Menu

What are your favorite hors d'oeuvres?

Doesn't matter if they're homemade or store bought.

I'm working on a list of what I want to make for New Year's Eve. We've decided on a Lord of the Rings and hors d'oeuvres marathon. :001_smile:

I'll have to make everything vegan for my family, but I'd love to hear your favs, especially because I like to convert recipes.

I love small tasty foods! Sometimes I get a crazy feeling at get togethers, like I'm a kid and I want to shove all the yummy little things in my mouth.

Stuffed mushrooms are at the top of my list...

:lurk5:

those potato wedge/boat things are good and greasy - perfect movie food!

veggie sushi

veggie roll-ups (avocado or guacamole with ... maybe diced tomatoes or corn or grilled veggies stuffed inside; maybe shredded lettuce and carrot with sliced radishes and cukes - oh and sprouts; endless possibilities, depending on your taste preferences)

if you eat tempeh, you could do tempeh sliders (any flavor - bbq, sweet/sour, ...) or tempeh shish-ka-bobs (we like sweet/sour threaded with pineapply chunks and bell pepper wedges).

Cheeseless pizza crostinis: chips or make your own bread, then top with pizza stuff (sauce, spices) and fresh herbs

bean-burger patties served with dipping sauce OR as sliders (topped with sliced cukes and tomato)

bruschetta is an obvious and easy choice, too

different salsa varieties: mango, corn, etc. with a bowl of chips (not as boring as dip, I think?)

Doesn't matter if they're homemade or store bought.

I'm working on a list of what I want to make for New Year's Eve. We've decided on a Lord of the Rings and hors d'oeuvres marathon. :001_smile:

I'll have to make everything vegan for my family, but I'd love to hear your favs, especially because I like to convert recipes.

I love small tasty foods! Sometimes I get a crazy feeling at get togethers, like I'm a kid and I want to shove all the yummy little things in my mouth.

Stuffed mushrooms are at the top of my list...

I love apps, too! I'd rather have a bunch of little munchies than a whole meal.

This is very simple but might be hard to change to vegan.

Saute sliced mushrooms in butter with some garlic. Add 8 oz. of cream cheese and heat until melted. Serve with crackers or bread.

Hot Onion dip

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hot-onion-dip/detail.aspx

Although I only use 2 packages of cream cheese, not three.

Bacon Wrapped Chestnuts:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bacon-water-chestnut-wraps/detail.aspx

These will disappear the minute they come out of the oven!!

Texas Caviar:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/texas-caviar-i/detail.aspx

Cream Cheese Pesto Dip: Spread cream cheese in a buttered baking dish and spoon a thin layer of pesto on top. Throw it into a hot oven (400 degrees) for 10-15 minutes to warm it. Serve with toasted baguette slices, breadsticks, crackers, etc.

Jalapeno Popper Dip: Stir together 2 8oz pkg softened cream cheese, 1 C mayonnaise, 1 4oz can chopped green chiles, and 2 oz can diced jalapeno peppers until smooth. Pour into a baking dish and sprinkle with 1 C grated Parmesan cheese and 1/2 C Panko breadcrumbs. Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes. Serve with toasted baguette slices, crackers, etc.

Mini-quiche.

Bruschetta and/or tapenade.

Lil' Smokies.

Bacon-wrapped, cream-cheese-stuffed jalapeños.

Granted, those last two would be nigh on impossible to make vegan...

Mmmmmm...I could eat at your house anytime...

:lol:

I'd add a skewer of cherry tomatoes and a cube of mozzerella cheese drizzled with balsamic vinegar.

One of the most delicious appetizers I've had consisted of a little pastry shell (like the ones you can get in the freezer section) filled and baked with a little brie (?) cheese. I think it was brie. Or something very similar. Then topped with a fresh raspberry. I'm pretty sure the raspberry was NOT baked with the brie. Mmmmmm...it was perfection.

Thought I'd bump this one more time. :001_smile:

We're getting everything prepped today. So far I have spinach artichoke dip in bread bowl, Mexican layered dip, guacamole, veggies with dip, stuffed mushrooms, sauteed cherry tomatoes, and potato skins.

We're getting our new juicer today so I also bought kale and other good stuff, that has to balance the salt and grease right?! :tongue_smilie:

Oh yeah, my hubby also picked up vegan shrimp... not sure what he's going to do with that... shrimp ceviche maybe?

I might make a red pozole so there will be "real food" for the kids.