Menu

History Major

What kind of jobs can a History Major do that are actually related in some way to that course of study.

My oldest ds has just recently informed me that he would like to Major in History when he goes to college. I am not very surprised, and I also understand that this could change later, but History is by far his favorite subject. He burns through History books, biographies, History texts, and History documentaries for fun. You can quiz him about anything especially related to WWII, and he will likely know more than you wanted to hear about the subject. He has even stated that he wants only the "hard" History classes in high school.

I know that you can major in something and work in an unrelated field, but I am wondering about jobs would use a History degree.

Danielle

Take a look at The College Board Website. With a quick search for history majors (w/out specifying a specialty w/in that field), the following careers came up:

Archivist

Curator

Librarian

Historian

Attorney

Teacher

One they didn't list was college professor. There are probably more careers available than they list.

Another helpful website for career planning is The Occupational Outlook Handbook, published by the U.S. Dept. of Labor. It is available free on their website. You can pick up a print copy at a bookstore for around $20. There will be a new one published in March (they are updated every two years). This resource is the most helpful career planning tool around, IMHO. It provides job titles, a description of the work that is done, training,qualifications & advancement, employment fields, job outlook, earnings, related occupations and sources for more information.

A search in the OOH for "history" yielded the following results (this is only a partial list):

Lawyer

News Analyst, Reporters, Correspondents

Social Scientists

Archivists, Curators & Museum Technicians

Teachers

Edited by TechWife

I know two history majors in our family. Both had small, semi-related jobs for a bit but went on to other things.

One joined the AmeriCore and helped very part-time at a local history site, then when no real job surfaced while 2 kids did, he went back to school in a different field, which he is in now. The other is in her 20s now, worked at a history center very part-time, then tried everything from grocery stores to an insurance company, and is without full-time employment right now, thinking of trying tutoring.

These two lived mostly in the midwest (MN, WI, MT) and the younger even tried Florida's tourism industry for a while, with no luck (even though she also is pretty fluent in Spanish).

Not good results in our family, even with unrelated, "just need a degree" types of jobs.

Julie

A BA in History is typically not the end degree and it is not a major that leads directly to a job - that is a separate search. I was a History major, and among myself and my friends in my major, several went on to an MA in Education (both elementary and secondary), one holds a JD, and a couple went to grad school for Public or Archival History. With the exception of myself (SAHM by choice) they all have jobs as lawyers, curators, or teachers, but grad school is usually necessary.

According to CBS News, US History majors have a 15% unemployment rate - http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_162-57325132/25-college-majors-with-the-highest-unemployment-rates/ Maybe he should consider double-majoring? Education degrees are in more demand, maybe he could get another major in secondary school education and teach history?

Your sig also suggests he likes science, just about ANY science major would be considerably more employable than a history major.

Also, since he's 11, I thought I'd mention 11 seems to be an age of trying on possibilities - my DD, who has been SET on being an engineer since she was 8, has informed me at various times this year that she's going to be a hair stylist, karate instructor, Zumba instructor, and an artist - the last was especially funny because this is a child who never draws anything, never paints, and has quit every craft she's ever started halfway through :)

Perhaps you could turn the discussion around...

A major lasts for only 3 or 4 years, a career can last decades. Why not have your son thinking about what sort of career he wants and then begin to choose majors based on that choice? He can always add a minor in history just for fun and perhaps gain the liberal arts benefits that lead institutions such as law schools to choose history students.

I would also have him researching colleges and universities that have programs he is interested in from an early date. There are places that do have departments of archeology, classics, museum curation and preservation, etc. Also, some of these professions require advanced degrees and not just an undergraduate degree. Best to know that when planning.

What kind of jobs can a History Major do that are actually related in some way to that course of study.

My oldest ds has just recently informed me that he would like to Major in History when he goes to college. I am not very surprised, and I also understand that this could change later, but History is by far his favorite subject. He burns through History books, biographies, History texts, and History documentaries for fun. You can quiz him about anything especially related to WWII, and he will likely know more than you wanted to hear about the subject. He has even stated that he wants only the "hard" History classes in high school.

I know that you can major in something and work in an unrelated field, but I am wondering about jobs would use a History degree.

Danielle

Military intelligence. Foreign Policy. Law.

I wanted to add that in the military, with a few exceptions, an officer's undergraduate degree does not determine what they end up doing. You don't have to be an aeronautical engineer to fly planes, for example. And I had an English degree and spent my active duty years as an engineering division officer and in anti-submarine warfare.

I should also add that several of the officers I know who are now using their history degrees and passion on a regular if not daily basis also spent years doing other things too (driving ships or flying planes) before shifting into a specialty that used their history knowledge more directly.

For folks wishing to go into Naval Intelligence via Officers' Candidate School (for applicants who already have a college degree), there are hundreds of applicants for each open slot. The most sucessful candidates have degrees (either multiple or graduate) as well as high level ability in languages (often more than one).

I do think that history is under studied. In the sense that we often seem to be surprised by events that were predictable if you followed either historical patterns or the historical background of a particular place or people. But I also think that a lot of history coursework in colleges is gack and that history is under valued (how those two things are related is a chicken and egg discussion).

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

My son graduated recently with a history major and is up for a Legislative Aide position at our state capitol -- politics and policy is his focus. Like most Liberal Arts majors, I consider a BA degree a stepping stone, not a solution to gainful employment. Pair it with internships, projects, mentoring, networking, volunteer service and you have a winner degree.

If it is a different history than US history, I echo this:

Military intelligence. Foreign Policy. Law.

Gov't jobs are definitely available for those who know their history - esp. asian & indo- type areas. I'd encourage some serious foreign language diversification, too, if possible.

Thanks. You have all given me much to think about and discuss with ds.

I understand he is young, but I knew exactly what I wanted to study since I was 8. His love of History goes beyond words. I am actually hoping to get him into Civil Air Patrol, or something similar, as I suspect this would be very good for him to develop leadership skills.

I do not want to dissuade him at all. I want him to study what he would like, but if a specific minor or double major would help...

His ideas about the career path he would like are still diverse. He is only 12, after all. (not sure why I posted 11.) I think he will begin to develop more ideas very soon. It is only recently that he seems to really be looking ahead. I know he would love to be one of the guys that a pawn shop calls.:D Also, a biographer, someone who studies ancient civilizations and their ruins, anything in defense, or maybe a professional video game tester. LOL

Thanks again for all the input.

Danielle