Menu

"Rebecca" -- Romance? Mystery? Gothic horror?

I loved Rebecca. I had to slog through the first half, wanting to strangle the wimpy heroine, but the second half turns everything on its head. It's a fun read.

I'd call it a mystery/gothic classic. For your requirements, I'd call it a romance too. Read it!

Edited by JoMama

I love Rebecca, and I'm in the 'Gothic' camp.

As an aside. Last year I read another one of Daphne Du Maurier's books. It was a collection of short stories. I think it was called Don't Look Now (or that could have been the title of one of the stories).

Anyway....Wow. That one had a different feel entirely than my beloved Rebecca. A lot of the stories dealt with the paranormal and had a Twilight Zone feel to them. Most were fairly good although different than what I expected. However, one of the stories still disturbs me a year later.....***SPOILER ALERT***. It had a young woman falling in love with an older man with whom she had a steamy sexual relationship. Turns out the man was her biological father. AACK! :blink: Sorry to burden you with that. I just had to get it off my chest.

Carry on...

I love Rebecca! It's one of my favorite books. :) It's most definitely not a sweep-you-off-your-feet romance type of book (I loathe romance novels too!). It's more of a mystery than anything. The 'love story' gets a little overwhelmed by external events that are happening.

:iagree: I read Rebecca in high school, and have read it again a couple of times as an adult--great story, love it!

or all of the above? I need a "Classic Romance" for my Back to the Classics 2012 reading challenge. I typically hate icky-sticky romance (Jane Austen = :ack2:) so I need something that can be considered Classic and Romance without the swooning, sweep-me-off-my-feet factor.

Any ideas?

Rebecca would work for that as would Jane Eyre or Pride & Prejudice, Emma, Sense & Sensibility. Maybe Gone with the Wind

Ethan Frome is a twisted tragic romance.

Romeo & Juliet?

ETA: If I understand genre correctly a work can fit into more than one genre. Rebecca is gothic but that doesn't mean it isn't a romance. In fact gothic romance is my mother's all time favorite genre. :D Victoria Holt, Georgette Heyer, Joan Aiken, etc. I don't think any of those are "classic" however.

edit #2 : Sorry... missed the part where you don't like Austen. :001_smile:

Edited by silliness7

Love Georgette Heyer, but I agree that they aren't exactly classics. Entertaining reads nonetheless :)

:iagree:

I love Georgette Heyer too.

Rebecca would fit as a classic Romance, it is a wonderful book. Some argue that it has the best opening sentence of all time. "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderlay again."

I like Austen to watch as movies, but I never enjoyed reading her books for some reason.

Any of the Bronte sisters would work too. They all have a darker element to the classic romance. (Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall"

I read Rebecca this fall, and I vote Gothic.

It wasn't unpleasant to read, but I was shocked at how amoral it was. There isn't a moral character in the bunch.

:iagree:

I hated it. Maybe because when I read it, I was very young, but the whole story and the characters repulsed me.

I need a "Classic Romance" for my Back to the Classics 2012 reading challenge. I typically hate icky-sticky romance (Jane Austen = :ack2:) so I need something that can be considered Classic and Romance without the swooning, sweep-me-off-my-feet factor.

Any ideas?

You might consider The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy -- it has elements of adventure and romance in a historical setting. It was written in 1905, I believe.

Regards,

Kareni