Menu

We Bought a Zoo

In the movie, a main point is that it only takes 20 seconds of courage.....so here it goes....

It was an awesome movie with an awesome message. I loved it and what it had to say about death and family and taking chances and living life as an adventure and loving each other.

And if it has a few swears in it, well, gosh darn it that's okay with me. Life isn't censored and that was such a small part of such a good message that I'm glad I took my boys to see it. They loved it.

**running and ducking for cover****

I think my 20 seconds is up.....

I'm glad that you liked it.

The swearing is an issue for me because the child who wants to see it the most is my four-year-old. He is a sponge, so it won't work for us.

To each his own, but I'm glad it was an enjoyable event for your family.

Edited by Myeightkiddies
Replaced that with who because my migraine-infested brain isn't fully functioning.

In the movie, a main point is that it only takes 20 seconds of courage.....so here it goes....

It was an awesome movie with an awesome message. I loved it and what it had to say about death and family and taking chances and living life as an adventure and loving each other.

And if it has a few swears in it, well, gosh darn it that's okay with me. Life isn't censored and that was such a small part of such a good message that I'm glad I took my boys to see it. They loved it.

I'm taking the kids to see this next week. Thanks for the review:001_smile:

Lisa

Good to know! Thank you! This one looks like a movie our entire family will go and see.

:iagree::iagree:

I actually don't care about "foul" language. I don't care about any language. I'll explain to my kids when and where it's appropriate to repeat those words and be done with it.

Whew! I'm so glad I didn't get flamed (yet)! Words are just words for our family. There is an appropriate time and place for them sometimes. My kids know not to repeat them and have for years. I've relaxed a lot since I had littles.

No flames! :)

Only agreement. I love the message and I haven't even seen the darn thing yet.

Whew! I'm so glad I didn't get flamed (yet)! Words are just words for our family. There is an appropriate time and place for them sometimes. My kids know not to repeat them and have for years. I've relaxed a lot since I had littles.

I think this is huge. We have older kids. I might not have seen this movie with my first born due to the language. But, having raised three to their teenaged years (well, one isn't quite there yet), I'm a lot more lenient with my baby!!! She hears words. And, she knows not to repeat them. I think the overall message in this movie far outweighs the three swear words.

I was so inspired, too! I tend to be introverted and I don't take chances. I'm afraid of change. That phrase,"It just takes 20 seconds of crazy courage," really hit home for me.

I've always said about hard situations that I can do anything for x minutes or hours or days. But that's in the midst of it. I've never heard a phrase describing how to get up the courage to do something new. This is it. And this will stick with me for a long, long time.

This is an interesting thread to me. The last Sunday school lesson we had, this was the topic of discussion, and you would not believe the astonished looks when I informed the teens and preteens that saying "s*&t" or even "F$#k", for example is not technically a sin. Taking the Lord's name in vain is, and saying any word with the purpose to hurt is. But there is nothing particularly evil about any set order of letters. It is all about what a particular culture finds offensive. And if we know it is offensive to most people and use it in front of them, then that is bad, but the Bible does not say that all those "foul words" in and of themselves, are sinful. They were astounded! A mom said that!;)

My VERY conservative inlaws took the whole family to see this movie, including the 2.5 yo who slept through most of it. Yes, there was some profanity, but it didn't appall me. Honestly, potty and body part words don't offend me as much as the D*** word and H*** and definitely not the name of the Lord taken in vain. I guess that's because my super conservative daddy used to let fly with Sh** when he hit his thumb with a hammer.

I haven't seen it and only know a little bit about it. I am guessing the mom has died in the movie and it deals with them moving on. I am a bit worried about my 7 year old seeing this. He is still struggling with losing his brother. Any opinion on if this would be okay for us? Thanks for any input! Oh and I don't care about the language... nothing he hasn't heard from his momma! ;)

Kari, I don't know if this would be hard for your son or not. It deals with a mom and a beloved tiger getting sick and dying. Both had sicknesses, which is different than the way your Tim passed away. If he is struggling with death in general, I would say pass on the movie or wait until it comes out on DVD so you can stop it right way if you see Sebastian is struggling. This is what I would do.

I am hormonal right now and cried through several parts. But it was a good cry. LOL Also, one of the previews is the new Tom Hanks movie about 9/11 which also made me tear up.I will so not be seeing that movie!

:grouphug::grouphug: That this has to be a concern for you. Wishing you and yours peace.....

Someone in the other thread said the little girl says the d word. Is that not true? I may have misread..

This link tells exactly what words are used (and yes the little girl says that one).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1389137/parentalguide

As I said in the other thread, at my kid's ages this movie wouldn't really bother me. But I could see that families would want to be consistent with whatever their stance is on certain issues or language.

I was so inspired, too! I tend to be introverted and I don't take chances. I'm afraid of change. That phrase,"It just takes 20 seconds of crazy courage," really hit home for me.

I've always said about hard situations that I can do anything for x minutes or hours or days. But that's in the midst of it. I've never heard a phrase describing how to get up the courage to do something new. This is it. And this will stick with me for a long, long time.

This is me. I've been working on my personal courage, and I'll admit hearing that phrase in the previews made me tear up. I stretched myself today and it felt good. My courage comes in small doses, I'm glad you were inspired.

It's on my to-see list, whether at the theater or at home.

Kari, I don't know if this would be hard for your son or not. It deals with a mom and a beloved tiger getting sick and dying. Both had sicknesses, which is different than the way your Tim passed away. If he is struggling with death in general, I would say pass on the movie or wait until it comes out on DVD so you can stop it right way if you see Sebastian is struggling. This is what I would do.

I am hormonal right now and cried through several parts. But it was a good cry. LOL Also, one of the previews is the new Tom Hanks movie about 9/11 which also made me tear up.I will so not be seeing that movie!

:grouphug::grouphug: That this has to be a concern for you. Wishing you and yours peace.....

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it! :001_smile:

Word Girl, I was nervous because so many people were so vocal in the other thread about this movie being bad for children because of the bad language that they would take offense to my post. I don't start threads often and rarely post in the super controversial ones (and refrained from posting in that one). It took courage for me to start a thread about this movie being very good despite the language. Silly, I know, but there it is. :)

Word Girl, I was nervous because so many people were so vocal in the other thread about this movie being bad for children because of the bad language that they would take offense to my post. I don't start threads often and rarely post in the super controversial ones (and refrained from posting in that one). It took courage for me to start a thread about this movie being very good despite the language. Silly, I know, but there it is. :)

Well, I am really glad you did! Thanks for posting!

:iagree: My sentiments exactly! Thanks for the recommendation! I really did not know anything about the movie, since we do not have tv and miss entertainment advertisements. I am sure my family would enjoy it.

Thanks Kalah, your review has clarified some things for me, and we'll go and see it. I don't fuss about some swearing, as it's out there, anyway, and I can't stop their ears with cotton (not that I'm saying that wouldn't be a Good Thing).

Are there any scary moments? Ds4 is a bit of a softy in that regard. (I believe in pushing his limits within reason, but it would affect where we saw it, e.g. at home where he can watch some parts from a nearby doorway or behind the couch, as opposed to the cinema, where hiding under the seats might result in gum-in-the-hair or something equally icky!)

Thanks, nd. No, no scary parts. There are big cats that roar and a little bit of an intense moment with a bear, but I saw the bear part more as funny (and the movie played it up that way) and the big cat roars were at normal distance and not scary.

You shouldn't have any gum-in-hair moments. LOL

Enjoy the movie!

I am guessing the mom has died in the movie and it deals with them moving on. I am a bit worried about my 7 year old seeing this. He is still struggling with losing his brother. Any opinion on if this would be okay for us? Thanks for any input! Oh and I don't care about the language... nothing he hasn't heard from his momma! ;)

Kari,

I'm sorry about your son, actually both of them. I hate that your son died and that your young son is missing his brother. Hugs and prayers for your family.

We saw this movie this week. I sat next to my 7-year-old, who lost his dad when he was three, and he didn't have any trouble with the death aspect of the movie. And, yes, he still talks about his dad, asks questions about him, wants a real dad not one in heaven, etc. While I can't say that he is having a hard time right now, he is completely aware of death and what it means long term. He started in ps this year, and he is aggravated that some boys in his class don't believe that his dad died.

Now, for the long explanation. I rarely take the kids to the movies, once a year or less. We went this summer, but I was thinking of going to a movie this Christmas. I saw an ad for Zoo, and I thought it would work for the age span of my kids. Then, I saw something about the character buying the zoo after his wife dies, and I decided it wasn't the movie for us. I don't like movies/shows about death, because in Hollywood things work out better (and of course, quicker) after death than I've experienced in real life.

Anyway, some old friends invited our family out to lunch and a movie this week. My kids were excited, so we went even though Zoo was the movie. Our lunch ran long, and we missed the first part of the movie, where the mom dies. (I am grateful for small favors.) So, I don't know enough about the start of the movie to give you a description about how the death was handled.

We arrived at the movie just as the main character sees the house and hears about the zoo for the first time. I can tell you I thought death was handled well (and pretty realistically) in the rest of the movie. That said, the movie is fun, inspiring, good, etc, even though death is a big part of the movie.

One scene has the main character cleaning out the closet in order to move. The young daughter mentions that an old sweatshirt was Mommy's, and they decide to get rid of the sweatshirt. Later, there is a scene where the young daughter is wearing that old sweatshirt in bed. That leads to the father/daughter talking about missing her. The dad gives the daughter something to do to feel close to her mom. A few minutes later, I caught my 7-year-old doing the same thing. I didn't get a chance to ask him about it.

Later in the movie, the dad can't look at some pictures of his wife on the computer. (Or at least, that is what it seemed like to me, but my perspective is different than others.) I was crying at this point. My 7-year-old was hugging on me, and he asked if I was crying. I said I was. He said, "Well, that explains why your face is wet."

You mentioned "moving on" after a death. I thought the movie accurately portrayed that you don't really/easily/actually move on after the death of a close loved one even though life keeps moving/changing/happening/going. The family didn't move on, they just kept living, and made a big change in their lifestyle as part of that. I remember feeling "mad" for a moment in the movie, because the audience was laughing at a funny part that happened right after a sad part. Then, I realized that is how life is, the good, the bad, the ugly, the funny all intertwined.

I got why the main character didn't want the animal to die.

I had 4 of my kids with my me, and all of them liked the movie. They ranged in age from 3 to 9, when their dad died. None of them said anything about the mom dying. (Again we didn't see that scene, but it was talked about in the part we saw.) When we talked about the movie on the way home, I said something like, "it makes our problems not look so bad." My 11-year-old responded, "What problems?" So, it definitely didn't make that child dwell on dad's death.

I read the other thread about the cursing. We were late, so I may have missed the words mentioned or I just didn't notice them. I don't like curse words; I never (and I mean never) curse or use bad words. I don't allow my kids to curse or use bad words. If they pick one up somewhere and repeat it, I simply say that isn't a word/phrase we use, and they don't say it again. (My seven-year-old asked me this week if he could say "Holy Cow.) I have been known to tell strangers who are using extremely inappropriate language around kids to watch their language. I hate it when movies put in bad words for no reason. That said, I felt the two bad words that I noticed in the movie served a purpose and were appropriate.

I'm pretty sure one of the bad words happens when the father and teenage son are fighting. The boy is ANGRY; he has every right to be. He's grieving the loss of his mom and his friends. I'm glad they only had him only one bad word. It could have easily been a lot more.

The other one was when the little girl repeats to an adult what she has heard other adults calling him. It made me cringe, but her saying that added to the suspense of the scene. She could have said something slightly different that wouldn't have been as bad, but I still would have cringed.

The comment about the Easter Bunny went over my believers heads.

I hope you like the movie. Sometimes it is good to have a different reason to cry.

I saw it today with dd's 13 & 14. We all loved it, we're definitely getting it on dvd :D

I'm glad I got the heads up though, because I was going to take ds's 3 & 4 too, I don't think it was appropriate for them.

That's the thing. What is appropriate for a pre-teen or teen is not the same thing that's appropriate for a young child, and I think sometimes we talk past each other when we don't take that into account. I wouldn't have brought my kids to this when they were, say, under 7 or so. But with my kids now at 11 and 13 we're looking forward to it!

Kari,

I'm sorry about your son, actually both of them. I hate that your son died and that your young son is missing his brother. Hugs and prayers for your family.

We saw this movie this week. I sat next to my 7-year-old, who lost his dad when he was three, and he didn't have any trouble with the death aspect of the movie. And, yes, he still talks about his dad, asks questions about him, wants a real dad not one in heaven, etc. While I can't say that he is having a hard time right now, he is completely aware of death and what it means long term. He started in ps this year, and he is aggravated that some boys in his class don't believe that his dad died.

Now, for the long explanation. I rarely take the kids to the movies, once a year or less. We went this summer, but I was thinking of going to a movie this Christmas. I saw an ad for Zoo, and I thought it would work for the age span of my kids. Then, I saw something about the character buying the zoo after his wife dies, and I decided it wasn't the movie for us. I don't like movies/shows about death, because in Hollywood things work out better (and of course, quicker) after death than I've experienced in real life.

Anyway, some old friends invited our family out to lunch and a movie this week. My kids were excited, so we went even though Zoo was the movie. Our lunch ran long, and we missed the first part of the movie, where the mom dies. (I am grateful for small favors.) So, I don't know enough about the start of the movie to give you a description about how the death was handled.

We arrived at the movie just as the main character sees the house and hears about the zoo for the first time. I can tell you I thought death was handled well (and pretty realistically) in the rest of the movie. That said, the movie is fun, inspiring, good, etc, even though death is a big part of the movie.

One scene has the main character cleaning out the closet in order to move. The young daughter mentions that an old sweatshirt was Mommy's, and they decide to get rid of the sweatshirt. Later, there is a scene where the young daughter is wearing that old sweatshirt in bed. That leads to the father/daughter talking about missing her. The dad gives the daughter something to do to feel close to her mom. A few minutes later, I caught my 7-year-old doing the same thing. I didn't get a chance to ask him about it.

Later in the movie, the dad can't look at some pictures of his wife on the computer. (Or at least, that is what it seemed like to me, but my perspective is different than others.) I was crying at this point. My 7-year-old was hugging on me, and he asked if I was crying. I said I was. He said, "Well, that explains why your face is wet."

You mentioned "moving on" after a death. I thought the movie accurately portrayed that you don't really/easily/actually move on after the death of a close loved one even though life keeps moving/changing/happening/going. The family didn't move on, they just kept living, and made a big change in their lifestyle as part of that. I remember feeling "mad" for a moment in the movie, because the audience was laughing at a funny part that happened right after a sad part. Then, I realized that is how life is, the good, the bad, the ugly, the funny all intertwined.

I got why the main character didn't want the animal to die.

I had 4 of my kids with my me, and all of them liked the movie. They ranged in age from 3 to 9, when their dad died. None of them said anything about the mom dying. (Again we didn't see that scene, but it was talked about in the part we saw.) When we talked about the movie on the way home, I said something like, "it makes our problems not look so bad." My 11-year-old responded, "What problems?" So, it definitely didn't make that child dwell on dad's death.

I read the other thread about the cursing. We were late, so I may have missed the words mentioned or I just didn't notice them. I don't like curse words; I never (and I mean never) curse or use bad words. I don't allow my kids to curse or use bad words. If they pick one up somewhere and repeat it, I simply say that isn't a word/phrase we use, and they don't say it again. (My seven-year-old asked me this week if he could say "Holy Cow.) I have been known to tell strangers who are using extremely inappropriate language around kids to watch their language. I hate it when movies put in bad words for no reason. That said, I felt the two bad words that I noticed in the movie served a purpose and were appropriate.

I'm pretty sure one of the bad words happens when the father and teenage son are fighting. The boy is ANGRY; he has every right to be. He's grieving the loss of his mom and his friends. I'm glad they only had him only one bad word. It could have easily been a lot more.

The other one was when the little girl repeats to an adult what she has heard other adults calling him. It made me cringe, but her saying that added to the suspense of the scene. She could have said something slightly different that wouldn't have been as bad, but I still would have cringed.

The comment about the Easter Bunny went over my believers heads.

I hope you like the movie. Sometimes it is good to have a different reason to cry.

Thank you SO MUCH. I really apreciate it. I know I sound like a broken record on here so much when I am always talking about losing my son. I guess it is because it engulfs just about every thing we do. I think it has been harder because of the holidays for my son and just all of us. And you are right about moving on - it doesn't happen really. I am sorry about your husband. Again, thanks!

Regarding the actual death of the Mommy, it is not shown. The movie begins as the Daddy is driving the kids to school six months after the death. They talk about it a lot, including descriptions like, "Did Mommy hurt a lot before she died?" The scene with the computer and the daddy crying was the most emotionally intense one.

Regarding scary scenes, there is an incident with SNAKES which made me writhe.

Too late.... I hit you with the tomatoes I'm throwing. lol

All kidding aside, we went Christmas night and loved it! It was the perfect heart-warming kind of movie to see on Christmas. AND it was in a brand new theater we have here. Great night all around!

I took the kids to this today. They 3 older kids loved it, my 4 yr old got bored about 3/4 of the way through once she ran out of popcorn. Over all I think it was a great movie. I warned my kids about the cuss words I read about here, and my 8 yr old asked about 1/2 way through when the bad words were supposed to happen. It wasn't until after that it happened, and honestly I think they were appropriately placed. The scene was an intense one and if it had happened irl I know those words would have been used. Then again BS is a word I use around here in it's full glory on occasion. THe scene with the bear had me laughing as he wiped the spittle off his face, and the lion scene had me really laughing when the guy yelled at the lion that he did not want to eat him. The issue with the tiger had me teary eyed as did the scene when he is replaying his memories of the picnic.

I have to say this is one movie I actually enjoyed the previews as much as the movie itself. We rarely go to the theatre, but we intend to go back when DisneyNature Chimpanzee is out and when Big Miracle comes out. THey look like they will be great movies.

I am hoping that the littles will enjoy Alvin and the chipmunks just as much when I take them in a few weeks when the bigs go to their dad's house.

The only word that I really HATE that is in the movie is what the little girl says. And the fact that a little girl says it....just eww..

I have to agree with this. The other words didn't really bother me. This one did and the fact that child said it made it worse imo. There are really two words that I really hate and this was one of them.

But, I loved the movie and the message and my kids enjoyed it. :001_smile: