Menu

Steamers instead of irons - any experience.

LOVE my steamer - I worked in the back of a small store that used one (that was 90% of my job - take the clothes out of packaging and steam them) and bought one back when they first became available. I've never found a small hand held one that was worthwhile though, only those big ones with a floor unit and a hose. I'm on my second because DH talked me into getting rid of the first one (due to house size) - and I only made it about a year before I bought another. The only thing I wish mine had was an auto shutoff feature.

It is NOT the same as ironing though. It gets out wrinkles but it doesn't make sharp creases or press things. Also if the wrinkle is really pressed in you will have to steam a long time to get it out.

LL

I've never found a small hand held one that was worthwhile though, only those big ones with a floor unit and a hose.

The only thing I wish mine had was an auto shutoff feature.

It is NOT the same as ironing though. It gets out wrinkles but it doesn't make sharp creases or press things. Also if the wrinkle is really pressed in you will have to steam a long time to get it out.

LL

:iagree: I love my steamer and can not imagine my life without. I only pull out the iron when something needs a crease.

It doesn't replace an iron, but for me, it is worth the investment. I can wear a jacket, blazer, trousers or skirt to work and, if it isn't dirty, steam it back to perfect to wear again. This saves on dry cleaning as well as wear and tear on the clothes.

I will also use it to get the fabric looking nicer on blend blouses and dresses that get a bit wrinkly after laundering. I still use an iron for curtains, tablecloths, dress shirts, and pressing creases into pants or other items.

Thanks for the replies. I used to have a small cheap hand held one and got rid of it - gave it away.

I saw an ad for one that must have been in the $150 range, but on sale for around $70. It has a place to hang things up and looks like a professional one. Now if only I could remember where I saw the ad.