Menu

Left to Tell....Would this be appropriate for a 9th grader?

www.amazon.com/Left-Tell-Discovering-Rwandan-Holocaust/dp/1401908977/ref=pd_ybh_19?pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1KFK9NHV5V6V1M9BP347

15yo dd is sensitive, but not all the time.:001_huh: i am looking for a book to go along with her study of africa.

thx!

(whoa-that's some link!!)

My son (then 16 yo) and I read "Left to Tell" several years ago. We both enjoyed it, but the story is pretty disturbing for the sensitive. Unfortunately, real events are depicted, and most of the author's family was murdered. It's more of a non-fiction book rather than literature, if that's what you're looking for. The author is Catholic (as are we), and we did enjoy the very deep & moving faith the author depicts as she was hiding from the killers.

Another title that you might consider is "Cry, The Beloved Country" by Alan Paton. This one takes place in South Africa. There is also some violence in it, but it didn't seem as gruesome. "Cry" also had more of a literary feel to it. We felt that the characters were generally well developed, and there is much to think about.

I would highly recommend both of these.

Brenda

Edited by Brenda in MA

I have had the book about the Hotel Rwanda character in my wish list for quite a while, but haven't read it yet. An Ordinary Man: An Autobiography, by Paul Rusesabagina.

Like Brenda mentioned, we're going to read "Cry" this year. I've heard it's more uplifting than the other common example of literature set in Africa, Heart of Darkness.

Julie

It terrified ME and I'm a grown up. :D It's an excellent book and one I'm glad I read. What she witnessed and lived through was gruesome and extremely violent. I commented to my husband that it was less the violence and more the psychological horror of the whole situation that stayed with me. The violence depicted was terrible, but she doesn't describe it in a way that bothered me (and I can barely watch some crime shows). What bothered me was the fact that the men with machetes had sat at her family's table and were looking for HER and calling her name. If your daughter is bothered by gruesome, she should be fine with this book. If your daughter is bothered by the idea that her beloved next door neighbor might start chopping up her brothers with an axe...you might want to skip it for now!

I recommend Cry, The Beloved Country without hesitation.

It's an incredibly life changing book...but I would wait until she's older. It's gruesome and disturbing. It's all true and not glorified Hollywood stuff, but it's extremely heart wrenching. I put it down several times thinking I couldn't go on. It has a good message, but is a difficult book to read.

I don't know about that book, but if you decide it's too disturbing,

your child could read :

The No1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith.

It's mostly funny and entertaining but you do learn a *lot* about

the Ugandan culture, including the "native" natives and other

very interesting cultural aspects that I never knew. I think there

are about seven books.

----

Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood

by Alexandra Fuller. This one is not funny and entertaining

but it is all true historical accounts. It is very interesting and

I learned a lot of things I never knew about Africa. This one

is I think about South Africa and one other nation.

No ! Ladies Dectective's Agency is set in Botswana, not Uganda. Just so ya know!

I've read Left to Tell. It depends on your 9th grader. When I was in 9th grade I was very into Holocaust Lit. But I don't know if that was a good thing! Because it horrified me! But Left to Tell is a very worthwhile book to read.

Another option for a non-fiction book that takes place in Africa is "The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind" by Kamkwamba. This book is a true story about a boy from Malawi whose family cannot afford his fees for school during a drought/famine. He goes to a local library with donated books and checks out a physics book. He teaches himself about electricity and builds his family a windmill out of junk. The book starts out a little slow, but by about halfway, it gets very exciting as he's beginning to make progress with his project.

In addition to learning about modern African life in Malawi, the reader is able to see home/self education at work.

Brenda