Menu

I'm looking for vacation ideas

Our family has free time from July 18-31 and we would like to travel, but I am looking for ideas.

We lived in the DC area, so we don't need to visit there again and we had an amazing trip to NYC not long ago. We were also blessed to have several trips to Europe and to beaches.

Since I am trying to find something new for us to do, my first idea is to fly to San Francisco, spend a few days, then drive down the coast, etc.

I was also tossing around the idea of flying to Seattle, then driving up to Vancover.

I know I need to start making plans, but I can't help but wonder if there is some place else we could be travel to.

So ... would you offer suggestions for a fabulous destination for the end of July. It can be a lazy trip where we just sit and veg out or to a place that has great places to visit. Our children will be 15 and 12-years-old by next summer and are great travelers.

:bigear:

Go cross country. We traveled to see sights from Craters of the Moon to Mt. Rushmore spending several days in Yellowstone.

Stay put. We also had a great vacation the year we rented a cabin and a boat at a state park in Tennessee.

Pick an interest. This spring we are planning a trip up the east coast to see as many early colonial and Revolutionary War historical sites as we can fit in.

There's always Disney.

By all means do Seattle!!! :) We lived there for 2 years and the absolute best time to visit are those dates!!!! From July 15-Sep 15 you have the best weather in the world!!

* Hike up Mt. Rainier..usually too much snow other months, but just beautiful this time of year!!!

* Visit Dungenness Spit (Sequim- pronounced Squim)

* Visit Downtown Seattle- do the needle/science museum, must eat lunch by the wharf..the best chowder and of course salmon anywhere!

* Take the ferry to ORcas Islands...incredible potters up there and you're likely to see killer whales.

* Lastly go to Victoria, British Columbia...incredible and beautiful!! You could go to Vancouver, but I would spend my time in Victoria over Vancouver.

If you can rent a place on Whidbey Island, that would be cool, too!

http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/40172.html?promoType=deal

By all means make this a trip! :)

Since I am trying to find something new for us to do, my first idea is to fly to San Francisco, spend a few days, then drive down the coast, etc.

I was also tossing around the idea of flying to Seattle, then driving up to Vancover.

Both of these are great ideas. Could you give us a better idea of what types of things your family likes to do? That would help for making suggestions.

My children and I have wanderlust and love to travel - seeing all the sites - typical touristy stuff. My husband loves us enough to travel with us and pay for the trips - LOL.

We often travel 10-14 days at a time and come home exhausted even from beach vacations because we don't sit still very well, so I guess more touristy stuff. We enjoyed a family resort in the mountains a few years ago and loved it. That could be a possiblity too. The more activities the better.:D

I'll add a other vote for the Rocky Mountains. There's cool stuff to do in Denver but Estes Park is awesome that time of year. You have the YMCA of the Rockies, white water rafting, hiking, shopping, etc. Estes is great because you literally get to see Elk walking down the street. My aunt has a store there and called me a few weeks ago because there was a large elk bull in front if her store with Christmas lights stuck in his antlers. That's not something you get to see every day. The weather is great in July.

I'd suggest the various canyons in the Four Corners area (Grand Canyon; Zion's Canyon; Bryce Canyon; even Arches; and that place with the Indian ruins, Mesa Verde, maybe?), but definitely not in July.

So I'll go with seconding the Denver to Colorado Springs area. My kids loved Garden of the Gods (though the section we did was very developed for my taste).

Lots of cool stuff in the Portland, OR area, too, ranging from OMSI to the awesome waterfalls, like Multnomah.

And spend some time on Vancouver Island. Dh and I honeymooned there.

One of our favorite family trips was to Seattle. We actually spent time in the city, Mt. Rainier, Spokane (visiting family), then explored the Cascade Mountains and back to the coast. Loved Loved Loved Washington state. (P.S. Be sure to take photos of all the fun little places that sell espresso...we once passed a little run-down shack of an auto repair shop that was called "Bob's Auto Repair and Espresso" :))

Edited by Susan in TN

My husband mentioned a trip to Nova Scotia recently. What are some must-see/do things in that area (Bangor to NS)?

This is a trip I'd love to take. I could spend days just driving along the coast of Maine. DH and I were up that way a few years ago. We drove to St. John's, NB, and rode the ferry to Nova Scotia. That's probably about the right time for whale watching on the Bay of Fundy. Or you could get out to Prince Edward Island on the way. Halifax is very interesting with a maritime museum and the Citadel. We saw other sites of interest as DH's family history goes back to Halifax. It's a beautiful city. There's Peggy's Cove lighthouse out on the coast if you're into lighthouses and Lunenberg town, a UNESCO world heritage site. I'd also love to go back someday to Cape Breton Island on the east end of Nova Scotia for the scenery and to see the fortress of Louisbourg.

This afternoon I asked our daughter where she wanted to go on vacation and suggested a trip to somewhere in Canada.

Maybe I am on the right track with a trip to Seattle then driving into Canada. I did a quick search and that area in Victoria/BC is so beautiful.

We live in the Vancouver area and it is beautiful!!! There are some interesting areas between Seattle and here as well ......... La Conner, Port Townsend, Whidbey Island, Bellingham, etc. The nice thing about the Vancouver area is that if you make it your home base, there are tons of things to do. Whistler is only a couple of hours away. There are many hiking trails. You can go shopping, to the Aquarium, H.R. MacMillan Space Centre, Bard on the Beach is running during this time, you can rent bikes and take a ride around Stanley Park, the Vancouver Art Gallery, etc. You could even hop a ferry and take a trip to Victoria or up the Sunshine Coast. There are hundreds of options.

That's my vote but, then again, I may be biased ...... ;)