Menu

Question about guacamole

The texture won't change.

When you make it, cover it with plastic wrap smooshed down on the guacamole. Exposure to air makes it turn brown. It is fine to eat, just looks unappetizing. I sometimes just scrape the brown part off.

Yummyyummyguacamole!

ETA: Just the part exposed to air turns brwon, not the whole bowl.

Edited by unsinkable

The texture won't change.

When you make it, cover it with plastic wrap smooshed down on the guacamole. Exposure to air makes it turn brown. It is fine to eat, just looks unappetizing. I sometimes just scrape the brown part off.

Yummyyummyguacamole!

Yes, the plastic wrap. I spent a summer waiting tables in a Mexican restaurant that was renowned for its "fresh" guac, and the guac was often a couple of days old but had been stored like this. No one ever knew. Until now. ;)

Terri

The color change overnight is very unappetizing IMHO. Dh is the only one in our house who will still eat it.

I've heard that placing the pit back in the guacamole somehow helps limit the color change. I agree about smooshing the plastic wrap down right on the surface. I wonder if you could store it in a ziploc bag, sucking all of the air out. Maybe it would stay greener.

Yes, the plastic wrap. I spent a summer waiting tables in a Mexican restaurant that was renowned for its "fresh" guac, and the guac was often a couple of days old but had been stored like this. No one ever knew. Until now. ;)

Terri

Girl! We're going to get you a TV show! :lol: Do you have any experience opening Mobster's vaults, ala Geraldo?

Lime juice is part of the traditional flavor. You should include it even if you're not making it ahead of time.

We make ours and eat off it for a couple of days. If it's a little brown, I just stir it up. I wouldn't do it that way for a gathering though - I would try to make it fresh.

If you include lemon juice and plop the seed into the mix then cover with seran wrap (get the air out) and seal it will be fine! I also mix a little sour cream in to give it a creamier feel and lighter color. The seed works wonders for preserving the guacamole! :)