Menu

Are there Accredited High School Programs that allow you to choose curriculums?

We're using NARHS (North Atlantic Regional High Schools) this coming year:

Use YOUR materials in YOUR way and still earn high school credits towards a real high school diploma.

Students who have earned the necessary 17-1/2 high school credits (from whatever sources), are eligible to graduate from a real Maine high school with a real high school diploma! No residency required. NO EXIT EXAMS required in Maine.

NARS brings all academic pieces together -- wherever they were earned -- making them all count towards your high school diploma from our state-authorized, state-recognized, fully accredited private school.

http://www.narhs.org/

Doesn't Clonlara do this as well? I have been looking at their site - it seems that you do your own thing, and they work as a "cover" school and record-keeper. They will issue a transcript and diploma, making you "official."

Has anyone used Clonlara?

(Sorry not an answer for you, just another question really. But check out their site and see what you think. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will come along to post about this.)

Lynn

for highschool homeschool work completed prior to enrollment with Sycamore unless it is from another program. Here's a quote from their Q & A's Are there enrollment requirements for high school?

"We accept high school students only at the beginning of a semester with the exception of the online school. Online classes may be started at any time. For students enrolling in our high school program, you must either begin in the 9th grade or transfer from another school in order to receive a diploma from us. We cannot give credit for classes taken in homeschool unless they are backed by another program."

I am wondering because ds will be senior next year. If he needs a cover school we would need the cover school to cover the past three years. Most of that has been: 9th gr - full time parochial school; 10th & 11th: AP thru PA Homeschoolers & University + CC courses. But math and english done at home for 10th & 11th; Would Chemistry through nonaccredited Potter's School be accepted or should it be covered? Geesh! I am also wondering if Clonora and Indiana U (high school program) could cover for the previous 3 years and if they are NCAA recognized. I would think Indiana would be, but who knows.

I am also wondering if Clonora and Indiana U (high school program) could cover for the previous 3 years and if they are NCAA recognized. I would think Indiana would be, but who knows.

I don't know about Clonora but IUHS is NCAA recognized, according to their website. http://scs.indiana.edu/hs/highschoolcourses.php

It should be possible to do 3 years of high school in homeschool and then transfer it to IUHS, but you have to keep VERY detailed portfolios to submit (and I think you pay $7 per portfolio to be evaluated). However, once in IUHS you wouldn't really be able to choose your own courses (although they only have a 5 credit residency requirement).

My oldest will be 8 next month, so I've got a lot of time left to plan (and we're probably not going to graduate him until he's almost 19, he's got maturity issues and was failing public school 2nd grade), but I'm sort of hoping the kids all choose to go to IU, so IUHS would be quite handy and would make STBX-H feel a lot better about my homeschooling.

I hadn't thought about residency requirement. We are in New England, completely out of the region. Would U of Indiana be able to give accredited to a homeschooled student from out of state transferring credits for 9th through 11th???

I hadn't thought about residency requirement. We are in New England, completely out of the region. Would U of Indiana be able to give accredited to a homeschooled student from out of state transferring credits for 9th through 11th???

No residency requirement, you'd certainly be able to submit portfolios. I've not talked to anyone about submitting portfolios, so I'm not sure how tough they are. If you go to the link I used above, you can go to the Courses FAQ along the top of the page and it will answer many questions. You can also go to the high school courses link along the side and once there you should be able to download the catalog, which explains much more. As I mentioned, neither I nor my children have taken any of their courses, but I've heard nothing but good things about IUHS.

Missy