Menu

Math Placement

It's looking more and more like my ds (a sophomore) is going to be home for the second semester of this school year. I'm currently doing what I can to prepare curriculum for him but I've really hit a snag with math.

For the last year and a half my son has been in a STEM school using SIMMS Integrated Math. Last year he had a wonderful teacher and did very well. They also integrated much of what they were learning into his physics class which help reinforce what he was learning and it was a good fit. This year he has a different teacher that believes more in collaboration and it's been a rocky road. This is just one of many reasons why he may be home at the end of this semester.

My question is what would others recommend to assess his learning and determine placement? I'm really at a loss and I know that I do not want to try using Integrated Math at home. The TMs are terrible and I think he needs reinforcement in some areas since they've been all over the map.

Prior to the STEM school we were using Chalk Dust and liked it, but now that he's done a little bit of everything I just don't even know where to turn.

http://www.kendallhunt.com/simms/

It's looking more and more like my ds (a sophomore) is going to be home for the second semester of this school year. I'm currently doing what I can to prepare curriculum for him but I've really hit a snag with math.

For the last year and a half my son has been in a STEM school using SIMMS Integrated Math. Last year he had a wonderful teacher and did very well. They also integrated much of what they were learning into his physics class which help reinforce what he was learning and it was a good fit. This year he has a different teacher that believes more in collaboration and it's been a rocky road. This is just one of many reasons why he may be home at the end of this semester.

My question is what would others recommend to assess his learning and determine placement? I'm really at a loss and I know that I do not want to try using Integrated Math at home. The TMs are terrible and I think he needs reinforcement in some areas since they've been all over the map.

Prior to the STEM school we were using Chalk Dust and liked it, but now that he's done a little bit of everything I just don't even know where to turn.

http://www.kendallhunt.com/simms/

If you look at the Art of Problem Solving website, they have pre and post tests for each of their books. I've found them in the bookstore section. Click on the tab for diagnostic tests.

You could also have him do a few days of work with Alcumus and see what subjects he struggles with. That might narrow down areas to work on. You can change the settings to follow the sequence of a specific book, to focus on a particular topic or to select from all topics.