Menu

Teen to get driver's license! INsurance wants grades?

So he takes his test this upcoming Tuesday. He will go on our insurance. He is paying the difference.

He pretty much straight A's in his studies. We do P/F on some subjects. He fails, he redoes til he Passes. But he doesn't fail. He is a pretty smart kid.

I go with the actual state standards for his requirements. He just takes more in one year than he would in PS. So he does like 8 courses. (goal to graduate at 16)

I am in New Mex, our requirements to HS:

teacher must be parent/guardian

teacher must have GED/diploma

must be in school 180 days

and

register with the state (to get a number)

State Farm wants a report card?

any one have a nifty keen-0 one I can look at to make one? lol

or ideas?

thank you in advance!

Edited by anneofalamo

Is State Farm the one that does lower rates for teens with good grades? If that is the case, you might be better off supplying the actual grades instead of test scores. I would probably just use a letterhead and a listing of current classes and grades. I'm sure other people have some niftier ideas than that though. :)

Is State Farm the one that does lower rates for teens with good grades? If that is the case, you might be better off supplying the actual grades instead of test scores. I would probably just use a letterhead and a listing of current classes and grades. I'm sure other people have some niftier ideas than that though. :)

yes, they give a substantial discount for honor roll students. My best friend (homeschooler also) is going thru this with me. State farm (at least here in my little town) is a bit perplexed at the Home School standards and how to handle it.

We both are current State Farm customers.

Insurance companies don't care about government requirements for homeschooling. They don't need to care. They only know that statistically, good students are safer/better drivers than those who are not.

Print out a transcript or report card/grade card from Donna Young. Fill in grades, making your best guess. Submit it to your insurance.

My experience with allstate in TN was similar experiences shared. The company needs a paper report on file in case of audit.

I showed the most recently completed semester with grades and GPA. I use an umbrella school and just printed out the "parent" copy version. No letterhead, nothing fancy. just classes, grades and name and address.

I don't even have to submit it more than the one time. After that they look at actual driving record.

here's a part of the donna young site with grade reports

http://donnayoung.org/forms/planners/grade.htm

you could plug and chug in a transcript form if you wanted

here's one

http://www.hslda.org/highschool/academics.asp#transcripts

-crystal

Our insurance offers discounts too. Really, they don't care if it's official or not! For years, I've simply put: child's name, grade, and "Homeschool Transcripts" as the title, listed their present courses and grades, and printed it off. It has always been accepted, no questions asked. I believe I've signed it at the bottom.

Insurance companies don't care about government requirements for homeschooling. They don't need to care. They only know that statistically, good students are safer/better drivers than those who are not.

:iagree:And some State Farm agents won't accept transcripts that are not from a "real" school. They do not have an overall company policy on this....it varies from state to state, depending on the insurance laws. Ask me how I know. :glare:

:iagree:And some State Farm agents won't accept transcripts that are not from a "real" school. They do not have an overall company policy on this....it varies from state to state, depending on the insurance laws. Ask me how I know. :glare:

Yeah, we are arguing with the agent (who was homeschooled)! growl

but Iwill prevail or will take my very excellent driving and Payment record to another agency. :D