husband is a physicist, so he runs the labs & answers questions. Without a live-in tutor, I think it would still be a good class.)

Derek Otieno -- computer science. Ecstatic.

Adam Andrews (Teaching the Classics) -- online lit discussion. Very happy.

Pennsylvania Homeschoolers -- very happy. Again, look for "good" teachers.

I've heard good things about Lukeion, Lone Pine Latin, Captive Thought, Blue Tent English (Brigid on these boards), IEW's online classes, Memoria Press (have heard mixed reviews) ...

There must be others ... if I think of them, I'll add them.

ETA: Oh, duh, Art of Problem Solving. Very happy, if (as with Scholars Online) you don't mind the text-only format for live classes. Also, they go at a break-neck pace!

Edited by Laura in CA

[quote name='Sue in St Pete;3458423

[*]History at Our House ( ;) dare I mention the controversial program?) - while I liked it for junior high' date=' the lack of class notes at the high school level bothered me. Also, the fact that the only way to have the tests graded is to pay $150/mo for live daily classes whether or not you can attend live daily classes, makes this cost prohibitive. I might be able to grade the tests myself, but that would mean putting an enormous amount of work into the class myself. For more information, see this thread. You'll have to let me know what you decide when you hit high school. :bigear:

HTH!

LOL! I wonder if someone's radar is going off! :D

That's too bad, but good to hear. I am in our first year of JH classes, and am still very happy...I hope that it works out for us to continue (as I like the idea of having a continuous teacher for so many years) but I am always open to changes.

DS13 has taken an intensive grammar course (The Barbarian Diagrammarian) and several history workshops with Lukeion, and is currently taking Greek I (Athenaze). I cannot recommend them highly enough! Regan Barr is a wonderful teacher, the lectures are very visual and engaging, and there are tons of additional online exercises and resources. DS plans to take their Classical Literature class next year, and he'll continue with them through Greek IV. DD9 will take Latin with Lukeion in a couple of years.

Jackie

How do we find the computer science classes with Derek Otieno?

I heard about them years ago on this board, and got helpful info from Sue in St Pete (thanks! :001_smile:).

He is in Atlanta, so Eastern time zone. Here's his email: dotieno AT bellsouth DOT net

Laura, Would you share what grade your ds took AP CS (A or AB?) with Derek Otieno and how he did on the exam?

Sure! My son was in 9th grade last year, and took AP CS A, and got a 5 on the exam.

Derek does have a website, but it is kept up by one of his students and isn't always up to date:

http://www.acit.us.com/l00l/

If you have any more questions please ask! Derek has taught my son an incredible amount :001_smile:

Edited by Laura in CA

DD started with these when she was age 16--

Clovis Community College, Clovis NM -$125 for 6 credit hours, per semester (basically works out to 2 classes, each 3 college credit hours). This is a regionally accredited college and our dd not only earned high school dual-enrollment credit but college credit simultaneously. Every professor she had was thorough, conscientious, and organized. They are used to dealing with military personnel who are stationed overseas and trying to earn a degree, so they know how to administrate online courses. http://www.clovis.edu/Type3.asp?pageid=spring

University of Idaho -- $200 for each 3 credit hour course (again, dd earned high school credit at the same time as college credit). These are "independent study distance courses" inasmuch as a textbook is used, but all of dd's instructors requested she email her work to them, so it turned out to be the same as online courses. Again, a regionally accredited institution. http://www.uiweb.uidaho.edu/isi/. They have a fantastic Latin and Greek language course that really taught dd a lot!

BTW, using just these two sources alone, dd earned 21 college credit hours which were fully accepted into our Florida state university system.

Edited by distancia

LiveOnlineMath with John Bovey has been a success here, too. DD's geometry class meets for an hour 3X/week. I have been completely "hands-off" for this class, which suits both dd and me.:)

Love, love, love Melodee Mattson's Captive Thoughts Tutorials for literature. Melodee's passion for literature and teaching make this class my dd's favorite.

We like Laurel Tree for composition, too. Clear instructions and excellent feedback. I added a lit study for dd#1 last year to make it a full English credit.

OSU German and Spanish have both gone over well here. Senora Klopp spends 30-60 minutes tutoring/speaking with dd#2 every week. We wish there was more conversational practice for German, but dd#1 is able to practice with her German piano teacher, and she regularly emails a friend in Germany. I've seen mixed reviews for OSU German on these boards, and I think it is a class better suited to a very motivated student. Dd does a lot of extra practice on her own, including reading German books and magazines and visiting German websites.

I've also been impressed with the quality of ds's Veritas Press Latin class. I'd like him to switch to Lukeion if he continues with Latin, but I didn't feel he was ready for the intensity of it this year(he's a 7th grader). He is learning more in his VP "Transitions" class than I did in my first semester Latin class at college, although VP funnels you into Latin I after this class. I also really like that it meets for an hour and a half, 2X per week.

Landry Biology was dd#1's favorite at the start of the year, but her excitement has waned. I have no complaints about the administration-expectations have been clear, I believe the material is appropriate, grading is fair, and the teacher is responsive. It just hasn't generated the same enthusiasm in dd that her lit class has inspired. All in all, I would say Landry has been a positive experience, and it gets the job done.

Through whom do your high schoolers take online courses? I've seen Keystone mentioned here. I know MIT has the open courseware. What else is out there? We're not looking for full-time enrollment, but perhaps a class or two per year.

I have two kids taking German through Oklahoma State Uni. I tend to be hyper critical of how much they are learning, but then have to remind myself of how little I really knew after one semester of a language. :D We are planning on sticking with German. Possibly with OSU, possibly going to Goethe Institute courses to prep for a Zertifikat Deutsch exam instead of an AP test. (OSU does have a discount rate for homeschoolers. And be aware that both German 1 and AP level were full by around mid August this year.)

Back in the day, I took a paper and email based correspondence course with University of Oklahoma for Physical Geography. I thought it was a great course. I would love for my kids to take something similar. That was an undergrad course.

ETA: I should add that unfortunately University of Oklahoma no longer does the high school level courses that it used to offer. It still has some general intro undergraduate level offerings (ex. Astronomy).

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

A couple of other choices that have not been mentioned in this thread:

- Alexandria Tutorials was very good. Dd took his Church History class and really enjoyed it.

- The Potter's School AP Psych--meh.

- Her very favorites were the online Torrey Academy courses from Biola's youth division, "The Inklings" and "Foundations of American Thought." These were fantastic courses, and she was well-served taking them. She took each of these as three-credit courses, basically covering English, history/philosophy/gov't (depending on the year), and a half-credit of Bible/Christian thought. She took math, science, several electives, and dual art courses alongside them.

When she applied for the honors programs at one of the colleges she was interested in, they waived her second essay competition--you could have knocked us over with a feather when we got the news. We credit God's opening doors for her, the depth of her studies in the Torrey program (that is why this story is in this post), and the local university's dual credit hours.

Edited by Valerie(TX)

LiveOnlineMath with John Bovey has been a success here, too. DD's geometry class meets for an hour 3X/week. I have been completely "hands-off" for this class, which suits both dd and me.:)

Wow! I'm going to check into this! My kids need more than 1 session of math, even with an additional session of practice and questions, per week.

I would like to know if anyone has experience with Red Wagon Tutorials, in particular for Honors Chemistry.

Thanks in advance!

My son is signed up for Chemistry next year. Wish I could help you now!

We've done RWT recorded classes for General Science and Physical Science. They seem rigorous and interesting, but we haven't done any other online science classes.

My son is signed up for Chemistry next year. Wish I could help you now!

We've done RWT recorded classes for General Science and Physical Science. They seem rigorous and interesting, but we haven't done any other online science classes.

It looks like the online class is full anyhow; can you explain how the recorded courses work?

It looks like the online class is full anyhow; can you explain how the recorded courses work?

If you are interested, I'd email Professor Rosenoff. The class registered full on the website when I registered my son. He said he had a spot for him.

This is my experience with the two classes we purchased. The recordings are of actual online classes from a previous year. He also gives fill-in-the-blank notes (with and without answers) for each lecture. There are two lectures for each module. He provides a sample schedule, sample experiment reports, tests for each module, and quarterly and semester exams. All the grading is done by the parent. All these materials can be used again with future students.

We may be going this route with Biology next year, though I prefer to find a class. I haven't decided yet. My 13yo says he is open to either. It is nice to do the recorded classes and follow whatever schedule fits our family.

If you are interested, I'd email Professor Rosenoff. The class registered full on the website when I registered my son. He said he had a spot for him.

This is my experience with the two classes we purchased. The recordings are of actual online classes from a previous year. He also gives fill-in-the-blank notes (with and without answers) for each lecture. There are two lectures for each module. He provides a sample schedule, sample experiment reports, tests for each module, and quarterly and semester exams. All the grading is done by the parent. All these materials can be used again with future students.

We may be going this route with Biology next year, though I prefer to find a class. I haven't decided yet. My 13yo says he is open to either. It is nice to do the recorded classes and follow whatever schedule fits our family.

Thank you, Maryann. I either want to sign up for Red Wagon or use a program with Dive DVDs. I'm not looking for an AP course that will dominate the year - just a good solid course, honors if possible.

I thought of a few more ...

Johns Hopkins JHU CTY has online classes

Stanford EPGY

(these require SAT etc. scores of a certain level)

I've heard good things about the Patrick Henry College (PHC) AP classes.

Also, Debra Bell has AP and pre-AP classes.

Edited by Laura in CA
thought of more ...

Can you elaborate on why you prefer RWT tests to Apologia's tests? We just started using Red Wagon Tutorials so I'd be interested in input from a seasoned user. Thanks!

The tests have more questions.

They have a variety of matching, true/false, multiple choice, and short essay questions.

I also use them because I figure they go along more with the information taught in the lectures.