Menu

Moving to Florida...

...what do I need to know?! We're currently in AR/OK area and don't really have requirements and such. Also, I'd like to know about groups to get involved with and HSLDA site wasn't helpful. We'll be somewhat near Orlando...maybe Minniola area in Lake Co. I grew up in Florida but it's been years since I was there. Lots of family there, but no homeschoolers.

Here is the official FL hs'ing website. And here is how to get started.

We had hs'ed in TX and MO before moving to FL. I was irritated that I had to notify the school district and do an annual evaluation. But, it's no big deal, really. FL is fairly hs friendly. The schools (at least around here) are fairly hs friendly. Ds has played basketball through the public school since 7th grade. He's taking 2 classes at the HS this year (not my choice, btw).

HTH!

There's tons of us here in FL! Welcome!

Awesome!! That's great :)

Here is the official FL hs'ing website. And here is how to get started.

We had hs'ed in TX and MO before moving to FL. I was irritated that I had to notify the school district and do an annual evaluation. But, it's no big deal, really. FL is fairly hs friendly. The schools (at least around here) are fairly hs friendly. Ds has played basketball through the public school since 7th grade. He's taking 2 classes at the HS this year (not my choice, btw).

HTH!

That's great news! I was looking at the reporting options and was a bit overwhelmed. Keeping a portfolio and such should be easy enough since we use Heart of Dakota (notebooking should cover us well!), and my aunt (ex-aunt?:confused:) has agreed to evaluate for us each year. :) My oldest is still young...she will be 11 for the new school year there...do they let all grades take extracurriculars at the public schools? Like art or music or band or pe?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest peterwyman

I am moving to florida as well and got lot of information on homescholinginflorida.com

Would like to hear from you if you have already join some.

I found the FPEA stuff helpful when we first started homeschooling in Florida, too. However, it may be worth mentioning that there is nothing "official" about their website. The FPEA is a membership organization, not any kind of governmental agency.

Our county's public schools have information on their website with information about the state statutes: https://www.ocps.net/cs/services/options/schoolchoice/homeeducation/Pages/default.aspx

We're in Orlando, by the way, and the link there is for the Orange County district.

I've also found good information, including a list of support groups, here: http://lifeofflorida.blogspot.com/

Welcome to Florida!

I found the FPEA stuff helpful when we first started homeschooling in Florida, too. However, it may be worth mentioning that there is nothing "official" about their website. The FPEA is a membership organization, not any kind of governmental agency.

Our county's public schools have information on their website with information about the state statutes: https://www.ocps.net/cs/services/options/schoolchoice/homeeducation/Pages/default.aspx

We're in Orlando, by the way, and the link there is for the Orange County district.

I've also found good information, including a list of support groups, here: http://lifeofflorida.blogspot.com/

Welcome to Florida!

Thanks!

I'm moving close to you! Probably near Clermont or Mascott or Minniola...somewhere around there.

Florida is really easy. You just have to do the eval mentioned above, or you can submit standardized test results. Many homeschool groups in Florida set up their own testing for this purpose. The results come to you, so you can then decide whether to submit those or do the eval. It's really not a big deal. There is the convention over Memorial Day weekend and it is awesome. That would be the FPEA convention. The public schools will let you participate in extra curriculars, as will most private schools. It will cost $$ to participate with the private schools.

I am a Florida native. Dh was active military and is now a Department of Defense civilian, so we have moved quite a bit. I homeschooled in Florida several years. I have now homeschooled in five states and three countries, and hope to move back to Florida soon. :)

Florida is really easy. You just have to do the eval mentioned above, or you can submit standardized test results. Many homeschool groups in Florida set up their own testing for this purpose. The results come to you, so you can then decide whether to submit those or do the eval. It's really not a big deal. There is the convention over Memorial Day weekend and it is awesome. That would be the FPEA convention. The public schools will let you participate in extra curriculars, as will most private schools. It will cost $$ to participate with the private schools.

I am a Florida native. Dh was active military and is now a Department of Defense civilian, so we have moved quite a bit. I homeschooled in Florida several years. I have now homeschooled in five states and three countries, and hope to move back to Florida soon. :)

That's the convention Heart of Dakota will be at...yay!!! :D We are moving mid-Feb for sure now...

http://alternativeeducationinstitute.org/

I'm a Florida native living in KY at the moment. We homeschooled in Florida under AEI for 5 years before our move to KY. Florida is a super homeschool friendly state. You have an option of portfolio review or testing AND you can choose to go with another option like the link I've sent. Hope this helps. I loved AEI and the freedom it offered.

God bless you and your family.

• 2 months later...