Menu

Need to make a nutrition overhaul--Got book recs?

I know I'm not the only one who goes into shut down mode when she wants to make a big change nutritionally for her family and starts looking for resources. One source says this item is good for you, the next source says that same item is not.

My family lives in the south and generally we would fall into the comfort food/southern style cooking. Each and every one of us has a HUGE sugar.....I dare say....addiction. We love our sweets....packaged cereals, desserts, candy, etc. We are out of control and I know it's all my fault. My hubby and my 11 year old (built the same) are the ones with weight issues, but just because the rest of us are thinner, that doesn't mean we're healthier.

So, I want to take back my family's health/well-being in regards to food. We need portion control, healthy options, a cut back on some things, a cut out on other things, etc.

I need a SIMPLE resource that can start us on our nutrition overhaul. I, personally, will have a very difficult time with severely limiting sweets as I have carefully woven them into the routine of my life. UGH. I'm looking for balance. I am not interested in surgical removal of sweets....I'm looking for a healthy plan that has desserts, even decadent ones, included, but on an occasional basis instead of as a regular staple.

Any great recommendations on nutrition books? Any recs for books that would be good to use for a nutrition unit study for my girls (and me!)?

Grateful in advance for your responses. I know there are those of you who go before me...having made these changes in your family.

Have a great day!

Refined to Real Food

It walks you through the changes step-by-step. For each category of food (meats, dairy, etc.,) she gives you a continuum with least healthy for each food item on the left and most healthy on the right. You move as far over as you can, step by step. So many books are all-or-nothing, so I like this book better for just starting out.

Well, I'm not sure about a book, but what about trying out one of the meal-planning services that offers a healthy option, and then going from there?

E-mealz has some healthier options, and here's another one called Relish that I've been considering because it looks like it uses less processed foods, and would automatically be portion controlled because you're only making as much as you need. (sorry, it's my link, but it's the deal thing I just received and have been considering): http://www.moolala.com/deals/id/2675LQJ/relish-meal-planning

You might also want to check out Leanne Ely (I might have that wrong). She has a meal planning thing, but also some books that might be helpful. If I remember correctly, one of her books has a unit study available.

Refined to Real Food

It walks you through the changes step-by-step. For each category of food (meats, dairy, etc.,) she gives you a continuum with least healthy for each food item on the left and most healthy on the right. You move as far over as you can, step by step. So many books are all-or-nothing, so I like this book better for just starting out.

I really like this book too. I think the problem in my house isn't that I don't know what's healthier, it's carrying out a plan, and especially *portion control*. We eat mostly healthy foods, just way too much of them. :tongue_smilie:

I think I eat well, but I'm definitely NOT running a sugar-free household. I DO feel that a small square of good, dark chocolate is more satisfying than a Hershey bar.

I like these two books:

In Defense of Food

And

French Women Don't Get Fat

They're good reads for reminding you about portion control and general nutrition. (Lots of thin-folk tips you may not have thought of too.)

I think you'd like Ellie Krieger's books. Her most recent one is Comfort Food Fix: Feel-Good Favorites Made Healthy. My library has all of her books, and I've checked them out more than once.

She's got a masters in nutrition, and is a very good cook and recipe writer. I've never had a recipe of hers go wrong. What I especially love is that she doesn't just replace sugar with sugar substitutes- in fact, I believe she doesn't use subsitutes at all, but finds other ways to trim fat, calories and bad for you ingredients. Really, her approach to cooking is that food still has to be delicious, as well as healthy- and it's real food, not strange subs or chemically processed.

Refined to Real Food

This sounds interesting. I so need something step by step. Baby steps....like that other thread that has a daily decluttering/organizing plan. Thanks for the suggestion!

Well, I'm not sure about a book, but what about trying out one of the meal-planning services that offers a healthy option, and then going from there?

E-mealz has some healthier options, and here's another one called Relish that I've been considering because it looks like it uses less processed foods, and would automatically be portion controlled because you're only making as much as you need. (sorry, it's my link, but it's the deal thing I just received and have been considering): http://www.moolala.com/deals/id/2675LQJ/relish-meal-planning

You might also want to check out Leanne Ely (I might have that wrong). She has a meal planning thing, but also some books that might be helpful. If I remember correctly, one of her books has a unit study available.

Thanks, Julie. I've looked at E-mealz before, but it has not grabbed me. I have a friend who uses it. I'll check out the Relish link. Thanks!

I really like this book too. I think the problem in my house isn't that I don't know what's healthier, it's carrying out a plan, and especially *portion control*. We eat mostly healthy foods, just way too much of them. :tongue_smilie:

I am SERIOUSLY considering buying a different plate set....one that has smaller dinner plates. I have tried to portion control using my current plates and I'm not doing so well. LOL.

We have family in town. They took us to Cheesecake Factory last night. Talk about portion issues!!! I ordered the Santa Fe Salad. That thing HAS to be at least 6 portions. OH MAN WAS IT GOOD. I'm sure it is probably a million calories. I loved every bite that I ate. I was able to polish off about half (embarrassed to say) and SO wanted to finish the whole thing. So tasty. SIGH.

I think I eat well, but I'm definitely NOT running a sugar-free household. I DO feel that a small square of good, dark chocolate is more satisfying than a Hershey bar.

I like these two books:

In Defense of Food

And

They're good reads for reminding you about portion control and general nutrition. (Lots of thin-folk tips you may not have thought of too.)

Thanks for the recs, Panda! I have 3 girls that I need to RE-set the example for. We were in Guatemala for a mission trip this summer. My hubby and I each lost about 10 pounds while we were there. No soda....great fresh food, prepared in a delicious way. We ate our fill, but no preservatives and other junk in it. MMMMMMM. Makes you think....

I think you'd like Ellie Krieger's books. Her most recent one is Comfort Food Fix: Feel-Good Favorites Made Healthy. My library has all of her books, and I've checked them out more than once.

She's got a masters in nutrition, and is a very good cook and recipe writer. I've never had a recipe of hers go wrong. What I especially love is that she doesn't just replace sugar with sugar substitutes- in fact, I believe she doesn't use subsitutes at all, but finds other ways to trim fat, calories and bad for you ingredients. Really, her approach to cooking is that food still has to be delicious, as well as healthy- and it's real food, not strange subs or chemically processed.

Just added these books to the library list. Thanks!

What do you folks like to eat? I'd start with favorites and try to make them healthier. It's probably better to go slower and get folks on board without making too much of a fuss at first.

Instead of buying cookies, for instance, make your own. Use whole wheat pastry flour and half white flour (or maybe kamut flour) and a little less sugar. Make pumpkin muffins...they will still have sugar, but they will have a nice veggie in them. Make peanut butter oatmeal cookies. Throw in a handful (instead of a bag full) of chocolate chips. Still a vast improvement over oreos etc.

Instead of Ragu (which has high fructose corn syrup), buy plain sauce in cans or diced or whole tomatoes and add your own seasonings. Even if you add a dab of sugar or brown sugar, you're still using less. Dice and saute a whole onion and some crushed garlic in olive oil before you add the sauce to the saute pan. You're adding decent nutrition with the onions and garlic, plus lots of flavor. As you simmer the sauce, the onions will basically melt...nobody (unless allergic) will notice.

So, what do you like? Lets revamp. lol :D

What do you folks like to eat? I'd start with favorites and try to make them healthier. It's probably better to go slower and get folks on board without making too much of a fuss at first.

So, what do you like? Lets revamp. lol :D

We like:

Spaghetti

Italian Beef in the crockpot/rolls/provolone cheese

Meatloaf

Roast chicken and veggies

Southwestern Soup

Potato Cheese Soup

Pasta e fagioli soup

Lasagna

Brownies

Chocolate Chip cookies

Ice Cream

Candy.....well, we do! I tell you we need help!

Oreo cheesecake straight from heaven...SIGH

etc.

Off to the bookstore. Will check back later!!

I really liked Refined to Real as well. Also, some of the South Beach sorts of cookbooks can be helpful. I don't necessarily agree with all of their ideas (they recommend artificial sweeteners, for instance), but their menus can be helpful in assisting you in breaking mindsets like "it's not a meal if it doesn't have pasta/rice/bread/potatoes."

I know I'm not the only one who goes into shut down mode when she wants to make a big change nutritionally for her family and starts looking for resources. One source says this item is good for you, the next source says that same item is not.

My family lives in the south and generally we would fall into the comfort food/southern style cooking. Each and every one of us has a HUGE sugar.....I dare say....addiction. We love our sweets....packaged cereals, desserts, candy, etc. We are out of control and I know it's all my fault. My hubby and my 11 year old (built the same) are the ones with weight issues, but just because the rest of us are thinner, that doesn't mean we're healthier.

So, I want to take back my family's health/well-being in regards to food. We need portion control, healthy options, a cut back on some things, a cut out on other things, etc.

I need a SIMPLE resource that can start us on our nutrition overhaul. I, personally, will have a very difficult time with severely limiting sweets as I have carefully woven them into the routine of my life. UGH. I'm looking for balance. I am not interested in surgical removal of sweets....I'm looking for a healthy plan that has desserts, even decadent ones, included, but on an occasional basis instead of as a regular staple.

Any great recommendations on nutrition books? Any recs for books that would be good to use for a nutrition unit study for my girls (and me!)?

Grateful in advance for your responses. I know there are those of you who go before me...having made these changes in your family.

Have a great day!

Watch the documentary "Forks Over Knives". Very interesting health information.

We were in Guatemala for a mission trip this summer. My hubby and I each lost about 10 pounds while we were there. No soda....great fresh food, prepared in a delicious way. We ate our fill, but no preservatives and other junk in it. MMMMMMM. Makes you think....

That's the key right there. Somehow we have to make this happen in our everyday world, which definitely isn't easy as there is junk food available and cheap everywhere.

I really like Food Rules by Pollan, makes a lot of sense.

I also like this website: wordofwisdomliving.com (makes a lot of sense even if not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints). I especially found this post interesting about sugar: http://www.wordofwisdomliving.com/home/sugar-and-addiction.html

He talks about limiting sugar to 2tbsp a day. Honestly that sounds like a lot of sugar but it is surprising what we eat that has sugar in it!

I like these two books:

In Defense of Food

And

:iagree:

I am SERIOUSLY considering buying a different plate set....one that has smaller dinner plates.

You would be amazed how well smaller plates works. I got some at the thrift store, and they are at least half the size of modern plates.

I remember watching a movie or something, and anyway, Bela Lugosi was having a doughnut with his daughter and the doughnut was half the size of modern ones. Four bites. I almost fell over.

Another book I like is Nourishing Traditions.

Omnivore's Dilemma (Pollan) is fantastic too.

And From a Monastery Kitchen, The Classic Natural Foods Book is a great cookbook. ALL of Brother D'Avlia laTourrette's books are simple and fantastic. Fresh, simple food, and very French.

Not being a vegan or vegetarian, I am not really seeing anything particularly bad here as far as meals. I would make sure to keep up the veggies, maybe ncrease them, cook them various ways, try new ones. Roasted veggies are great, for instance, as are kale chips. (Seriously.)

The sugar piece is something else, and you might think about baking your own sweets and bumping up nutrition in them, using less sugar, maybe agave or the like.

Popcorn is a decent snack food. (Air poopers are not too $, and I often see them at yard sales & second hand stores.) Do the children like fruit?

Do you use extra vigin olive oil? I might switch to that, or maybe safflower oil.

What ingredients do you use when you cook? Small changes can help.

We like:

Spaghetti

Italian Beef in the crockpot/rolls/provolone cheese

Meatloaf

Roast chicken and veggies

Southwestern Soup

Potato Cheese Soup

Pasta e fagioli soup

Lasagna

Brownies

Chocolate Chip cookies

Ice Cream

Candy.....well, we do! I tell you we need help!

Oreo cheesecake straight from heaven...SIGH

etc.

Off to the bookstore. Will check back later!!

Edited by LibraryLover

Not being a vegan or vegetarian, I am not really seeing anything particularly bad here as far as meals. I would make sure to keep up the veggies, maybe ncrease them, cook them various ways, try new ones. Roasted veggies are great, for instance, as are kale chips. (Seriously.) Add fruit.

The sugar piece is something else, and you might think about baking your own sweets and bumping up nutrition in them, using less sugar, maybe agave or the like.

Popcorn is a decent snack food. (Air poopers are not too $, and I often see them at yard sales & second hand stores.)

Do you use extra vigin olive oil? I might switch to that, or maybe safflower oil.

What ingredients do you use when you cook? Small changes can help.

:iagree: We lost weight eating regular food and just using recipes from Cooking Light several years ago. The recipes not only try to balance flavor with fat/calories, but they use unprocessed ingredients, and the portion size / nutrition info is enlightening.