Menu

What do you think this guy was getting at?

An old friend was visiting tonight with her new husband of 3 years. (She was a widow when they married) At supper, the husband says, "Do you know that in 2 Timothy 3:16 it says there is no truth in the Koran, the Book of Mormons, the catechism and the WatchTower-Jehovah's Witness material? I'll show it to you after supper." I'm thinking-We know you don't mean all that literally, so what are you getting at?? As a Catholic, the catechism part made me pause especially. And from what I've seen of the Watchtower magazine-that's more of an educational pamphlet-hardly comparable to the Koran or Book of Mormons in it's purpose.

Then he went on to tell us how he grew up Catholic, his family is still Catholic, (he's Baptist) and something about a Bible study his mom attended. Then we were interrupted by kids and it got dropped. I was hoping it would be dropped for good.

Right as they were leaving, he reminded us of the verse. Speaking in the direction of my husband the whole time, he started to explain how things get lost in translation. "Petra meaning 'rock', but petro means 'mountain range' for example." His wife was trying to get out the door and he finally just followed her and never got around to his point.

I am guessing he was maybe trying to tell us the catechism is not a justifiable means of God's word or something? But why would anyone think it could replace the Bible anyway? Was he trying to tell us we Catholics have it wrong? I don't know. Any guesses?

Edited by Jeanne in MN

Do you know that in 2 Timothy 3:12 it says there is no truth in the Koran, the Book of Mormons, the catechism and the WatchTower-Jehovah's Witness material? I'll show it to you after supper." I'm thinking-We know you don't mean all that literally, so what are you getting at??

KJV

2Tim 3:12

Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution

Nope I have no clue - maybe he quoted the wrong scripture.

Ooops! It's 2 Timothy 3:16 not vs. 12.

An old friend was visiting tonight with her new husband of 3 years. (She was a widow when they married) At supper, the husband says, "Do you know that in 2 Timothy 3:12 it says there is no truth in the Koran, the Book of Mormons, the catechism and the WatchTower-Jehovah's Witness material? I'll show it to you after supper." I'm thinking-We know you don't mean all that literally, so what are you getting at?? As a Catholic, the catechism part made me pause especially. And from what I've seen of the Watchtower magazine-that's more of an educational pamphlet-hardly comparable to the Koran or Book of Mormons in it's purpose.

Then he went on to tell us how he grew up Catholic, his family is still Catholic, (he's Baptist) and something about a Bible study his mom attended. Then we were interrupted by kids and it got dropped. I was hoping it would be dropped for good.

Right as they were leaving, he reminded us of the verse. Speaking in the direction of my husband the whole time, he started to explain how things get lost in translation. "Petra meaning 'rock', but petro means 'mountain range' for example." His wife was trying to get out the door and he finally just followed her and never got around to his point.

I am guessing he was maybe trying to tell us the catechism is not a justifiable means of God's word or something? But why would anyone think it could replace the Bible anyway? Was he trying to tell us we Catholics have it wrong? I don't know. Any guesses?

OH. That's the one that says all scripture (meaning the KJV in his hand, probably, in English) is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, instruction, etc. that the man of God may be perfect (or complete) thoroughly equipped to all good work.

So that proves the Bible (again, his version) is the only authorized Holy book from God and everything that anyone needs for salvation is found in it alone.

Which sweeps away the Catholic Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Koran, and the Message Bible.

Very, very rude thing to say to old friends of your new wife when you don't know if they even share your beliefs or care to discuss religion. No boundaries, no manners, no tact.

KJV

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

I don't see how this proves that the other religions are wrong :confused: LDS beliefs absolutely accept this as true -but it all depends whether you accept that the Book Of Mormon was inspired of God -which obviously your friend doesn't :)

Ooops! It's 2 Timothy 3:16 not vs. 12.

2 Timothy 3:16

English Standard Version (ESV)

16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

Quite a leap from this to what he was saying. I don't get it.

It's the "thoroughly equipped" part, sewingmama. If you have been thoroughly equipped with that scripture you are wrong to give any weight to other scripture.

I learned this in the church of Christ, and some other denominations teach it, too. It is one of the go-to verses to prove that Mormons and Catholics are not Christians.

(I'm sorry, but it's not a pretty idea so I don't know a pretty way to say it.)

Sorry, I lumped those two verses together in mind because I was raised by people like that man's ilk. You're right, the 'thoroughly equipped' part is verse 17, the second half of the sentence. I'm sure if he said 3:16 he was including the rest of the sentence.

17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.