Menu

We Bought A Zoo movie should NOT be rated PG

:glare: Dh is on vacation this week so we took the kid's out to dinner, ice cream, and a movie tonight. We had to get up and walk out of that movie after seeing less than half of it. It at the very least should have been rated PG 13. They said sh.. twice back to back in 1-2 sentences, then the a-hole word right after that. DH and I decided to get up and walk out. I went to the mgr. and got our $42.50 back and explained how upset I was and that my children just heard words they've never heard before. After telling her what the words were, she completely agreed that it should not have have been rated that and she was going to email the studio with the complaint.

Just an FYI for anyone else considering seeing this movie with your family.

...It at the very least should have been rated PG 13. They said sh.. twice back to back in 1-2 sentences, then the a-hole word right after that...

Sadly, it seems like the language you describe is within the MPAA's PG guidelines:

G — General Audiences. All Ages Admitted. A G-rated motion picture contains nothing in theme, language, nudity, sex, violence or other matters that, in the view of the Rating Board, would offend parents whose younger children view the motion picture. The G rating is not a "certificate of approval," nor does it signify a "children’s" motion picture. Some snippets of language may go beyond polite conversation but they are common everyday expressions. No stronger words are present in G-rated motion pictures. Depictions of violence are minimal. No nudity, sex scenes or drug use are present in the motion picture.

PG — Parental Guidance Suggested. Some Material May Not Be Suitable For Children. A PG-rated motion picture should be investigated by parents before they let their younger children attend. The PG rating indicates, in the view of the Rating Board, that parents may consider some material unsuitable for their children, and parents should make that decision. The more mature themes in some PG-rated motion pictures may call for parental guidance. There may be some profanity and some depictions of violence or brief nudity. But these elements are not deemed so intense as to require that parents be strongly cautioned beyond the suggestion of parental guidance. There is no drug use content in a PG-rated motion picture.

PG-13 — Parents Strongly Cautioned. Some Material May Be Inappropriate For Children Under 13. A PG-13 rating is a sterner warning by the Rating Board to parents to determine whether their children under age 13 should view the motion picture, as some material might not be suited for them. A PG-13 motion picture may go beyond the PG rating in theme, violence, nudity, sensuality, language, adult activities or other elements, but does not reach the restricted R category. The theme of the motion picture by itself will not result in a rating greater than PG-13, although depictions of activities related to a mature theme may result in a restricted rating for the motion picture. Any drug use will initially require at least a PG-13 rating. More than brief nudity will require at least a PG-13 rating, but such nudity in a PG-13 rated motion picture generally will not be sexually oriented. There may be depictions of violence in a PG-13 movie, but generally not both realistic and extreme or persistent violence. A motion picture’s single use of one of the harsher sexually-derived words, though only as an expletive, initially requires at least a PG-13 rating. More than one such expletive requires an R rating, as must even one of those words used in a sexual context. The Rating Board nevertheless may rate such a motion picture PG-13 if, based on a special vote by a two-thirds majority, the Raters feel that most American parents would believe that a PG-13 rating is appropriate because of the context or manner in which the words are used or because the use of those words in the motion picture is inconspicuous.

Edited by askPauline
added G

PG — Parental Guidance Suggested. Some Material May Not Be Suitable For Children. A PG-rated motion picture should be investigated by parents before they let their younger children attend. The PG rating indicates, in the view of the Rating Board, that parents may consider some material unsuitable for their children, and parents should make that decision. The more mature themes in some PG-rated motion pictures may call for parental guidance. There may be some profanity and some depictions of violence or brief nudity. But these elements are not deemed so intense as to require that parents be strongly cautioned beyond the suggestion of parental guidance. There is no drug use content in a PG-rated motion picture.

Hmm..well, I guess that I won't put much stock in the rating system. I don't recall a lot of profanity other than da*n back in the day, and definitely don't remember brief nudity.

Sorry that didn't work out for you. If you want to see a really good family-friendly movie The Adventures of TinTin was fantastic. No profanity, no nudity, just lots of action. It did have one character (the sea captain) who was a drunk, but it's pretty mild and humourous.

We really enjoyed it. It was a fast-paced plot and true to the non-stop action of the books. My only disappointment was that TinTin is now British, instead of Belgian and they changed Millou's name to Snowy.

Edited by Audrey

I think in the future you should check out the reviews at this site. This review lists the objectionable language and you could have avoided it. I'm not as sensitive to what language my kids are exposed to but I always check out movies on this site.

I looked at pluggedin.com. The movie looks a little emotionally heavy for a kid movie. The brief nudity sounds like a pregnancy picture. Where the belly is shown and other parts are strategically covered.

Yeah, we will be skipping that one. I read that the 7 y/o girl character also calls an adult a d**k and that the topic of the mom's death in the movie can be a bit intense for some kids.

Not relevant to me but some of you may also want to know there's also an implication about the Easter bunny not being real during a scene where father and son are having an argument.

Hmm..well, I guess that I won't put much stock in the rating system. I don't recall a lot of profanity other than da*n back in the day, and definitely don't remember brief nudity.

I looked it up, and it turns out that PG13 was only introduced in 1984. Before that there was just G and PG, with PG meaning "Parental Guidance Suggested — Some Material May Not be Suitable for Pre-Teenagers", which is essentially what PG-13 means now. I think the problem is that nowadays, a G movie is assumed to be for little kids, so they lose a significant chunk of the potential audience. A 10 year old I saw at a family gathering would not even consider going to Tintin, as he perceived it as being for younger kids. (Tintin is also PG, but less for profanity and more for violence, I'm guessing.)

I looked it up, and it turns out that PG13 was only introduced in 1984. Before that there was just G and PG, with PG meaning "Parental Guidance Suggested — Some Material May Not be Suitable for Pre-Teenagers", which is essentially what PG-13 means now. I think the problem is that nowadays, a G movie is assumed to be for little kids, so they lose a significant chunk of the potential audience. A 10 year old I saw at a family gathering would not even consider going to Tintin, as he perceived it as being for younger kids. (Tintin is also PG, but less for profanity and more for violence, I'm guessing.)

TinTin's review.

Kids-in-Mind lists everything even potentially objectionable so that parents can decide whether a movie is appropriate for their kids.

Thank you so much for that link - fabulous site.

I was bummed when I saw that the movie had a PG rating as I stick to G ratings as a rule for my kids. I was hoping that after hearing some feedback it would have been appropriate. I'm so glad to have the head's up that it isn't.

Sorry that didn't work out for you. If you want to see a really good family-friendly movie The Adventures of TinTin was fantastic. No profanity, no nudity, just lots of action. It did have one character (the sea captain) who was a drunk, but it's pretty mild and humourous.

We really enjoyed it. It was a fast-paced plot and true to the non-stop action of the books. My only disappointment was that TinTin is now British, instead of Belgian and they changed Millou's name to Snowy.

Snowy is Milou's name in English, they didn't change it for the movie.

We also thought it was great and it's definitely not for younger kids. (ETA: I don't mean to say you shouldn't take younger kids, just that it's not aimed at the preschool crowd). It is action-packed. My 10 year-old son loved it, and went to see it a second time. I don't know why the accent is British (but thought Jamie Bell did an excellent job), in the cartoon I think it's Canadian. But not sure a Belgain accent would make that much sense either, lol.

ETA: I forgot to put in what I was going to post re: the OP! In The Mighty Ducks and The Goonies there are some words along those lines and they are uttered by kids. I don't think it's something new and I don't think it makes a movie deserve a PG-13 rating.

Edited by LeslieAnneLevine

Snowy is Milou's name in English, they didn't change it for the movie.

We also thought it was great and it's definitely not for younger kids. (ETA: I don't mean to say you shouldn't take younger kids, just that it's not aimed at the preschool crowd). It is action-packed. My 10 year-old son loved it, and went to see it a second time. I don't know why the accent is British (but thought Jamie Bell did an excellent job), in the cartoon I think it's Canadian. But not sure a Belgain accent would make that much sense either, lol.

I only know the original Hergé TinTin books which are in French. We probably have a dozen or more of them that were dh's books when he was little. Ds has loved them his whole life, I think! LOL! I did not know they changed Millou to Snowy for the English versions, so that makes sense now.

Well, those are the best. ;) The cartoon is better in French too, the English version sounds a bit awkward to me. I didn't feel that way about the movie though, I thought they did a really good job.

I do, too! They were very true to the plotlines and sequences of the books and the characterization really came off as authentic to me. We really loved it. There were many times when you would just forget it was animated and not live-action. It was incredibly well done all around!

I do, too! They were very true to the plotlines and sequences of the books and the characterization really came off as authentic to me. We really loved it. There were many times when you would just forget it was animated and not live-action. It was incredibly well done all around!

Hi Audrey--quick Tintin hijack--We were wondering if the headlines of the newspapers framed as wall art in Tintin's flat described some adventures/"cases" from the books. We loved the movie, but, not being at all familiar with the print version, thought maybe we were missing some bits and pieces. (We did catch the street artist's drawing of the animated Tintin as being his "comic book" self, that was obvious!)

I only know the original Hergé TinTin books which are in French. We probably have a dozen or more of them that were dh's books when he was little. Ds has loved them his whole life, I think! LOL! I did not know they changed Millou to Snowy for the English versions, so that makes sense now.

My kids have read them mostly in German, where they change the names of the Tintin/Millou to Tim(!!!) and Struppi. The Tim part really annoys me, but I'm guessing Tintin sounded too much like the German word for ink...

I've showed my kids some PG movies I remember from childhood (pre-PG-13 rating) and am shocked at the language that was in them. I think a lot of those would be rated PG-13 now.

This is a general question, not just directed to the OP.

If you have young kids who haven't heard certain swear words before, how do they even know the words are inappropriate?

If you ignore the word, wouldn't it just not sink in with the child?

How do they know "bad words" are "bad" if they have never heard them?

If you have young kids who haven't heard certain swear words before, how do they even know the words are inappropriate?

Along those lines, how is it that some children have never heard those words? My kids have heard them at the grocery store, the university where we go to Swim & Gym, definitely at the post office which ALWAYS has a line out the door, at restaurants, occasionally in the car from their own mother :blush:, and I'm sure other places as well.

OP- I, too, am impressed that the movie theatre gave you a refund.

Dh and I went online and read reviews about the movie the night before we took our children to see it. Not to any of the sites you all have suggested, but here are a couple comments I copied.

It was nice to go and see a good family movie without all of the cussing and sex scenes! Enjoyed this very very much, wish there was move movies like this, we would definately be going to the show a whole lot more.

Reply · 8 · · December 11 at 6:20pm

Vicky Lynn Marino

Excellent Movie! I recommend it for families with children. Very good family movie from beginning to end!

Reply · 1 · · Sunday at 7:14pm

:glare: REALLY???

We have seen lot's of PG movies with our children and didn't hear words like that. I can see there being words like da.. or hell thrown in a PG movie but not sh.. and a hole.:glare:

I understand that some of you are fine with this in a PG movie, but there are some that would not be, so I just wanted to let others know what to expect before going.

I can see there being words like da.. or hell thrown in a PG movie but not sh.. and a hole.:glare:

I hear ya! A-h is the most offensive foul word out there to my ear. Right up there with **** with a G*d in front of it!

My kids have made up their own "bad" words. They are starting to catch on with other kids around here. Don't know how far it'll reach, but if you hear pumpkincake, realize it's code for a-h! :001_huh:

Thanks for posting all of the movie review sites. I'll check them out.

I don't like watching movies with nonstop swearing. The occasional word doesn't really bug me. Unfortunately, my kids hear those words out and about in society. :glare: They also get to see half dressed people making out and groping each other in public. I guess that is all part of their socialization experience. :lol:

Did you never see any 80's kid's movies such as "The Goonies"....they were PG and loaded with swear words.

Seriously! I wasn't allowed to watch that movie. :lol: Actually I didn't see the vast majority of 80's kids movies and I was well into my tweens by the time they came out. I'm thankful now that my parents were so selective.

Our family is going to see that movie today. I had originally planned to take the kids, but after looking it up online (kids-in-mind.com) I quickly changed my mind. Yeah, definitely shouldn't be rated PG. So instead, the kids are staying with my parents (except for the 2 month old) and the rest of us are going (me, DH, MIL, and 15 year old nephew).

Is there a movie review website that gives a general review, as in "4 swear words and one booK shot," while not giving the entire plot and ending away? That's what drives me crazy about pluggedin and kids-in-mind. I can't stand to have the movie "ruined" before I even get to the theater.

I'm with the others who said their kids have already heard those words...from me. Oh well, I have never denied having a potty mouth. Maybe I should add "stop swearing" to my New Year's resolution list. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you so much for that link - fabulous site.

I was bummed when I saw that the movie had a PG rating as I stick to G ratings as a rule for my kids. I was hoping that after hearing some feedback it would have been appropriate. I'm so glad to have the head's up that it isn't.

I use the kids in mind site too....

Funny story.

Dh tried watching "Rudy" with the girls. He flipped the station and it was on and they all like sports. After an expletive laced scene, he said "Oops. Can't watch this. They are saying bad words." dd (5) turned to him and said, "But dad, I don't even know what bull$hit means.".

Yeah, I would not take young kids to a PG movie. We did not allow PG until dd was about 10 and then only carefully selected movies.

The movie Tangled was PG and I didn't personally see anything wrong with that movie.:001_huh: There are obviously different levels of PG movies out there.

I just posted this thread as an FYI for parents who may not want to talk that way in front of their children, or want to go see movies with them that has language like that in it.:)

Is there a movie review website that gives a general review, as in "4 swear words and one booK shot," while not giving the entire plot and ending away? That's what drives me crazy about pluggedin and kids-in-mind. I can't stand to have the movie "ruined" before I even get to the theater.

I'm with the others who said their kids have already heard those words...from me. Oh well, I have never denied having a potty mouth. Maybe I should add "stop swearing" to my New Year's resolution list. :tongue_smilie:

When I use plugged in I read the subtitles that are important to me. I do not read the intro and I skim the conclusion. Usually they will have a spoiler alert warning if they are about to give something away.