Menu

What are your knowledge gaps?

This is inspired by an episode of How I Met Your Mother. :)

Where are the gaps in your knowledge? My best friend (who has a PhD and a successful business) told me sheepishly yesterday that she thought chickens fertilized their eggs after they laid them, much like fish. Apparently she learned only last year that this isn't how it was done. I didn't realize until middle school that there weren't wild cows. (I'm seeing a pattern with farm animals.) I grew up in a big city and cows weren't on my radar until we moved to a small town.

Where are the gaps in your knowledge? My best friend (who has a PhD and a successful business) told me sheepishly yesterday that she thought chickens fertilized their eggs after they laid them, much like fish. Apparently she learned only last year that this isn't how it was done. I didn't realize until middle school that there weren't wild cows. (I'm seeing a pattern with farm animals.) I grew up in a big city and cows weren't on my radar until we moved to a small town.

For those who don't know how Chickens Fertilize eggs:

http://www.angelfire.com/oh/ZebraDirectory/faq.html

My missing knowledge base is the show itself, How I met your mother. We've recently discovered the show and have been watching reruns on two channels and I'm confused. Robin is dating Ted, then Robin is dating Barney. I keep checking the years on the show, but I want to start from beginning. :tongue_smilie:

Real knowledge:

Non US history from about 1500 to 1900. I knew the dates, but it dawned on me the other day that Shakespeare died just before the Pilgrims landed in the US. Yeah, I'm a dork.

Lots of science

Lots of....it might be easier to list what I do know:

Less and less each year it seems.

I love How I Met Your Mother!

Well, I'm realizing as I listen to SOTW with my kids that I have huge gaps in history knowledge.

Probably have big gaps in science, art, and music as well. Don't know that much about pop culture, either.

I'm not too knowledgeable about electronics or sports, mechanics or politics, either.

Wow. I feel like a big dummy. :lol:

Most technology. However, I have found that I actually know more than the common person, however, that doesn't mean much since the average Joe is woefully ignorant of both technology and science. I know I have some science gaps too but again not any that are common knowledge.

But isn't that a thing with knowledge gaps? You usually don't know you have a gap until you learn something new.

I remember random things. I had an amazing science teacher my freshman year of science. On our first day of class he told us to look at a quote over his door and write down what it meant to us.

The first thing I learnt was not to be scared of the teacher, to raise my hand and say, "I am sorry, but I forgot my glasses and can not read the quote.":lol:

So he read it out loud. I spent the rest of Freshman year reading that quote every school day. I am reminded of it constantly.

"As the circle of light increases, so does the circumference of darkness around it." Albert Einstein.

I know about : Literature, how to write a huge paper in hours, Malaria (thanks to helping dh with his presentation of his dissertation), renaissance art and the European history of that time, nutrition, criminology.

Everything else, I feel like I am learning with my kiddos.

I LOVE how I met your mother, In the recent episode where Lily and Marshall's apartment is shrinking. Look on the counter going into the kitchen. There is a big red pepper mill on the counter. I have the same exact one, I have had it for 13 years. It is probably retro now:lol:

Up until meeting DH aged 32 I never knew that the sun was a star :blushing:. He's never let me forget :rolleyes:. Yes, my science education was distinctly lacking. I'm enjoying catching up now with my boys. Sometimes I do wish I could go back to being 10 yo and do it all again properly though.

Cassy

I have too many gaps in my knowledge to mention, but I do know there are still wild cows in parts of Spain. They are not fun to come across on a narrow mountain road.

Literature. I only (grudgingly) read what was assigned in school then promptly forgot all about the Great Books until a few years ago. I still really dislike The Awakening and The Catcher in the Rye, but I've enjoyed working my way through WEM recommendations as well as other "Greatest Books of All Time" lists.