Menu

Yikes! I have never requested an AoPS grade. Should I?

Ds has been taking AoPS online classes since 7th grade. While I have saved all of his Challenge Set evaluations, I have never requested a grade. He is now in 10th grade. Do you think I should request a grade from here on out?

If I do that, will it look strange that he doesn't have an assigned grade from AoPS for his prior classes?

He will have ACT/Math Competitions/SATII to validate his transcript. Is this enough, or am I making a mistake by not getting an AoPS grade?

Ds has been taking AoPS online classes since 7th grade. While I have saved all of his Challenge Set evaluations, I have never requested a grade. He is now in 10th grade. Do you think I should request a grade from here on out?

If I do that, will it look strange that he doesn't have an assigned grade from AoPS for his prior classes?

I think that you'll be OK. The schools that will recognize AoPS on a transcript will be those schools that will understand that your children took very challenging coursework.

FWIW, I never requested a grade from AoPS, either. When my kids first took their online courses, they offered a certificate of completion ("with high honors" if the work was good enough), so I figured that was enough. When my daughter was mid-way through high school, they discontinued giving the certificates & offered optional grading instead.

I was comfortable using the comments on her challenge sets and my own knowledge of her work to issue the grade myself. Also, at the time, we thought that dd would use AoPS for a letter of recommendation for colleges (it turned out that she used Mathcamp staff instead), so I didn't see the need to also ask them for grades. Like you, I also thought it might look a little bit weird to start having formal grades issued when she was almost finished taking their courses.

He will have ACT/Math Competitions/SATII to validate his transcript. Is this enough, or am I making a mistake by not getting an AoPS grade?

My dd had ACT/SAT/SAT II/math competitions (AMC, USAMTS, Mandelbrot,etc), EPGY math, AP Stats online, math camps, etc. I think that's more than enough to corroborate the mommy grades on the other math classes.