Menu

note to self-stay away from college confidential

Ok.. I just need to stay away from that place. Honestly, if you have any brains at all you should go to UT or Rice. REALLY??? UT Austin is SO huge. He would not be wasting his educational potential by going to TCU or Baylor. They are fine schools... Good grief...

That is all. Thank you for listening to my rant.

Personally, I'd be THRILLED if my kids went to either Baylor or TCU! Both are very good schools! (DH is a Baylor alumnus.) Oh, and I agree with you about the size of UT main campus. My kids would completely flounder at a place that large, no matter how good a school it is!

I'm an 89 Baylor grad and dh is 87.

One just needs to realize who's on college confidential and take any advice accordingly. The majority of posts are from students (or parents) in gung ho private or public schools who feel the need to have prestige. It's their socio-economic class I suppose. That's not the majority of people out there. It's a very small cross section.

As I've stated before, I work at a subpar public high school (but close to average nationally) where the majority of kids get a subpar education IMO. Yet almost half make it in to college and many get some sort of merit aid with scores as low as 1500 (all three sections) on the SAT. Our college bound average is lower than that. These kids aren't making it into Ivy league schools, but the schools they are going to provide them with the knowledge needed to make a living.

That's what I consider the "low level" college future (local success generally heading toward local jobs). There are plenty of opportunities higher than that without even touching the halls of perceived prestige. With my high stat middle son, we chose to apply to places that were best for him - not necessarily best according to college confidential posters. He's happy with his choices and I'm confident he can have any future he wants from where he's going.

Sometimes even on here I think people have this idea that they need all sorts of "stuff" to have college success. They're letting the bar be set by college confidential when, in reality, for the vast majority of people, that's not the "needed" bar.

See where your guy wants to go and enjoy the ride!

I just went there and saw your thread. I wouldn't worry at all about his comment. It's his opinion, but certainly not necessarily everyone would agree. Again, consider the source.

At Baylor his education would be nearly free if he gets NMF. Was his score in contention? I don't remember. His ACT score qualifies him for 15K in merit aid. I don't know about TCU.

To see which you think would be better, ask each school where recent grads have been employed. It's a better source.

I just tossed an answer on there for you too. No sense letting perceived prestige being the only thing on there. ;)

Edited by creekland

It's also good therapy for those who suffer from low blood pressure. :tongue_smilie:

Heh. So true. They know it' date=' too. There's a thread where some poor girl asks about her extracurriculars and gets shot down quickly. One of the posts then reads, "Aaaaand this is why people hate [College Confidential']."

I agree that it can be a tremendously useful resource, but I've discouraged my son from spending time there. Nobody needs to hear that if you don't have perfect stats, you're a loser and if you do, you're a lifeless tool and colleges won't want you.

I agree that it can be a tremendously useful resource, but I've discouraged my son from spending time there. Nobody needs to hear that if you don't have perfect stats, you're a loser and if you do, you're a lifeless tool and colleges won't want you.

I rarely have my kids read it and then it's only certain threads or private messages. They could go there without me, of course, but they're too busy on their own sites (usually chess) when they get unfettered internet time.

I wouldn't want my kids to feel the pressure from kids there. It's not healthy. I want them to be themselves.

I wouldn't want my kids to feel the pressure from kids there. It's not healthy. I want them to be themselves.

That was my feeling when I started reading there.

We have decided that we do not want to examine every activity during the high school years under the microscope of "how will it look on the college application?". We have decided that we want our kids to live these years for their own sake, not as a waiting stage for something that may come - or not.

My DD is extremely ambitious and perfectionist. I do not need to put more pressure on her than she already puts on herself .

Edited by regentrude

My DD is extremely ambitious and perfectionist. I do not need to put more pressure on her than she already puts on herself.

Yep... The self-motivated types put enough stress on themselves. I agree that we want ours to do extra curriculars they want to just because they want to - not due to any future applications.

My oldest and youngest are totally different students than middle son, but none of them need to be in the frenzy of college confidential on a regular basis.

Edited by creekland

Ok.. I just need to stay away from that place. Honestly, if you have any brains at all you should go to UT or Rice. REALLY??? UT Austin is SO huge. He would not be wasting his educational potential by going to TCU or Baylor. They are fine schools... Good grief...

That is all. Thank you for listening to my rant.

OMG! I am so sorry that was said to you. Goodness. But I have come to the same conclusion about CC. I applaud you for sticking to your guns and really trying to examine schools that are the best fit for your son.

It's also good therapy for those who suffer from low blood pressure. :tongue_smilie:

I remembered I had signed up a long time ago. I was not ready then. I've been reading over there for a hour. I feel like I'm back home here though. Some of those threads are OLD and LONG. I read a few that started in 2005!!

I just went there and saw your thread. I wouldn't worry at all about his comment. It's his opinion, but certainly not necessarily everyone would agree. Again, consider the source.

At Baylor his education would be nearly free if he gets NMF. Was his score in contention? I don't remember. His ACT score qualifies him for 15K in merit aid. I don't know about TCU.

To see which you think would be better, ask each school where recent grads have been employed. It's a better source.

I just tossed an answer on there for you too. No sense letting perceived prestige being the only thing on there. ;)

Grin. Thanks Creekland. Yes, I told dh that he would get half of tuition with his ACT score. He got a 209 on the PSAT, so no semifinalist. Now Baylor gave me money for being commended, but that was before they gave you money for your ACT/SAT score. They will also match any scholarships that your church gives. Our church has a lot of money for scholarships. However, I am going to make sure and see who applies for it. We do have money saved, so I would rather someone who needs it more gets it. HOWEVER, as of right now there are only 3 or 4 juniors in the youth group. 2 are not really active and only come occasionally. 1 is another doctor's kid. But sometimes no one applies... So if the money is just going to sit there... I'll ask the youth director when it is time to apply.

He will ask about jobs. Thanks!

I stopped going to College Confidential because it seemed to me that most of the advice getting tossed around was from people who had NO idea what they were talking about. The students there haven't been through the process yet, but they're all too happy to share what they think they know.

Most of what goes on at CC is students trying to convince themselves that they did the right thing (by insisting others do it too), or hoping to knock down the competition with a few badly aimed barbs.

Anyone with reasonable advice gets shouted down and leaves.

That was my feeling when I started reading there.

We have decided that we do not want to examine every activity during the high school years under the microscope of "how will it look on the college application?". We have decided that we want our kids to live these years for their own sake, not as a waiting stage for something that may come -

Quite a number of years ago, my kids and I developed the slogan "Keep it Real". Meaning, if they want to do something, they should ask if it is something they REALLY want to do, or is it just something they are doing b/c of peer pressure or college app considerations. I don't like my kids wasting their time on things that they do not want to do.

Most of what goes on at CC is students trying to convince themselves that they did the right thing (by insisting others do it too), or hoping to knock down the competition with a few badly aimed barbs.

Anyone with reasonable advice gets shouted down and leaves.

This was my experience as well. In addition, I found some of the parents to be extremely competitive and snarky.

While I was investigating whether it would be a mistake to have my son take Organic Chemistry at our local cc since he may want to go on to medical school, I had another parent on CC tell me that I needed to stop being a pushy parent and let my son enjoy his summer and work on his social skills.:001_huh:

This was my experience as well. In addition, I found some of the parents to be extremely competitive and snarky.

While I was investigating whether it would be a mistake to have my son take Organic Chemistry at our local cc since he may want to go on to medical school, I had another parent on CC tell me that I needed to stop being a pushy parent and let my son enjoy his summer and work on his social skills.:001_huh:

That's due to the homeschooling aspect. All of us homeschooling parents are pushy and none of our kids have social skills... didn't you know that? ;)

I prefer this board to cc, but I still say there can be important info there on certain boards. Others I don't read at all.