Menu

Handsful or Handfuls?

handsful or handfuls  

6 members have voted

1. 1. handsful or handfuls

• handsful
    • handfulls
    • neither/other

I thought to make handful plural, it became handsful, but my spell checker is hating that. Were I on a game show, I would have hit the buzzer for handsful, but now I don't know. What do you think?

ETA - there should only be one l in the "handfuls" in the poll (I think - at least I thought so...) :rolleyes:.

Edited by LauraGB

If I have a lot of things to do, I have my hands full.

If I'm swimming in something, I have handfuls--enough for many hands. It's the "full" that is plural, not necessarily the hand.

If I think about this any more, my head will hurt!

That's what is throwing me off, though. If I am grabbing more than one handful or lettuce or m&ms or something, I will grab a few...hands ful - in which case, it isn't the "full" that's plural, it's my hands (as in how many I am using to grab lots of stuff).

My head hurts, too - the word doesn't even look right anymore no matter how it's spelled! And it's beginning to sound stupid, too. :lol:

That's what is throwing me off, though. If I am grabbing more than one handful or lettuce or m&ms or something, I will grab a few...hands ful - in which case, it isn't the "full" that's plural, it's my hands (as in how many I am using to grab lots of stuff).

My head hurts, too - the word doesn't even look right anymore no matter how it's spelled! And it's beginning to sound stupid, too. :lol:

Handfuls is plural. If I have 7 handfuls it would take 7 hands to carry the items.

• 9 years later...