Menu

Would I rather get an Iphone or a new Android?

Which phone?  

1. 1. Which phone?

• Android (please put model in comments below)
    • Iphone (of course)
    • I'd have trouble choosing too

Over the past two years I've really come to depend on my Android. It's my mobile office and my hub of productivity. I do own a laptop, but not a tablet. My 6yo Ipod nano has disappeared into the ether since last summer, but I usually just use my Sansa when I want to listen to audiobooks. I'm not big on walking around with music in my ears, but I do like to hook up my phone to my boombox and listen to Pandora.

So my last loyalty discount ($100) with Verizon is coming up in February. I have a first generation Moto Droid that required a large learning curve at the beginning. I'm comfortable with it now, though. I have a lot of apps that I use regularly. I'm guessing I will have to get used to buying apps if I get an Iphone. Then again, I think Apple phones are more productivity friendly to begin with. I really like the idea of Siri. I can get a 16g Iphone for $100 or I can get a new Android for as cheap as free if I play my cards right.

So what do I want to do? Whatever I choose, I'm going to have to live with for a few years. To reiterated, I really, really depend on my phone to organize me, to get around strange cities (we travel a lot), and for general entertainment. Pros and cons of either? Anyone?

I went with an android (LG Optima) because of the price and the plans-not only was the iPhone so much more than the android, but the plans were so expensive, and I really don't use my cell much. I have an iPod Touch (for music teaching, mostly) that has my music files and that I can download apps on, so I don't feel the lack of the iTunes store, and for the occasional "look something up away from home" data use (and the build in GPS app), the cheaper android is fine.

I have a netbook and desktop PC, but no tablet yet (although I have iPad envy).

I went with an android (LG Optima) because of the price and the plans-not only was the iPhone so much more than the android, but the plans were so expensive, and I really don't use my cell much.

Wait, what? Who are you with and how is the price any different? With 2 kids in school, 3 at home, one in college, one in community college, and a husband who works out of state, I pretty much live in my car. To say I use my phone a lot would be a radical understatement.

Do you have an ipad? I would save the extra $100 towards an ipad and keep the android phone. I have an older android and an ipad. I have things like my banking app, kindle, navigation, etc on both but find myself using the ipad more and more. The only thing I'm going to change when I'm eligible for upgrade next year is to get a little better android that will act as a hotspot. Other than that, I'm happy with my Android phone. If you have an ipad I would still stick with the android phone and save the $100 for something else.

I just went through this whole decision making process. I had a Blackberry that was dying and needed a quick replacement. I went with the iPhone, since iPhone users seemed more pleased with their choice than the Android users (among people I know). I also wanted to be able to put audiobooks from our iPod onto my phone so that when we travel and the kids forget the ipod, we can use my phone.

If I were you and were already an Android user and I was pleased with it, I would stick with it. I don't see a need to change and have to learn something new.

Wait, what? Who are you with and how is the price any different? With 2 kids in school, 3 at home, one in college, one in community college, and a husband who works out of state, I pretty much live in my car. To say I use my phone a lot would be a radical understatement.

I'm with Virgin Mobile (and in an area where Sprint has good coverage), and pay a whopping $25 month for Unlimited Data/text and 250 minutes of phone, which is all I need. It cost about $200 to get the phone to start. I think they've got an unlimited minutes plan, too, but I don't know how that compares.

I ust got an iPad for Christmas, so I'm not really sure how exactly it will be used, especially since I have an Android phone. I had the original Motorola Droid and loved it. After dh washed his second phone, I gave him my old phone and upgraded to a Motorola Droid X2. We seriously considered switching to Iphones, but I really really love my Droid. We didn't get a 4G capable phone because we live in the boonies and 4G isn't available here. I do miss the slide-out keyboard on my old Droid, but the Droid X2 is really cool.

ETA: We are also with Verizon

I just went through this whole decision making process. I had a Blackberry that was dying and needed a quick replacement. I went with the iPhone, since iPhone users seemed more pleased with their choice than the Android users (among people I know). I also wanted to be able to put audiobooks from our iPod onto my phone so that when we travel and the kids foorget the ipod, we can use my phone.

If I were you and were already an Android user and I was pleased with it, I would stick with it. I don't see a need to change and have to learn something new.

I did the same. My husband has a droid, and a few friends do... I'm not overly fond of their phones, even in comparison to my Blackberry. And my husband has ongoing issues with lockups, GPS problems, etc.

FTR, my iPhone plan is $5 less than my Crackberry plan it replaced and the droid plan.

I'm with Virgin Mobile (and in an area where Sprint has good coverage), and pay a whopping $25 month for Unlimited Data/text and 250 minutes of phone, which is all I need. It cost about $200 to get the phone to start. I think they've got an unlimited minutes plan, too, but I don't know how that compares.

Oh okay. We're with Verizon because we have 5 phones on the family plan. Also since we travel a lot by car, I need nationwide coverage.

Of those two choices, I would go with the Android phone. I will never, ever buy an iPhone because of the lack of an actual keypad. No way will I deal with a touch keypad instead. I text/email a ton and I'm super-fast on my keypad (I have a Blackberry), so when I went to replace my phone recently, I just upgraded my Blackberry even though the salesperson was trying to push the iPhone on me. :confused: If I didn't want a Blackberry anymore, I would go with an Android phone instead. My sister has one and loves it, but I don't "do" apps and texting/email capabilities are my top priorities so a Blackberry is the best fit for me.

Did you switch from an android or is it your first smartphone? What are your favorite things about it?

I fought getting a smartphone forever. What I love about the iphone is how darn easy it is to switch from music to texts to calls. I love Siri. That thing does everything!!!

It took me about 2 days to really get the hang of it.

I'm 40. I was worried the screen would be yucky for me too but so far, no problems.

If you use your cell phone primarily for talking though, should you even get a smart phone? All the fancy stuff takes away from the actual use of the iphone/Android as well, a PHONE.

I fought getting a smartphone forever. What I love about the iphone is how darn easy it is to switch from music to texts to calls. I love Siri. That thing does everything!!!

It took me about 2 days to really get the hang of it.

I'm 40. I was worried the screen would be yucky for me too but so far, no problems.

If you use your cell phone primarily for talking though, should you even get a smart phone? All the fancy stuff takes away from the actual use of the iphone/Android as well, a PHONE.

Oh, I have an Android now. I use the calendar, the alarms, Yelp, googlemaps, Audible, Kindle for android, listmaker apps, my email, etc, etc. Siri is the biggest draw for me because I wouldn't have to constantly open different aps for different things. It would just be Siri and me. Buddies forever.

I dipped my iPhone 3gs in my coffee on Monday, and the touchscreen didn't survive. So, on the advice of my most geeky male friend, who has owned almost every phone imaginable, I am going with the Samsung Galaxy S II. He told me it's the best phone he's ever owned. I don't think Verizon carries that one, but I do believe they have the new, highly anticipated, Samsung Nexus, which runs on the latest Android platform, Ice Cream Sandwich.

Also, doesn't Verizon give you 30 days to try out the phone? I double checked on that with AT&T in case I hate my Android and am desperate to go back to Apple. :)

Android

We are upgrading in two months, and dh is getting an iPhone but I am getting another Android phone of some sort. I have a slide out keyboard and love it to death! I can't imagine using a phone without one because I text, search the internet, and add events to my calendar all the time. The girls keep teasing me that I'm the only mom without an iPhone, but I'm a nonconformist. :D I used to have a Blackberry and didn't mind it but I prefer Android.

I do have a Nano, and we have an iPad which I hate using. I just don't find Apple's format intuitive. And I love my Android apps.

Hmmm. I also just realized the Iphone has a smaller screen. My eyes aren't so hot anymore.

This wasn't among your choices, but I just got a BlackBerry Torch. Nice large screen and you can use it as a touch screen, but it also has a slide out keypad. IMO, you simply cannot beat a BB for organization.

I voted that I'd have trouble choosing, too, because I do. I'm up for renewal in Feb, and I just don't know what to do. Dh had an iphone and it was pretty easy to use, but he's also got a Mac computer. I use and like windows, and all my stuff is on windows program (music and books on windows media, writing in Word, notes and things in One Note, etc). I'm toiling over the decision, actually, because I'm completely techno-stupid.

My kids both got the iPhone 4S. I love love the phone. But I am not going to get one.

When they call me, I cannot hear them. They always sound garbled or like they are calling me from somewhere with bad reception. According to me teenage daughter its because the microphone is at the bottom of the phone so you have to hold the phone not like a regular phone, but kinda sideways and talk into the bottom.

I don't love my android phone but at least I can hear/be heard on it.

This wasn't among your choices, but I just got a BlackBerry Torch. Nice large screen and you can use it as a touch screen, but it also has a slide out keypad. IMO, you simply cannot beat a BB for organization.

I agree! It really depends what your priorities are for a smartphone. If apps are important to you, then a Blackberry isn't a good fit. But, like I mentioned earlier, apps are just not my "thing". I really use my smartphone as a major organizational tool. For that purpose, I don't think a Blackberry can be beat. I can see why they are used by many business people. I think my Blackberry suits my business college/M.B.A.-trained mind. ;)

I've had an ipod touch for a while so I've gotten used to Apple's app store. I just got an Android phone and I'm finding the claims of tons of free apps at the Android store that Apple users have to pay for to be wild exaggerations. Honestly, I don't notice a difference at all.

Edit: I will say that I do like having a slide out keyboard. Touch screen typing gets a little annoying after a while if you text a lot. I personally can text much faster with both thumbs on a full qwerty keyboard.